Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS Youth Fares [FAQ & Discussions]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAS Youth Fares [FAQ & Discussions]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2018, 5:03 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by livious
I think you are very much a FTer at heart, nothing wrong with that! As always, book what you are willing to accept and try to game the rest (bumps, op-ups, paid upgrades, etc.). Sometimes it works, and you love it. When it doesn't, just keep searching for the next one. As it happens, these upgrades were essentially based on old SAS "kids fly free" deal that earned both our kids A3 Gold. If you were considering youth tickets to get Life Time Gold, you need to check my mileage run for kids thread.They have maintained *G since then and it makes op-ups much more common.

There is one other surefire way to get an op-up for us, which involves meeting Oliver2002 before/during a trip. I think we are batting 100% on op-ups when crossing his path. Paging Oliver2002, were you in Chicago this week?
Nope haven't been stateside since March. BTW, I usually observe that Lufthansa pursers do onboard upgrades of minors into C when there is space. Once there was a 13/14 year old girl on my flight who was accompanied by her mother to the lounge and gate in DTW. The fact that a female minor was travelling alone without UM service/attention was extremely confusing for the lounge, gate and flight attendants. The purser made her sit in business, saying in German to her collegaues "I'm not letting anyone near her on my watch on a night flight". The girl was a little annoyed/embarrased for being treated like a baby, but soon swapped that for the joy of flying business. When I asked the purser she mentioned that normally UMs are seated near the stations where FAs can keep an eye on them should they need anything. In this case the girl was seated somewhere in the cabin and she was afraid the FA on watch would not normally look out for her.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Nope haven't been stateside since March. BTW, I usually observe that Lufthansa pursers do onboard upgrades of minors into C when there is space. Once there was a 13/14 year old girl on my flight who was accompanied by her mother to the lounge and gate in DTW. The fact that a female minor was travelling alone without UM service/attention was extremely confusing for the lounge, gate and flight attendants. The purser made her sit in business, saying in German to her collegaues "I'm not letting anyone near her on my watch on a night flight". The girl was a little annoyed/embarrased for being treated like a baby, but soon swapped that for the joy of flying business. When I asked the purser she mentioned that normally UMs are seated near the stations where FAs can keep an eye on them should they need anything. In this case the girl was seated somewhere in the cabin and she was afraid the FA on watch would not normally look out for her.
Wow that's very nice of the FA! UA seated us everywhere and took no effort to get me and the kids seated together (although they have a rule about that from CSR). The UM service sounded like when I flew as UM with CX 35 years ago - went through crew lane for customs and immigration and got seated on my own (had my own row or share it with another UM). Unfortunately it's not the case anymore with CX - I sent my 3 kids on CX UM and they refused to take the kids to the lounge (they were OWS at that time) and the last on and off. They were sent from staff to staff - the worst is that they didn't even arrange anyone who speaks English and my kids can't speak Mandarin so they had trouble at the immigration at PEK.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 1:41 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
It seems to me that SAS has put an unofficial requirement that Youth fares to/from the US must be booked roundtrip. For the past year I've been looking at this, I haven't found any availability for o/w fares, whereas the availability will show up as soon as searching roundtrip. Too bad.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 7:22 am

Programs: EBG4Life, EBD, 1MM
I just wanted to pass on an observation on how youth fares have changed, at least for ARN/CPH/MMX-ORD. I usually send our kids to the US twice per year and this year noticed that tickets were not released as they have been in the past. More specifically, the availability over summer holidays and winter break have not been released early. After searching for tickets over the summer since last October, I saw last night that tickets were finally released for mid-June to mid-August. While I am grateful that they were eventually released, it made planning a bit more difficult. Other school holidays (sportlov and höstlov) have seen normal availability, so no changes there.

Another change that I noted was the cost of the youth tickets was higher (3500-->5000kr for CPH-ORD-CPH) if the outbound was in the last week of June through mid-August. I have not seen this two-tier pricing for youth tickets before. Fortunately the dates did not matter much and the kids could fly on the cheaper tickets, but it is something to consider moving forward as the price difference is significantly higher...albeit still cheaper than an adult ticket. Also, I did not see the price increase during höstlov (did not check winter break as we are booked using points).

Availability and price are still fine for most of the year, but SAS seems to be changing to program to make it difficult for families over summer. Let's see if this gets expanded in the future, which would sadly make the point of the youth tickets meaningless as their travel patterns are generally limited by school/university.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:59 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

It seems the YTH fares also have a light version:

