Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Booking Star Alliance Awards on multiple airlines.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2017, 4:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: More than one

I'm a SK EuroBonus member, and have acquired enough points for the first class trip to Sydney. But now SK tells me that LH, LX and SQ do not have any award ticket in First.

Does anyone know whether this is true, or is it due to the time I plan to travel? Currently I'm planing to go sometime in October.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 5:03 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
At least for LH you can get first class award tickets. But as a rule of thumb award space is released only in short notice i.e. around 14 days before departure.

A good description can be found in Swedish under Businessclass.se - Tips: Boka Lufthansa First med EuroBonus poäng
Old Jul 11, 2017, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Getting F seats on SQ is close to impossible. LX and LH does not release F seats until closely before departure but LX/LH will only get you to BKK/SIN/NRT/PVG/BJS/ICN.

Sorry to say this, but it may turn out very very difficult to book an EB ticket to SYD - even if you are very flexible with your dates and are prepared to accept business class.

QR has some very nice offers C class offers to AKL at the moment (I know AKL is not SYD but neverthelesss)
Old Jul 11, 2017, 6:17 am

One thing to add: You cannot book LX F unless holding Miles and More SEN or HON status.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
If you want to fly to Sydney in F, look for Thai. They are usually the best with advance availability. Though now booking for October is really not well in advance, you might well have to wait for the close in extra availability.

ANA us good with short term availability, so F to HND but then only J to. SYD. There is no F cabin to SYD. But you might need a bit of time. In Tokyo if the days don't match for F.

LH two weeks out is usually pretty good if you are slightly flexible.

SQ and LX as Eurobonus member is as mentioned basically a no go.
​​​​​
Old Jul 11, 2017, 10:25 am
Original Poster

I got an offer for Thai out and Thai/Turkey back, but I was looking for multiple airlines and different aircraft types, specially the A380's which I has never tried before. Also I don't mind long layovers.
This is a leisure trip with a lot of flexibility in the dates and routes. The travel is more than just getting from a to b. It's as important as the destination.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fassy
One thing to add: You cannot book LX F unless holding Miles and More SEN or HON status.
So much for being part of Star Alliance.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Thai flyers the A380 to Frankfurt and Paris. So it should be possible to get an A380 flight with them.

ANA's website allows for award searches on Star Alliance flights, you can use them to search for availability. You need to create an account though. It is a better way to find the availability you want, then call SK asking them to book specific segments.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 5:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
ANA's website allows for award searches on Star Alliance flights, you can use them to search for availability. You need to create an account though. It is a better way to find the availability you want, then call SK asking them to book specific segments.
Thanks. That's a very useful tip.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 10:25 am

I find the UA website much better for searching *A awards seats and so far haven't seen huge discrepancies in available space between Air Canada, United or ANA search tools.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fassy
I find the UA website much better for searching *A awards seats and so far haven't seen huge discrepancies in available space between Air Canada, United or ANA search tools.
Does UA require you to have an account to search? The reason I go to NH, was that was the one everyone was talking about at a point. Then I did not look further since...
Old Jul 12, 2017, 3:55 pm

No need to have an account to use the United search.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 4:23 am
Original Poster

I've tried both, but they don't even give me the options I got talking to SK directly. Looks a little like they only give options on the flights where they have partner ships in parallel with Star Alliance.

I do agree that UA gives more options than ANA, but still far from what I got from SK directly.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by highupinthesky
I've tried both, but they don't even give me the options I got talking to SK directly. Looks a little like they only give options on the flights where they have partner ships in parallel with Star Alliance.

I do agree that UA gives more options than ANA, but still far from what I got from SK directly.
Just to be clear, your point is the SK sees more availability than the UA or NH search engines? That's how I would understand your post....
Old Jul 13, 2017, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Just to be clear, your point is the SK sees more availability than the UA or NH search engines? That's how I would understand your post....
That's correct. The TA at SK I talked to gave me an itinerary which had Thai first class flights on the outbound leg from FRA to SYD over BKK. On UA and NH, I don't see any Thai award flights at all on any dates in October. Not even if I search for them individually.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.