Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

First time flying SAS - advice needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Me and my partner will be flying SAS from ATH > CPH > LHR.
This will be our first time flying SAS, please help us with the below question.

1. We can bid for upgrade from Sas Go to Sas Plus. Bid starts at £35 for the ATH > CPH leg. Worth it?
2. If we bid and get the upgrade, are we going to be able to select special meal? (Vegan)
3. What lounge could we use in ATH?
4. If we upgrade only the first leg, can we use the SAS lounge in CPH? (Provided we miss our connecting flight)
5. Our layover is only 40 minutes between the 2 flights. Are the luggages going to make it? And are we?

Thank you for your help!
Old Aug 19, 2018, 12:05 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by let_BAegones_be
Me and my partner will be flying SAS from ATH > CPH > LHR.
This will be our first time flying SAS, please help us with the below question.

1. We can bid for upgrade from Sas Go to Sas Plus. Bid starts at £35 for the ATH > CPH leg. Worth it?
2. If we bid and get the upgrade, are we going to be able to select special meal? (Vegan)
3. What lounge could we use in ATH?
4. If we upgrade only the first leg, can we use the SAS lounge in CPH? (Provided we miss our connecting flight)
5. Our layover is only 40 minutes between the 2 flights. Are the luggages going to make it? And are we?

Thank you for your help!
1. Without status more than with.
2. Yes, but you need to order it 24h before the flight. If you place a successful bid, you will be usually notified 47 hours in advance.
3. LH or A3. You can choose or even try out both.
4. No.
5. If the plane is on time, yes. Otherwise maybe, depending on your delay and the possible delay of your connecting flight. Nevertheless that is SK‘s headache.
let_BAegones_be likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Thank you!
Another 2 questions:
-in Sas Plus are all drinks complimentary or just one with my meal?
- If we purchase duty free liquids in ATH, can we take it onto our connecting flight to LHR?

Thanks again.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 1:58 pm
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Thank you!
Another 2 questions:
-in Sas Plus are all drinks complimentary or just one with my meal?
- If we purchase duty free liquids in ATH, can we take it onto our connecting flight to LHR?

Thanks again.
All drinks are complimentary, in Plus.

Liquids can be brought onto the connecting flight, but have the store put it in a sealed bag in case of irregularities
Old Aug 24, 2018, 12:00 am
Original Poster

Our flight seems to be nearly full (2 seats left in SAS Plus).
We placed a bid to upgrade with a minimum amount.

It made me wonder, if a flight is full, at BA your chances of upgrading (not through bidding but other ways) are small when the plane is full, since they have to keep the middle seat open.

Since SAS does not guarantee you this, does a full flight means a smaller chance of an upgrade?
Old Aug 24, 2018, 1:08 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Surely, if a flight is full there are no seats to upgrade into.

Note that in SAS Plus there is no such thing as keeping the middle seat free (since you compare to BA). Good luck on your upgrade bid - do report back on the outcome.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 1:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SKT-DK
Surely, if a flight is full there are no seats to upgrade into.

I am not sure if you are right on this?
If the flight is full but there are 6 people who are willing to bid for SAS Plus, it would make sense to extend SAS Plus by 1 extra row and take the money from those 6 people.

Hence my question...
Old Aug 24, 2018, 1:29 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC

I am not sure if you are right on this?
If the flight is full but there are 6 people who are willing to bid for SAS Plus, it would make sense to extend SAS Plus by 1 extra row and take the money from those 6 people.

Hence my question...
From that perspective, I see your point - but you are assuming that SAS are smart enough to look at it this way
Commercially it would make sense to do, but likely not something they would do below a certain threshold of bid level (i.e. higher than minimum bid). And, as you say, it would require exactly six people bidding sufficient amounts (or 12, 18, etc) for this to work,
Old Aug 24, 2018, 1:38 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Since SAS does not guarantee you this, does a full flight means a smaller chance of an upgrade?
Yes and no. As you noticed, SK does not guarantee an empty middle seat. So if 6 people get upgraded, all they need to do is to extend the Plus section by one row.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: LH SEN* (*G), EBG (*G)
Just a note from my side, the chance of free middle seat is normally substantially higher in Plus, so I would do on such a long flight.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 5:35 am
Original Poster

Well the bid was accepted but my card transction did not go through.
I have updated the card details right away but I doubt it will go through now.

Not meant to be.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 8:49 am

Sorry to hear that. If if you are to fly tonight on SK2778, the aircraft is changed to LN-RKP, the infamous A340. Then you would have had lie-flat business class seats...
Old Aug 26, 2018, 9:09 am
Original Poster

I am flying in 2 days and if I understand correct apparently T-36 they can still try to take payment again so there a slight hope still.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 10:47 pm
Original Poster

upgraded

The upgrade has gone through and now sitting in row 1 in SAS Plus.

* The star alliance website suggests that we have to use the Goldair lounge. Since Sas Plus is not bysiness class, will they let us in to the Lufthansa lounge?

Thanks!

Last edited by let_BAegones_be; Aug 26, 2018 at 11:38 pm
Old Aug 27, 2018, 2:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
The upgrade has gone through and now sitting in row 1 in SAS Plus.

* The star alliance website suggests that we have to use the Goldair lounge. Since Sas Plus is not bysiness class, will they let us in to the Lufthansa lounge?

Thanks!
The Lufthansa business class lounges should let you in. The boarding pass is shown as C for just those purposes....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.