Code:
11MAR19**11MAR19/SK CPHCHI/NSP;AT/TPM  4262/MPM  5114
LN FARE BASIS    OW   DKK  RT   B PEN  DATES/DAYS   AP MIN MAX R
01+CDKOW        27700           C  -     -     -   + -  -   -  R
02+CDKBIZ                 46167 C  -     -     -   + -  -   -  R
03+C1DKBIZ                39907 C  -     -     -   + 2  -   -  R
04+DDKBIZ                 32197 D  -     -     -   + -  -   -  R
05+YDKOW        12655           Y  -     -     -   + -  -   -  R
06+ZDKBIZ                 24312 Z  +     -     -   +  +  +  -  R
07+YDKXTRA                21092 Y  -     -     -   + -  -   -  R
08+Z1DKBIZ                20992 Z  +     -     -   +28+  +  -  R
09+EDKOW         8887           E  -     -     -   + -  -   -  R
10+SDKXTRA                16092 S  -     -     -   + -  -   -  R
11+EDKECO                 14812 E  -     -     -   + -  -   -  R
12+BDKXTRA                11370 B  +     -     -   +  +  +  -  R
13+MLDKECO                10450 M  -  S12AUG  19JUN+  +  +  -  R
14+HLDKECO                 8450 H  -  S12AUG  19JUN+  +  +  -  R
15+PLDKXTRA                7890 P  +  S12AUG  19JUN+  +  +  -  R
16+QLDKECO                 6850 Q NRF S12AUG  19JUN+  +  +  -  R
17+VLWDKECO                5875 V NRF S12AUG  19JUN+  +  +  -  R
18+VLXDKECO                5505 V NRF S12AUG  19JUN+  +  +  -  R
>                                                 PAGE  2/ 4

>m
19+ALDKXTRA                5390 A  +  S12AUG  19JUN+  +  +  -  R
20+WLWDKECO                4875 W NRF S12AUG  19JUN+  +  +  -  R
21+WLXDKECO                4505 W NRF S12AUG  19JUN+  +  +  -  R
22+ULWDKECO                3855 U NRF S12AUG  19JUN+  +  +  -  R
23+KLWDKECO                3755 K NRF S12AUG  19JUN+  +  +  -  R
24+ULXDKECO                3605 U NRF S12AUG  19JUN+  +  +  -  R
25+KLXDKECO                3505 K NRF S12AUG  19JUN+  +  +  -  R
26+LLWDKECO                3155 L NRF S12AUG  19JUN+  +  +  -  R
27+KLWDKGHT                3155 K NRF S12AUG  19JUN+  +  +  -  R
28+LLXDKECO                2905 L NRF S12AUG  19JUN+  +  +  -  R
29+KLXDKGHT                2905 K NRF S12AUG  19JUN+  +  +  -  R
30+TJWDKECO                2747 T NRF S01NOV  31MAR+  +  +  -  R
                                      B31MAR O31MAR
                                      C15APR   -
31+LLWDKGHT                2555 L NRF S12AUG  19JUN+  +  +  -  R
32+TJXDKECO                2497 T NRF S01NOV  31MAR+  +  +  -  R
                                      B31MAR O31MAR
                                      C15APR   -
33+LLXDKGHT                2305 L NRF S12AUG  19JUN+  +  +  -  R
>                                                 PAGE  3/ 4

>m
34+TJWDKGHT                2147 T NRF S01NOV  31MAR+  +  +  -  R
                                      B31MAR O31MAR
                                      C15APR   -
35+TJXDKGHT                1897 T NRF S01NOV  31MAR+  +  +  -  R
                                      B31MAR O31MAR
                                      C15APR   -
36+OLZZRT                   870 O NRF S12AUG  24JUN+  + -   -  R
37+OLZZGHT                  270 O NRF S12AUG  24JUN+  + -   -  R
>                                                 PAGE  4/ 4

>fqn36
FQN36
**  RULES DISPLAY  **                  XF MAY APPLY
                                       OTHER TAX MAY APPLY
                                       SURCHG MAY APPLY-CK RULE
36+OLZZRT                   870 O NRF S12AUG  24JUN+  + -   -  R
FCL: OLZZRT    TRF:   1 RULE: YTHT BK:  O
PTC: YTH-YOUTH CONFIRMED    FTC: PSZ-YOUTH/STUDENT PROMOTIONAL
     STU-STUDENT
FARE FAMILY            : YOUTHSMART
FARE FAMILY DESCRIPTION: SAS YOUTH GO SMART
RU.RULE APPLICATION
SAS YOUTH GO SMART
 APPLICATION
   AREA
     THESE FARES APPLY
     FROM AREA 2 TO AREA 1.
   CLASS OF SERVICE
     THESE FARES APPLY FOR ECONOMY CLASS SERVICE.
   TYPES OF TRANSPORTATION
                                                  PAGE  1/15

>fqn37
FQN37                                                                           
**  RULES DISPLAY  **                  XF MAY APPLY                             
                                       OTHER TAX MAY APPLY                      
                                       SURCHG MAY APPLY-CK RULE                 
37+OLZZGHT                  270 O NRF S12AUG  24JUN+  + -   -  R                
FCL: OLZZGHT   TRF:   1 RULE: ZZGL BK:  O                                       
PTC: YTH-YOUTH CONFIRMED    FTC: PSZ-YOUTH/STUDENT PROMOTIONAL                  
     STU-STUDENT                                                                
FARE FAMILY            : YOUTHLIGHT                                             
FARE FAMILY DESCRIPTION: SAS YOUTH GO LIGHT                                     
RU.RULE APPLICATION                                                             
SAS YOUTH GO LIGHT                                                              
 APPLICATION                                                                    
   AREA                                                                         
     THESE FARES APPLY                                                          
     FROM AREA 2 TO AREA 1.                                                     
   CLASS OF SERVICE                                                             
     THESE FARES APPLY FOR ECONOMY CLASS SERVICE.                               
   TYPES OF TRANSPORTATION                                                      
                                                  PAGE  1/14
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:17 pm

Yes, that is true. I have sadly gotten used to Light fares and didn't pay close attention, but the costs I referred to were for the Light fares. I tried to check the price of the Youth GO just now...but sas.se cannot find any youth tickets now. Seems to be another IT bug.

