Search

What is the point with SAS?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2016, 1:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: miles&smiles
What is the point with SAS?

Bit of background first:

I am based in IST but spend a fair bit of time in London for business. Occasionally I'd like to travel across to CPH, 3-4 times a year. LHR and LGW are in terms of travel time and hassle is pretty much the same to me.

I am *G with TK and as far as I understand I can then not use fast track in CPH or LHR, correct?*

The difference in price between SK and DY is at times quite significant, I've seen a difference of 3x 4x and even 5x, for a hard product that is not that different. I would even say DY is at times better than SK.

Lounge access doesn't mean much to me on these short flights, I try to just get in and out as fast as possible. And lastly there isn't much point for me in flying SAS Plus on these short flights.

SO, am I missing something here or is there really no point in me choosing SK over DY?

*I can understand why Fast Track in CPH would only be for J and EBG/D pax as it would otherwise be more tract than fast.

Last edited by fezoff; Feb 6, 2016 at 1:53 am
Old Feb 6, 2016, 1:48 am
Suspended

Across what pond are you traveling? Usually that term means the Atlantic.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 1:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingDanishPenguin
Across what pond are you traveling? Usually that term means the Atlantic.
Ahh well yes, well spotted hahaha. That would be a bit of a detour.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 2:20 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Given the choice you have between IST-LHR it makes me wonder why you would even consider SK. On short-haul they are expensive, service and food are terrible, though everyone on here has probably had 10x worse experiences with DY than SK.

I'd opt for direct TK (A330) or LX on that route. Not sure why you'd want to spend a lot more time traveling just to spend a short amount of time in CPH with zero incentive.

If it is for actual visiting of CPH I'd probably book IST-LHR on BA, LHR-CPH on BA, CPH-TXL-IST on AB or AY as one itinerary.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 2:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
Given the choice you have between IST-LHR it makes me wonder why you would even consider SK. On short-haul they are expensive, service and food are terrible, though everyone on here has probably had 10x worse experiences with DY than SK.

I'd opt for direct TK (A330) or LX on that route. Not sure why you'd want to spend a lot more time traveling just to spend a short amount of time in CPH with zero incentive.

If it is for actual visiting of CPH I'd probably book IST-LHR on BA, LHR-CPH on BA, CPH-TXL-IST on AB or AY as one itinerary.
Sorry I should have been more specific. It is only SK LHR-CPH vs DV LGW-CPH I am considering. Out of IST TK wins hands down for me every time.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Especially in Heathrow I do appreciate lounge access, the terminals are usually very busy. In Copenhagen I can time my arrival quite close and skip the lounge, for Heathrow I always buffer more, and often end up having some time to kill. I generally find Heathrow a better arrival and departure point than LGW.

You should get fast track access in Heathrow as *G with SK. But based on your stated preferences, that is probably about the tangible benefits you get.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 2:57 am

Programs: SAS EBG, IHG Spire Amb, CCG
If LGW/LHR is the same for you, DY timing/frequency works for you and you don't need the points then you should select on price.

I mostly travel SK on OSL-LHR due to better frequency and timing and a slight preference for LHR. DY/SK beats BA on pricing on flexible tickets.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Those staff at fast track at CPH are horrible. AFAIK the rule to use the fast track for TK G is that you need to fly TK in order to use the fast track. The past 3 times I was "denied" at first (I had the confirmation from someone from Security Dept at CPH that it should work that way). They started off saying that I'm flying Y. I replied that the TK check-in staff said that I could use it. The staff said, 'they always promise you things that are wrong'. I pointed out the folder with tons of FF cards pictures at the front so I pointed the TK G card.

Another time they said something like you are not flying SAS/ this is not a Star Alliance card?! Then I said it's Star Alliance as you can see from the card, they then said, 'you need to fly business for that', I told them that it's wrong. They then looked into their folder unwillingly and let us through based on "one time exception".

