Wiki Posts
Search

Travel Cash card

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2015, 8:10 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Qantas already did this 2 years ago: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qanta...ntas-cash.html

The FF card also works as a prepaid mastercard. You load AUD from your bank account and you can lock in an exchange rate at that time (you pay a 3% spread) or keep it in AUD and exchange between any supported currency when you wish (you lose 5% with each conversion).

Previously one of the ways to load money was via https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/POLi_Payments. This works like the situation with the Danish ID described above. You allow it to hijack your browser, then you log in to your internet banking and it makes a payment from your account automatically.

I only use this card in Australia because I don't have a job there and therefore no local credit card. 1 point per $2 is better than nothing from my debit cards. For most people, there is no reason to use this over their existing CC unless there are bonus offers. If you want to use cash then you won't use a card anyway.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 6:37 am

Programs: SK Diamond *G, LH SEN *G, Hyatt Globalist
So in DK at the moment you can only use the Travel Cash Card if your a costumer at either Danske Bank, Nordea or Jydske Bank... Ridicules that SAS have made no announcement of that at all. They even send me the Travel Cash card without me requesting it, and then I wanted to activated it, which is a really difficult process and just to ding out that my bank is not supported... Crazy SAS idea...
Old Oct 22, 2015, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by NicoEBG
So in DK at the moment you can only use the Travel Cash Card if your a costumer at either Danske Bank, Nordea or Jydske Bank... Ridicules that SAS have made no announcement of that at all. They even send me the Travel Cash card without me requesting it, and then I wanted to activated it, which is a really difficult process and just to ding out that my bank is not supported... Crazy SAS idea...
Not sure how they selected who gets a card and who doesn't. My girlfriend got a card without asking (She does not have a Credit Card with EuroBonus-branding, no a Swedish personnumber and therefore not even a Swedish bank account, she carries a physical EB Gold car though) while I did not receive a card.

I guess since I do have the AMEX and Mastercard they usually do not send me a plain EuroBonus membership card, I cannot even request one through the system as it says "get it from your CC company". I know I can get one through customer services but I see no need.

On the other hand I think she got one since they registered her to have a EB plastic membership card. Makes a lot of sense, right?
Old Oct 22, 2015, 2:06 pm

Programs: SK Diamond *G, LH SEN *G, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by fassy
Not sure how they selected who gets a card and who doesn't. My girlfriend got a card without asking (She does not have a Credit Card with EuroBonus-branding, no a Swedish personnumber and therefore not even a Swedish bank account, she carries a physical EB Gold car though) while I did not receive a card.

I guess since I do have the AMEX and Mastercard they usually do not send me a plain EuroBonus membership card, I cannot even request one through the system as it says "get it from your CC company". I know I can get one through customer services but I see no need.

On the other hand I think she got one since they registered her to have a EB plastic membership card. Makes a lot of sense, right?
Well... It might make sense for SAS, but for no one else
Old Feb 7, 2016, 7:08 am

Travel Cash card

I have the new Travel Cash card and tested it on a recent trip. I loaded 1000sek onto it from my bank account. Within the app I transferred it to USD> At the time the pure rate was $116, but within the travel ash app I got $110.50, not bad, not good.

Here's the nugget, I used it to withdraw $20 at an ATM in ORD. The ATM had a screen to confirm a $2.95 transaction fee. However, only the $20 withdrawal came up on my travel cash account.

Also, the Travel Cash app is pretty handy. I am starting to think this card could be pretty useful...
Old Feb 7, 2016, 9:33 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
I always thought that those expensive greedy %!?#% ATMs add their fee to the transaction amount, so I have no idea how the Travel Cash card could have avoided this. If it indeed becomes a way to get cheap cash when travelling it might be interesting. Still it seems that your fee was about 5% of the average right, if I got it right. Test it more, please ! and come back
Old Feb 7, 2016, 11:33 am

The currency change rates are based on the rates used when excanging money, just like if you would get dollarbills in the bank - just without the exchange fee.

This rate is always worse than the rate you get when you use a credit/debit card directly - where no physical cash is involved.

To beat a galloping dollar-rate, I exchanged 10.000 nkr into dollar a while back, and got the same rate as if I would exchange physical money in a bank. (the cash on the card is worth more than 10k nkr now - saving some money on our trip to FLL this month)
Old Feb 7, 2016, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Q. What is the fee for ATM withdrawals?
Read more about this under Cardholder Tips on www.flysas.com/travelcash. Some ATM operators may
charge an additional fee for using their ATM which may or may not be disclosed when you make a withdrawal.
Maybe you are lucky that they don't charge you $2.95. It doesn't look too certain to me.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 2:17 pm

The charge may appear later as separate booking. Did a cash withdrawl on my Visa card last time in BOS and while the amount was charged and appeared on my card statement within minutes the ATM fee just appeared a couple of days later as indivisible booked service charge.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 7:23 am

Programs: AY, LH, KL, SK, D8, Marriott, Melia.
SAS Eurobonus card without Travel Cash

Tried to google, but... I have SAS Travel Cash without asking, activated it in last year. Now I just want SAS EBS card without Travel Cash, what should I do?
Old Feb 24, 2016, 1:42 pm

So is this confirmed that the travel cash card does not charge ATM fees? All my cards charge btw. 30-50kr minimum so, travel cash could help me to withdraw small amounts.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 1:58 pm

Confirmed in US with a Swedish travel card. Been a few weeks and ATM fee never posted. I will try it with Euro next week and report after
Old Feb 24, 2016, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by wazow
So is this confirmed that the travel cash card does not charge ATM fees? All my cards charge btw. 30-50kr minimum so, travel cash could help me to withdraw small amounts.
well.the travel cash card do not ad a fee or have any fees at all,in all cases.
but if the ATM do (stated on the ATM) then the ATM do.
That have nothing to do w the card.
Its like booking a hotel room or a plane ticket and the hotel/travel agent ad a credit card user fee.

Last edited by dznyboy; Feb 24, 2016 at 2:36 pm
Old Feb 24, 2016, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by dznyboy
Its like booking a hotel room or a plane ticket and the hotel/travel agent ad a credit card user fee.
in my one experience at an ORD atm, I agreed to a $2.95 fee at the ATM but it never hit the Travel Card balance. Strange.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by dznyboy
This is what I wanted to know. I am usually able to find a legit ATM that charges no additional fees, besides those of the card issuer. So if Travel Cash charges no fees for small withdrawals, then it might become an interesting alternative. Is there a minimal amount to transfer onto the travel cash card? (or a minimal fee on entry of the funds to the account?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.