Edit: Just checked. The higher prices are still Youth Go Light, so there seems to be a two tier pricing for summer. It even affects inbound flight even if it is outside of the high season period.

Last edited by livious; Mar 11, 2019 at 1:22 pm
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:49 pm

Yes the seasons are shown n the overview. This fare set is not meant for younger kids to visit grandparents during peak vacation but for student types to fly when normal people don't. I.e.fill the cabin in low/shoulder seasons.
zeer0 likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:18 pm

Well, it would be most helpful if SAS managed to put out cheap fares whenever I need to travel. Fortunately SAS does not fully understand how much I will pay to gain a few weeks holidays from my teenagers As it turns out, the kids will travel 3 times to the US on youth fares...so I am still interested to see how things change and might affect next year. I need them to renew their *A Gold as my wife looks to lose hers

I just wanted to highlight that there seems to have been a change this year in the pricing over summer. There likely aren't a ton of us on Flyertalk that bother with youth tickets, but it has been interesting to follow how SAS model has evolved. First the stopped one way fares, then added light fares and now start to implement a two tier pricing.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:58 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Originally Posted by livious
I just wanted to highlight that there seems to have been a change this year in the pricing over summer. There likely aren't a ton of us on Flyertalk that bother with youth tickets, but it has been interesting to follow how SAS model has evolved. First the stopped one way fares, then added light fares and now start to implement a two tier pricing.
Ex-ZRH I've always seen this kind of two tier pricing (at least last year already). It's really sad what they have done to youth fares imo. I can hardly find any availability at all anymore
zeer0 likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:26 am

Programs: SK*G (EBD), AY Silver
Originally Posted by Nick Art
Ex-ZRH I've always seen this kind of two tier pricing (at least last year already). It's really sad what they have done to youth fares imo. I can hardly find any availability at all anymore
I'm just 20 and have found great value in youth fares in the past. However the only real 'value' you can still get from the youth fares are either long haul Asian flights, since they have luggage included, and you can bid for an upgrade to Plus, or the domestic (at least in DK) where they are frequent and you are most times able to book on the day of departure. However their American and European tickets are a joke. You don't get checked luggage to the US anymore, and prices to Europe have risen a lot. I used fo fly CPH-ORD-CPH Youth Go where I paid aprox. 2400 DKK which was insanely cheap, and I got something like 7500 points, and free checked luggage.
Now you pay 2400 DKK with no luggage, and something like 500 points. And if you add the checked luggage you're fare class doesn't change and you end up paying something like 3000 DKK and still earn 500 points. So in total you pay more, and get less points than what you used to. The only reason people would keep buying the ticket would be for the direct flight.

And for the European flights, the prices have risen as well. It's cheaper to book during the never ending campaigns on a normal adult ticket.

I have ended up only booking private flights during the SAS Family and Friends campaign which runs usually twice a year. If you know someone at SAS be sure not to miss those.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For TATL almost all airlines have check bag charge nowadays. LH and UA are giving out *G 1 free bag "for the time being" which means it will go away. It's a real PITA for leisure travellers.

I have seen pages publishing regular fare by LH group from CPH to the East coast as low as EUR 180, so youth fare definitely seems expensive.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by nacho
LH and UA are giving out *G 1 free bag "for the time being" which means it will go away.
LH not on a light ticket!
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fassy
Yes, on a light ticket:

When booking the Economy Light fare, a fee for checked baggage also applies to Miles & More status customers and Star Alliance Gold members. As a gesture of goodwill, for the time being HON Circle Members, Senators and Star Alliance Gold members can, however, take one piece of baggage up to 23 kg free of charge. This goodwill gesture applies exclusively at the airport check-in counter. When booking a piece of baggage e.g. online or at a travel agency, a baggage charge applies.
Source: https://www.lufthansa.com/at/en/economy-light-fare
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:48 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by fassy
They do!
When booking the Economy Light fare, a fee for checked baggage also applies to Miles & More status customers and Star Alliance Gold members. As a gesture of goodwill, for the time being HON Circle Members, Senators and Star Alliance Gold members can, however, take one piece of baggage up to 23 kg free of charge. This goodwill gesture applies exclusively at the airport check-in counter.
https://www.lufthansa.com/de/en/economy-light-fare

Edit: Wow, we are currently really active in this forum… 3 posts in 4 minutes. And I was one minute too late.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Need to purchase 6 TATL and 3 intra-EU Youth tickets across various dates over this summer. For the TATL portion (mid-June outbound with late-June return; late-June outbound with mid-July return; and mid-June outbound with mid-July return), it seems like the latest return date is June 15. Upthread, it seems like tickets may not drop until March, does that still sound correct?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.