Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

ORD-CPH business class award availability

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2017, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

I was hoping to use Air Canada Aeroplan miles to fly SAS nonstop from Chicago to Copenhagen on August 22. My timing is not very flexible as I have relatives visiting me in Chicago until August 21 and I have to be in England for a wedding on September 2. I'm hoping to get a nice 10 day trip to Scandinavia (route TBD...Denmark and Norway maybe?) which I've never been to before.

I thought I saw availability for this route during August when I looked a few months ago, but now there appears to be close to 0 availability on that route for most any day unless I look out to November. If I'm patient and wait, is SAS likely to release more seats? The best alternative looks like United to Dublin in a crappy configuration, then a long layover before continuing to Copenhagen on SAS. Not very appealing.

I could be talked into flying to Stockholm instead of Copenhagen, seeing as I haven't been to either, but there's no nonstop award availability on that route either.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by bfwolf
I was hoping to use Air Canada Aeroplan miles to fly SAS nonstop from Chicago to Copenhagen on August 22. My timing is not very flexible as I have relatives visiting me in Chicago until August 21 and I have to be in England for a wedding on September 2. I'm hoping to get a nice 10 day trip to Scandinavia (route TBD...Denmark and Norway maybe?) which I've never been to before.

I thought I saw availability for this route during August when I looked a few months ago, but now there appears to be close to 0 availability on that route for most any day unless I look out to November. If I'm patient and wait, is SAS likely to release more seats? The best alternative looks like United to Dublin in a crappy configuration, then a long layover before continuing to Copenhagen on SAS. Not very appealing.

I could be talked into flying to Stockholm instead of Copenhagen, seeing as I haven't been to either, but there's no nonstop award availability on that route either.
August is part of the peak summer travel period in Scandinavia. Awards go quickly, and the planes generally sell out. SK is unlikely to release more seats. They are pretty bad at this even in off peak seasons....
Old Jan 21, 2017, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
I agree, don't count on an award seat becoming available - it is unlikely once gone. And as you are only able to travel on 22 Aug it will be like finding a needle in hay stack - not going to happen. You need to rethink your options.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 1:45 am

Programs: EBG4Life, EBD, 1MM
I agree as well. We traditionally book this route in summer and generally book in Sept/Oct as availability dries up. Sadly you likely missed your chance a few months ago.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Conclusion to this story:

I booked an award flight that went from ORD->JFK in the morning on United then EWR->ZRH->CPH in the evening on Swiss. It was the best availability I could find, and I figured at least I could spend the day with a friend in New York City before the EWR->ZRH segment.

However, when I booked the Aeroplan operator told me that changes were only $100 Canadian, so I put a reminder in my phone to check every week and see if something better opened up. Well, today it did! A business class award seat on the nonstop SAS flight from ORD to CPH became available so I switched to it.

Total cost to me for the change was $130 Canadian (about $100 US) since I had to pay $30 Canadian when I booked the original itinerary over the phone with Aeroplan since it's not something that I could put together online. The nonstop flight of course I could have booked without that charge. Still, that's not a horrible cost to have something locked down given my inflexibility and then have the ability to switch to a much better itinerary if it opened up, which thankfully it did!
Old Mar 24, 2017, 2:47 am

Originally Posted by bfwolf
Conclusion to this story:

I booked an award flight that went from ORD->JFK in the morning on United then EWR->ZRH->CPH in the evening on Swiss. It was the best availability I could find, and I figured at least I could spend the day with a friend in New York City before the EWR->ZRH segment.

However, when I booked the Aeroplan operator told me that changes were only $100 Canadian, so I put a reminder in my phone to check every week and see if something better opened up. Well, today it did! A business class award seat on the nonstop SAS flight from ORD to CPH became available so I switched to it.

Total cost to me for the change was $130 Canadian (about $100 US) since I had to pay $30 Canadian when I booked the original itinerary over the phone with Aeroplan since it's not something that I could put together online. The nonstop flight of course I could have booked without that charge. Still, that's not a horrible cost to have something locked down given my inflexibility and then have the ability to switch to a much better itinerary if it opened up, which thankfully it did!
Congratulations - well done. I just proves that there is still hope.
Enjoy your vacation in Denmark/Norway. Great time of year. Good chances on good weather and most people are back at school/work

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.