Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Using United Miles for SAS flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2017, 5:43 am
Original Poster

Hi all, I have a question that I could not find an answer to easily online.

If I book SAS flights through United Milage Plus portal (with united miles), will I earn points with SAS Eurobonus on those flights, and more important... will those segments count towards membership levels at SAS?

Many thanks!

Last edited by Droins; Oct 13, 2017 at 6:00 am
Old Oct 13, 2017, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Droins
Hi all, I have a question that I could not find an easy answer to online.

If I book SAS flights through United Milage Plus portal (with united miles), will I earn points with SAS Eurobonus on those flights, and more important... will those segments count towards membership at SAS?

Cheers,
No and no.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 6:52 am
Suspended

Programs: Lowest level possible
If you use miles to book award flights, you will not earn any miles on any airline. The only possible exception would be in a very rare situation where there's IRROPS and they rebook you into a mileage-earning fare class (by mistake, or to get it done quicker). But that would be very rare and not something you should count on. Assume that you won't earn any miles.

As for earning segments towards SAS elite membership when using United miles, I'm 99.9% sure that you won't.
Droins likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 7:00 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
If I understand correctly, you want to book an award flight. As a rule of thumb those flights earn neither points nor segments on any program.

UA will use the award flight's booking class and that earns you nothing.
Droins likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Got it,

I just did not know how much rewards programs communicate with each other, and thought that registering a flight in SAS, even though it is UA reward flight, may fly.

Thanks all!
Old Oct 13, 2017, 7:20 am
Suspended

Programs: Lowest level possible
Originally Posted by Droins
I just did not know how much rewards programs communicate with each other, and thought that registering a flight in SAS, even though it is UA reward flight, may fly.
Star Alliance airlines use common booking codes for award flights (X - Economy, I - Business, O - First). When a reservation made in the United system is transferred to the SAS system, the SAS system will identify the flights as being booked with miles, and no miles will be earned.
Droins likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.