Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Let's eat, or let's not eat [SAS Catering Discussions]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Let's eat, or let's not eat [SAS Catering Discussions]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2021, 3:18 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I just can’t get out of my habit of calling it Sodexho. Sodexho Marriott was to be avoided and so is Sodexo. Unless wanting to go cheap. And even then.
Old Dec 10, 2021, 12:18 am

Programs: SK*G (EBD)
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I just can’t get out of my habit of calling it Sodexho. Sodexho Marriott was to be avoided and so is Sodexo. Unless wanting to go cheap. And even then.
At least good behavior would help your position at the Sodexho Marriott...
Old Dec 10, 2021, 12:27 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by tr3k
That's possible (though I am yet to have a good meal that came out of "Gate gourmet").
Well, Gategourmet is the main caterer to SQ, so they can rise to the occasion if paid for it: https://www.businessinsider.com/how-...irlines-2018-4

GateGourmet bought LSG in Europe and now does all on LH's catering including the FCL in MUC. LX has been GateGourmet since ages and I don't recall any complaints on the food quality.
Old Dec 10, 2021, 5:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JR67
At least good behavior would help your position at the Sodexho Marriott...
Sodxeho left some people with a bad aftertaste, even as they paid surprisingly well as a client when in a rush to get what they wanted. Sodexho/Sodexho Marriott/Sodexo was a provider of food to a range of colleges/universities and also to prisons, and the running joke was that the prisons were the institutions that got the better food. I don't know what became of Sodexho's minority shareholder stake in the Corrections Corporation of America, but there was that "you scratch my back, I scratch your back" business going on even without any dropping the soap.

Food catering in and out of the airline business is a product of what the clients put into the contract, including: what the clients want to pay; how the clients manage what the contracted caterers deliver; and how service failures are measured and translate into any real amount of money.

But like with SAS, airlines are notorious for going as cheap as they think the market will bare without costing it business and thus do so. Add in the tendency of "settled-in" management being lazy, the ways of fresh management, and some other typical dynamics in many a large company, and we get airline food that is arguably more fit for becoming compost -- before being packed -- than it is for becoming part of a tasty, nutritious diet.

Except at times when flying SAS in TATL business class, it's a safer bet for me to count on SAS food mainly being something best skipped over by me. Not because of its cost, but because it's just blahhhhhh.

Last edited by GUWonder; Dec 10, 2021 at 5:26 am
Old Dec 10, 2021, 8:40 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
Few weeks ago in PLUS shorthaul: a very taste lunch box with juicy pieces of salmon. Sadly hit it only once.
This week in PLUS shorthaul: a disgusting box with smoked chicken meat (did not know the concept?) - it tasted like a box that was a week old. It was so bad that I actually checked the expiry date, and strangely it was not expired.
gojko88 and gioannis13 like this.

Last edited by SK2751; Dec 13, 2021 at 4:25 am
Old Dec 10, 2021, 2:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Sodexo also caters the CX lounges in HKG which are considered one the best lounge complexes… Do&Co is not a charity, if you specify low standards and pay peanuts, the will deliver the same.
Sodexo is always a cost cutting measure - just check out the before and after experiences of the CX lounges at HKG with those of us who use them.
Dover2Golf and clubeurope like this.
Old Dec 12, 2021, 12:49 pm

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by SK2751
Few weeks in PLUS shorthaul: a very taste lunch box with juicy pieces of salmon. Sadly hit it only once.
This week in PLUS shorthaul: a disgusting box with smoked chicken meat (did not know the concept?) - it tasted like a box that was a week old. It was so bad that I actually checked the expiry date, and strangely it was not expired.
Yea, they seem to have moved away from the pathetic cube to an even more pathetic box. No hot meal options except for a vegetarian pizza role, who would eat that?? Further downhill for SAS.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 5:16 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
No hot meal options except for a vegetarian pizza role, who would eat that??
Well I have and compared to some things that came in the cube it was OK!
lhrpete likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 1:34 pm

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
Today on a 1h30 minutes flight intra Schengen, the plus pax were offered a bag of chips, a pack of nuts, or a chocolate bar. (Plus the usual drink service). The box/cube was not offered. The FA shown me all the drawers in the trolley, and it looked sad. Left overs here and there. There was no apologies from the crew that they have not been loaded, or anything like that. Is this a new low for PLUS? I certainly hope that this was an anomaly.

