Wiki Posts
Search

EU261 question

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2018, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aadvantage, EBS
EU261 question

My flight was cancelled so got to the final destination over 7hrs later. Posted the complaint through SK website and received a reply from SAS that due to the extraordinary circumstances at a third airport my plane could not depart for my departure airport and therefore I am not entitled to compensation. The flight in this case was a AMS-CPH leg on MAR 1.

Has anyone had similar experiences with SK? Is my understanding correct that the so-called knock-on effect should not be considered as extraordinary?
Old Mar 16, 2018, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by budenholzer
Is my understanding correct that the so-called knock-on effect should not be considered as extraordinary?
This statement is too general. Knock-on effects of cancellations or delays caused by extraordinary circumstances, will also be considered extraordinary unless the carrier reasonably could have avoided or prevented the knock-on effects from occuring.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aadvantage, EBS
Originally Posted by SK AAR
This statement is too general. Knock-on effects of cancellations or delays caused by extraordinary circumstances, will also be considered extraordinary unless the carrier reasonably could have avoided or prevented the knock-on effects from occuring.
Thanks!

the explanation was that only one runway was operational at ARN, so the plane could not take off. Would it be considered extraordinary in this case?
Old Mar 17, 2018, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Just to make sure I understand this correctly. Your AMS-CPH was cancelled because incoming flight (ARN-AMS) was cancelled due to non-operational runway at ARN? Or was it a ARN-CPH flight that was cancelled which lead to cancellation of CPH-AMS and your flight AMS-CPH? Non-operational runway is extraordinary circumstance and totally outside the control of the carrier (I hope we all can agree to that) and in the first situation there is no doubt that the knock-on effects on the subsequent flight (your AMS-CPH flight) will be considered extraordinary as well. The latter situation is more unclear as one could argue that SK should have deployed another aircraft at CPH to operate the AMS flights when incoming flight from ARN was cancelled but it may be that there was no spare aircraft available at CPH or for other reasons it was not possible to operate the AMS flights with a different aircraft. If there is a reasonable explanation why SK was unable to use a different aircraft to AMS, the cancellations of the AMS flights will be considered extraordinary also. So the latter situation is more difficult and uncertain to deal with.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 5:07 am

Programs: Eurobonus Lifetime Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, Turkish Airlines Elite
Originally Posted by budenholzer
My flight was cancelled so got to the final destination over 7hrs later. The flight in this case was a AMS-CPH leg on MAR 1.
Rebooking you to one of the 3-4 daily KL flights was not a option? Though of course this would have been a much more expensive solution for SK...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.