Wiki Posts
Search

Move from TK to SK

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2016, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Move from TK to SK

Hi there,

I am a newbie here not sure if it could be post here.
Am currently TKG and base in BER, fly 2-4 times every year to PEK and available in Pre-Eco (Biz maximal 1 times). And 10 times around Europe.
It seems like the lowest fare to Pek is always with SK(AF/KL outside of *A) not only for eco but also Pre-Eco and Biz.
And by TK need to purchase high tax & Fee for the Award is kind of pain for me.

So Am considering if it is more worthy to move to SK. As it has now 10 years consecutive gold member for lifetime. 45k at SK is kind of achievable for me.

Except SK i will also fly with NH/CA/A3 and maybe LH...

Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 9:33 am

Programs: *G
*G with SK/EB is very achievable, but I wouldn't personally count on the lifetime gold. It's too uncertain if EuroBonus and even SAS as they are today will exist by then.
Otherwise the program is likely to be OK for you, depending on you'd like to redeem your points. The points are pretty good for awards on SK metal and upgrades on SK. However you never know when things change...
Do you have any more specific questions?
Old Dec 17, 2016, 3:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by studentCPH
*G with SK/EB is very achievable, but I wouldn't personally count on the lifetime gold. It's too uncertain if EuroBonus and even SAS as they are today will exist by then.
Otherwise the program is likely to be OK for you, depending on you'd like to redeem your points. The points are pretty good for awards on SK metal and upgrades on SK. However you never know when things change...
Do you have any more specific questions?
Thanks for the advice.
Sure the awards on SK metal is fine but for all the other *A could be a pain, so am just thinking use it only for Asia-Europe. Although if I couldn't redeem on the other airline such as NH or SQ, the fun on redeeming miles goes half.
lifetime status is kind of my goal but i could understand it shouldn't be counted into that as no one know how the airlines in the next couple of year going, well seems like QF should be always fine. But personally i dont know very well about SK as it aiming for cost cut in these years.

These 2 points are the discussion point for me if I should move to SK.
For TK i could easily keep Elite there and maybe even EP, and i could also redeem the miles on the other airline which have low tax&Fee seems not to bad.
However,
1. Miles for TK can only live for 3 years and by SK it is 5 years and even could be extend by Diamond Status.
2. If i fly with TK it could be always only L fare which is only 25% on it. The biz of it is too expensive for me from TXL, like never under 2k5. To keep status flying with SK is no matter for me but then there aren't any sense to keep TK status but fly more with SK or? (Really need some advice here)
So, although i could keep EP by TK but buy a ticket and up it with voucher, still i couldn't earning so much miles on it. like 1 year 2 times with SK 1 times with TK or even 3 Times with SK 1 times with TK...dont really know how worthy it is.

And again back to the lifetime status...well maybe a kids' thought, if at the end i could keep TK for 10 years then maybe i should choose SK if it just stay like this. Of course no one know how its going and maybe TK will give also that in the future.

Sorry for so many points but thanks for your advice in advance.

LG
Old Dec 22, 2016, 12:38 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
As was said before, with what you write, you will have a financial benefit from switching to SK, while the service you obtain as SK*G is similar to TK*G. It makes sense short term. The lounge in CPH is nothing fancy, comparing to IST, but personally I would prefer to connect in CPH over IST for many routes (but I am a busy man so for me efficiency is key; if you indulge in diverse lounge experiences, it might be different for you).

As for lifetime membership, I agree with others that you should not take it into account right now. It is unclear how prices and markets will look even in a year, so it might be impractical to invest in a lifetime membership. And then remember, that "lifetime" means not "your lifetime", but "Eurobonus lifetime", which is a very shaky concept. This I would only take into account, if I was close to the 10 years mark.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 3:54 am

Programs: TK*G, SK*S, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
I am Elite Plus with TK but making the move to SK right now. I used to be EBG many years ago but decided to switch to first BD and then TK. I liked TK a lot with the two free upgrades, the lounge in Istanbul and the great availability for business awards (I was even able to grab a seat in C from SFO to ARN via IST this summer!).

However, recent political events (I do not like to support autocratic governments) and TK's treatment of their staff has made me think twice. As a Swede, there is also the excellent co-branded Amex cards and the 2-1 voucher to take into consideration. All this, and the possibility of maybe making EBD, made me change programmes. I am doing this in my "off-year" while I have already renewed Elite Plus so the decision may not be definite. Thanks to the new automated gates in CPH/ARN, it is a breeze to have my EBS on the ticket and then just swipe the TK*G card to enter the lounge...
Old Dec 22, 2016, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wazow
As was said before, with what you write, you will have a financial benefit from switching to SK, while the service you obtain as SK*G is similar to TK*G. It makes sense short term. The lounge in CPH is nothing fancy, comparing to IST, but personally I would prefer to connect in CPH over IST for many routes (but I am a busy man so for me efficiency is key; if you indulge in diverse lounge experiences, it might be different for you).

As for lifetime membership, I agree with others that you should not take it into account right now. It is unclear how prices and markets will look even in a year, so it might be impractical to invest in a lifetime membership. And then remember, that "lifetime" means not "your lifetime", but "Eurobonus lifetime", which is a very shaky concept. This I would only take into account, if I was close to the 10 years mark.
Thanks for the clear analysis. I agree fully the points. It could be just a "try" to look forward that "lifetime" as an expectation but not good to count that within benefit. I would like to give a try to experience how EBG/EBD going on in the coming years as I am planning to fly with SK metal.
Well maybe if there comes more new lines in the next year from the "new" BER Airport, thus i could choose more, not only the airline but as FFP as well.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ErasmusEBS
I am Elite Plus with TK but making the move to SK right now. I used to be EBG many years ago but decided to switch to first BD and then TK. I liked TK a lot with the two free upgrades, the lounge in Istanbul and the great availability for business awards (I was even able to grab a seat in C from SFO to ARN via IST this summer!).

However, recent political events (I do not like to support autocratic governments) and TK's treatment of their staff has made me think twice. As a Swede, there is also the excellent co-branded Amex cards and the 2-1 voucher to take into consideration. All this, and the possibility of maybe making EBD, made me change programmes. I am doing this in my "off-year" while I have already renewed Elite Plus so the decision may not be definite. Thanks to the new automated gates in CPH/ARN, it is a breeze to have my EBS on the ticket and then just swipe the TK*G card to enter the lounge...
Ye, as i did think those points as well so i am considering the necessity moving to EB. Flying with J of TK is a kind of pleasure compare with the other ”european lines“ which i did also aim for the E+. However, after i find it that i won't fly TK so much except with that voucher, i just wondering myself how big sense it makes. Enter the CIP in IST is really amazing even compare with Pier at HKG, but truely...the purpose for the FFP is not all for that.
Thanks for your suggestion which encourage me a lot to have a try with it & Thanks you all guys for the help!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.