(This was a dinner time flight, ca. 18.30 departure)
Old Jan 28, 2022, 12:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SK2751
Today on a 1h30 minutes flight intra Schengen, the plus pax were offered a bag of chips, a pack of nuts, or a chocolate bar. (Plus the usual drink service). The box/cube was not offered. The FA shown me all the drawers in the trolley, and it looked sad. Left overs here and there. There was no apologies from the crew that they have not been loaded, or anything like that. Is this a new low for PLUS? I certainly hope that this was an anomaly.

(This was a dinner time flight, ca. 18.30 departure)
Seems like this was a preview in what to expect when a catering strike hits some SAS flights, even before the catering strike hit.
the810 and SK2751 like this.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 7:23 am

For the last three months in Plus between the capital cities and London, I have been offered a pork salad. Of course there's no choice except the few things on the menu but I don't eat pork and judging by the reactions of others around me nor do quite a few more. Yesterday on OSL-LHR the plane was full and I declined the pork salad, the other five in the row took it and three of them looked at it and sent it back untouched.

Am I the only one who thinks pork is a bizarre and totally inappropriate thing to offer when there is no choice? I can't think of an airline that even puts it on the menu when there is a choice and yet SAS are serving it for months on end - I first encountered it at the beginning of April but it might have been around earlier.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Harper50505
For the last three months in Plus between the capital cities and London, I have been offered a pork salad. Of course there's no choice except the few things on the menu but I don't eat pork and judging by the reactions of others around me nor do quite a few more. Yesterday on OSL-LHR the plane was full and I declined the pork salad, the other five in the row took it and three of them looked at it and sent it back untouched.

Am I the only one who thinks pork is a bizarre and totally inappropriate thing to offer when there is no choice? I can't think of an airline that even puts it on the menu when there is a choice and yet SAS are serving it for months on end - I first encountered it at the beginning of April but it might have been around earlier.
Almost anything that can go in to a salad could be a problem for some people. People who don't eat beef, shell fish allergies, people who don't want fish, etc. etc. etc. If you only have one choice available, there will be people that can't/won't eat it. (not talking about the quality of the product)

Pork is in my best view not more or less strange than anything else. Bacon is a standard part of a cesar salad, that is not an unusual dish. Maybe the execution is pretty bad causing people to send it back in droves?
the810 likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Almost anything that can go in to a salad could be a problem for some people. People who don't eat beef, shell fish allergies, people who don't want fish, etc. etc. etc. If you only have one choice available, there will be people that can't/won't eat it. (not talking about the quality of the product)

Pork is in my best view not more or less strange than anything else. Bacon is a standard part of a cesar salad, that is not an unusual dish. Maybe the execution is pretty bad causing people to send it back in droves?
Well, arguably "pork" is one of those meats which are banned by quite a lot of religious and ethnic groups.... and more and more Europeans stopped eating massive amount of pork as well. To be honest, I haven't eaten pork for ages (besides some bacon or prosciutto)... I just don't like it anymore... that said as a German, which is the capital of pork consumption (probably together with Poland, Denmark, Austria). And no, bacon doesn't belong on caesar salad for me - at all...

The safe choice if you only can offer on choice would be vegetarian. Which is absolutely fine from my point of view.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 9:08 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by fassy
​​​The safe choice if you only can offer on choice would be vegetarian. Which is absolutely fine from my point of view.
Being from central Europe, I beg to differ. If it doesn't have any meat in it, it's not food 😀

With exception of some pasta (which is always terrible on a plane), I outright decline food if only vegetarian option is available.

The truth is that having only one option is inevitably going to lead to disappointment and it's a terrible trend. I can accept only one choice on board if there is a comprehensive pre-order offer. This is why I really like Air Baltic which has one of the largest menus in the industry and I can get more or less exactly what I want (at least in economy, no idea what the policy is in business).
FlyingMoose and Harper50505 like this.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by the810
Being from central Europe, I beg to differ. If it doesn't have any meat in it, it's not food 😀

With exception of some pasta (which is always terrible on a plane), I outright decline food if only vegetarian option is available.
I am a meet lover... don't get me wrong. Beef, lamb, poultry, fish, seafood... all fine and good. But if you design a basic food concept you want to offer a huge divers group of people, the chance to go wrong with meat is much higher as with vegetarian. And I found pasta often being the better choice on Y flights.... at times where there still was a choice in Y

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.