Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS is considering bases in low cost countries

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAS is considering bases in low cost countries

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: SK*Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Melia Gold
I flew CPH-NCE on 29 Dec, operated by SAS Ireland. The crew were not Scandinavian: based on their names they were English or Spanish, there were no announcements in any Scandinavian language, and also when one passenger addressed the steward in Swedish, she was politely asked to repeat in English. Nothing else differed, the service was exactly the same.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 3:27 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
I noticed some flights are now operated by AirNostrum. Is this related to the plan of Spanish bases? I did not see this before.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 4:21 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by SK2751
I noticed some flights are now operated by AirNostrum. Is this related to the plan of Spanish bases? I did not see this before.
I think it is just a standard wet lease. WX (City Jet) is the other one.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 5:54 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by radu
I flew CPH-NCE on 29 Dec, operated by SAS Ireland. The crew were not Scandinavian: based on their names they were English or Spanish, there were no announcements in any Scandinavian language, and also when one passenger addressed the steward in Swedish, she was politely asked to repeat in English. Nothing else differed, the service was exactly the same.
Wait, are their Irish and Spanish hires educated in the extremely poor Scandinavian service standard or did you mean the in-flight concept was the same in terms of drinks and meals?

I appreciate there not being an announcement in a Scandinavian language, FA's hogging the intercom for 2/3 of the flight repeating irrelevant information in countless languages was always a major annoyance. In that regard they are taking a step forward.
Cupart likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 2:36 pm

Programs: SK*Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Melia Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
Wait, are their Irish and Spanish hires educated in the extremely poor Scandinavian service standard or did you mean the in-flight concept was the same in terms of drinks and meals?
I was referring to the in-flight meals and drinks, i.e. eating from a mini-bucket called The Cube
Old Jan 8, 2018, 12:15 pm

Programs: SK-EBD
Air Nostrum has been on and off with one-two CRJ9's under SK-number since 2015.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 5:30 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
This is actually a CRK. I had to check what it is

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombar...series#CRJ1000

You don't meet these very often.
zeer0 likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 2:00 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Gold, Marriott Plat
Having flown SK1530 and SK1527 operated by SAS Ireland in Go a few times in past month, I did notice a much warmer and proactive service compared to the other Heathrow flights operated by Scandinavian crews. The much nicer cabin environment in the A320neo might have helped too.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 3:05 pm

This is actually a CRK. I had to check what it is

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombar...series#CRJ1000

You don't meet these very often.
Interesting. Used to be only CR2 and CR7 on SK-routes.

My only flight with a CRK was on a Danish owned airframe flying Indonesia domestic. Pleasent a/c.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 4:13 am

Programs: EBG, LCAH Gold, HH Gold, IHG RC GE
Originally Posted by ronald55
Having flown SK1530 and SK1527 operated by SAS Ireland in Go a few times in past month, I did notice a much warmer and proactive service compared to the other Heathrow flights operated by Scandinavian crews. The much nicer cabin environment in the A320neo might have helped too.
I just flew SK505 (CPH -> LHR) also on an A320neo with a mixed Spanish and English crew, which was a SAS Ireland branded flight. Can definitely echo the statements about warmer and more proactive service.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 3:39 am

Programs: TK Gold
SAS Ireland

Just curious how does SAS Ireland work - Was on various SAS Ireland flight last month - the cabin attendant based in OSL seems laxer than normal SAS attendant; however, those based in ARN were way more friendly. Not sure whether I am in a good position to comment. Just travelled with SAS Ireland 3-4 times. The captain all seems to be British instead of Scandinavian
Old Apr 19, 2018, 3:00 am

Originally Posted by tobiashenry
Just curious how does SAS Ireland work - Was on various SAS Ireland flight last month - the cabin attendant based in OSL seems laxer than normal SAS attendant; however, those based in ARN were way more friendly. Not sure whether I am in a good position to comment. Just travelled with SAS Ireland 3-4 times. The captain all seems to be British instead of Scandinavian
I doubt that any of those are based in ARN or OSL. The whole idea is that crew are based outside of Scandinavia. And probably not even in Ireland but in London and soon also in Malaga.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by gentoo
I just flew SK505 (CPH -> LHR) also on an A320neo with a mixed Spanish and English crew, which was a SAS Ireland branded flight. Can definitely echo the statements about warmer and more proactive service.
Flew SK506, the captain is British and the crew are definitely not Scandinavian, and they provided much better service (they kept refilling tea and coffee) compared to the Scandinavians.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 3:02 pm

SAS go LCC style

Were looking for flights to AGP in the autumn and noticed the new, heavy schedule out of AGP. And the time table! Pure LCC. Flights will leave as early as 6.00 AM from both AGP and the Scandinavian hubs. And arrive as late in AGP as late as 1.35.

At least there seems now to be minimum two, often three or four rotations daily between AGP and Scandinavia. Good for me as I may be apple to skip my forced DY-bookings on my two-three yearly business trips there.

But I wonder if SAS can fill two-four flights every day?
Old Apr 19, 2018, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Tango Alpha
Were looking for flights to AGP in the autumn and noticed the new, heavy schedule out of AGP. And the time table! Pure LCC. Flights will leave as early as 6.00 AM from both AGP and the Scandinavian hubs. And arrive as late in AGP as late as 1.35.

At least there seems now to be minimum two, often three or four rotations daily between AGP and Scandinavia. Good for me as I may be apple to skip my forced DY-bookings on my two-three yearly business trips there.

But I wonder if SAS can fill two-four flights every day?
If the price point is right, I think they can. There is a lot of traffic. And often last minute direct flights can be pricey. As long as they can hit the price points, and run a profit with those price points, I don't see why not.

I think the cheaper Plus fares could also do well in the market. It is a length where it is worth having the catering included. There is probably a subsection of the market, far cheaper than business on a connecting flight, yet still some shards of service.... Including lounges, they do sound nice in the advertising. And the Oslo lounge are actually bad.
​​​

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.