So if you do fly TK as a TK G member - you are "entitled" to the fast track - it's worth it even I have to argue with the stupid staff there.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 6:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nacho
Those staff at fast track at CPH are horrible. AFAIK the rule to use the fast track for TK G is that you need to fly TK in order to use the fast track. The past 3 times I was "denied" at first (I had the confirmation from someone from Security Dept at CPH that it should work that way). They started off saying that I'm flying Y. I replied that the TK check-in staff said that I could use it. The staff said, 'they always promise you things that are wrong'. I pointed out the folder with tons of FF cards pictures at the front so I pointed the TK G card.

Another time they said something like you are not flying SAS/ this is not a Star Alliance card?! Then I said it's Star Alliance as you can see from the card, they then said, 'you need to fly business for that', I told them that it's wrong. They then looked into their folder unwillingly and let us through based on "one time exception".

So if you do fly TK as a TK G member - you are "entitled" to the fast track - it's worth it even I have to argue with the stupid staff there.
That's interesting. Thay I understood the below link is that it is basically not a *G fast track but only for EBG/D and biz passengers?

http://www.flysas.com/en/uk/travel-i...rt/fast-track/
Old Feb 6, 2016, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by fezoff
That's interesting. Thay I understood the below link is that it is basically not a *G fast track but only for EBG/D and biz passengers?

http://www.flysas.com/en/uk/travel-i...rt/fast-track/
That is because you are talking about two different fast track. You are talking about the SK fast track to the left above the SK check in, nacho is talking about the CPH fast track by the main security check.
For the SK one you need to be flying SK in Plus or J or be EBG/D/P. Some SK partners in J along with the SK card will also get you through.
For the CPH one, your airline has to have an agreement. Most major carriers do. When there are long lines from T2 you literally have to squeeze past the lines to get through.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
That is because you are talking about two different fast track. You are talking about the SK fast track to the left above the SK check in, nacho is talking about the CPH fast track by the main security check.
For the SK one you need to be flying SK in Plus or J or be EBG/D/P. Some SK partners in J along with the SK card will also get you through.
For the CPH one, your airline has to have an agreement. Most major carriers do. When there are long lines from T2 you literally have to squeeze past the lines to get through.
Ahh that makes more sense now. Do you know which SK partners gets you through SAS Fast Track?
Old Feb 6, 2016, 11:26 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
Nobody gets you trough SAS Fast Track besides SAS. Or more precisely you need to be Eurobonus Gold/Diamond/Pandion flying a Star Alliance flight (or, I think an SK codeshare outside the alliance), or you need to fly Business/Plus on SAS, if you have no status.

Other *G, or other business class than SK do not qualify. Then you may have luck in CPH Express (the other track), depending on the airline agreement.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 3:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Yeah, this is very annoying since SAS is the only Star Alliance airline with this policy. For e.g., with LH/ LX I can use fast track at OSL/ CPH/ GVA etc with my star gold card, but with SK this only works if one has SAS gold. At CPH this applies to both the SK fast track and the CPH express (even though they have A3 on the board with the list of cards, apparently they don't have an agreement with SK, so you can't use it when flying SK).

Annoying enough that I avoid SAS if I can!
Old Feb 13, 2016, 5:21 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by ung1
Yeah, this is very annoying since SAS is the only Star Alliance airline with this policy. For e.g., with LH/ LX I can use fast track at OSL/ CPH/ GVA etc with my star gold card, but with SK this only works if one has SAS gold. At CPH this applies to both the SK fast track and the CPH express (even though they have A3 on the board with the list of cards, apparently they don't have an agreement with SK, so you can't use it when flying SK).

Annoying enough that I avoid SAS if I can!
A year ago I wasn't entitled to CPH express as SK*G on LX. Glad to see that has changed.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by studentCPH
A year ago I wasn't entitled to CPH express as SK*G on LX. Glad to see that has changed.
As SK*G on a LX flight you could have used the SAS FastTrack. That is what I do all the time without any issues.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.