Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Can I move away from EB but keep my *A Gold?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2018, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

So today is the first day of a new award year with EB, I fly 45 flights a year with SAS so with the right calculations I just made gold again in time.

For me I really only want Gold for the fast track and lounge access and I'm stuck with SAS for my current commuting within Europe. But I do at least one long haul flight a year with other *A airlines and I feel I lose out and basically get nothing for it.

Is there a better way I can arrange this with a different *A card that will give me credit for my SAS fights but maximise the long haul benefits? Anyway I can do it so I don't lose access to my current benefits in the meantime? Or am I just being greedy?

I'm doing long haul with Singapore in a couple of weeks (all my travel is economy) so that was my first thought to move to...
Old May 1, 2018, 1:07 pm
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
If you are EB Gold, then your *A Gold status applies to all *A flights. So for your next long haul with SQ you will get lounges access, fast track and priority boarding.
Or did I misunderstood the problem ?
Old May 1, 2018, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Yes I know that but i get basically no points for the flight. So my question was if I should/can migrate over to a different FF to maximise the points on both my regular committing and the long haul. It seems that SAS don't give full credit for it *A flights (unless I'm missing something?)
Old May 1, 2018, 1:11 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
If you are looking to change your FFP I would recommend researching the different star programs to see what you would earn based on your normal flights. Once you are EBG its fairly easy to requalify for EBG so make sure you pick wisely
Old May 1, 2018, 1:12 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by Beecityuk
Yes I know that but i get basically no points for the flight. So my question was if I should/can migrate over to a different FF to maximise the points on both my regular committing and the long haul. It seems that SAS don't give full credit for it *A flights (unless I'm missing something?)
You are not going to generally earn much in deep discount economy anywhere in star alliance.
Old May 1, 2018, 1:16 pm
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
I have a hard time finding a SQ fare that does not credit to EB. Worse are the cheapest economy fares that gives 50% to EB. Except if you are a really frequent flyer, usually it is better to not spread too much eggs in different baskets, or you will find yourself with useless orphan miles that are lost.
For one long haul a year I would credit to EB, that is your best move. Even if you do not earn full mileage.
FFlash likes this.
Old May 1, 2018, 1:36 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Skip flying in the back of the plane. Because that is the real issue why you get less points. We know here that it usually costs more money. But hey, you have to set priorities.
FFlash likes this.
Old May 2, 2018, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by Jainzar
Skip flying in the back of the plane. Because that is the real issue why you get less points. We know here that it usually costs more money. But hey, you have to set priorities.
This is spot on. The issue here is not which FFP to choose (no FFP will give miles/points for cheap SQ flights) but the kind of tickets you buy. If you want points/miles you need to pay more for the ticket.

When you fly a lot with SK then by all means keep your EBG status; it would be crazy to change FFP just for 1-2 annual (cheap) longhaul tickets. You still get all the Star Alliance Gold benefits when travelling with SQ as EBG, so we are only talking about earning more miles/points. Hardly an issue IMO and certainly not worth paying a lot more to get into a higher booking class to increase the miles/point earning.

Last edited by SK AAR; May 2, 2018 at 2:21 am
Old May 2, 2018, 5:15 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
I think OP might be asking about FQTV/FQTS (credit to a non-*G FF, but use status of the *G FF to get benefits).

I think most airlines might still allow for it, but there is a thread on NZ forum that Carina (NZ system) officially stopped supporting FQTV/FQTS. There is also a thread on M&M forum that Lounge Reps in LO WAW lounge now change the FF numbers to the *G that user shows to get access.
Old May 2, 2018, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by TPJ
I think OP might be asking about FQTV/FQTS (credit to a non-*G FF, but use status of the *G FF to get benefits).

I think most airlines might still allow for it, but there is a thread on NZ forum that Carina (NZ system) officially stopped supporting FQTV/FQTS. There is also a thread on M&M forum that Lounge Reps in LO WAW lounge now change the FF numbers to the *G that user shows to get access.

Doing this can also create alot of work and heart ache if things dont go as planned.
Old May 2, 2018, 6:04 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Just bear in mind that if you're *G with an airline like SQ they're not going to treat you any better than *G from another airline. PPS that's another matter (kinda like SQ's version of the recently discussed *P status).

And if you want to get a decent shot at J redemptions on SQ then it's all about having the miles stored up in Kris Flyer (again, having *G in their own program is neither here nor there).
Old May 2, 2018, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by TPJ

When reading the initail post I doubt the OP had FQTV/FQTS in mind. Anyway, FQTV/FQTS only works in theory; in reality it never works. Good luck in trying to find an agent who knows how to deal with FQTV/FQTS.
Old May 2, 2018, 1:44 pm

Programs: LH SEN* (*G), EBG (*G)
I agree, if you mainly fly SK, you will probably get the most miles on EB.
Old May 4, 2018, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by SK AAR
When reading the initail post I doubt the OP had FQTV/FQTS in mind. Anyway, FQTV/FQTS only works in theory; in reality it never works. Good luck in trying to find an agent who knows how to deal with FQTV/FQTS.
FQTV/FQTS used to work well within NZ providing you encountered an educated agent/staff, and I educated a few LOL.

I am TG*G but for domestic flights it was better to earn into NZ. Anyway, NZ have gone firm on only having 1 FF number in the system these days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.