Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

What is SAS Plus on Nordic routes really?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2015, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Did a couple of Nordic flights on SAS Plus tickets- so I thought it was time to reflect on the product: Is it worth it? The short answer is a resounding NO ! Here’s why :
-You pay (a lot ) more for the ticket
-Only a few of the Plus fares are actually flexible
-Rebooking a Plus fare will often cost you more than buying a new Go-ticket (even at short notice), as SK zeros out availability of the lower Plus fare buckets as departure time approaches (Yes this is true and indeed happened to me on more than one occation – so to change a plus ticket you have to pay the differential up to the full flex fare – where as a new Go ticket might be available for substantially less)
-You don’t get extra space on board – Middle seats might well happen if you check-in late - seat-blocking for EBG/EBD doesn't seem to work at all.
-No cabin divider or privacy – only a small sign on the backrest of the last row of Plus.
-On intra Nordic flights only breakfast (before 9am) is served as a meal in Plus
-The rest of the day you get nuts, chips, a muffin and drinks for free – but a salad or a sandwich is not available – not even around lunch time or dinner.
-The price of a drink + chips/nuts in Go does not even come close to the extra cost of a Plus ticket.
-Coffee/tea and water are still free
-Feeder-flights to intercontinental flights booked in business class (on SK or it’s partners) take place in Plus – which is essentially an economy product.

On the ‘Plus’ side – you do get fast track security, priority boarding (mostly) and lounge access with a plus ticket – but (many of ) you might get that anyway with a Star-Gold card so for you the value of Plus should be in the in-flight product. Oh and you get a somewhat higher number of EB points – but not a lot compared to the higher fare buckets of Go tickets – the differences have evened out.

I think SAS needs to re-evaluate the Plus product - it just isn't good enough compared to the cost - at least on Nordic routes. The have introduced the low-cost handbagageonly fares in Go - now it is time to do something at the other end of the plane.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 2:29 pm

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
The same applies to intra-Europe plus. The meals that are inedible anyway, free booze is only useful if you don't have to drive making it a very sub-par product overal. You end up paying a significant premium for a glass of water and the ability to be of the plane first.

Perks such as fast-track, priority boarding and lounge access also come with EB status.

Improve the meals and seating and Nordic/European flights would be worth the money.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by GreatDane
-Only a few of the Plus fares are actually flexible
-Rebooking a Plus fare will often cost you more than buying a new Go-ticket (even at short notice), as SK zeros out availability of the lower Plus fare buckets as departure time approaches (Yes this is true and indeed happened to me on more than one occation – so to change a plus ticket you have to pay the differential up to the full flex fare – where as a new Go ticket might be available for substantially less)
I'm not defending SAS and the Plus concept intra-Nordic with only snacks offered after 9 am (why is it so hard to offer sandwiches?), middle seats and no divider etc etc but aren't all Plus tickets flexible in the sense that the ticket always can be refunded, even when used on an outbound leg?

I mean, if only high booking classes are open, just refund the Plus ticket and buy a new ticket in Go.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 1:55 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
I mean, if only high booking classes are open, just refund the Plus ticket and buy a new ticket in Go.
SK989

Thank you for heads up!

We recently received a warning from our Corporate Travel Agency not to purchase low Plus fares as indeed - it might cost a fortune to change them in the last minute. But I just checked fare rules in our Corporate Booking Tool and you are right - seems all tickets are refundable. I need to talk to the Agency then as buying low Plus fares in advance might not be such a bad idea. Once again thank you for heads up!
Old Sep 15, 2015, 2:14 am

Originally Posted by TPJ
SK989
We recently received a warning from our Corporate Travel Agency not to purchase low Plus fares as indeed - it might cost a fortune to change them in the last minute. But I just checked fare rules in our Corporate Booking Tool and you are right - seems all tickets are refundable. I need to talk to the Agency then as buying low Plus fares in advance might not be such a bad idea. Once again thank you for heads up!
The problem is that SK zeros out Go and lower class Plus fares on a lot of routes few days (at some even 7 days) before departure. So, even though the ticket gives you flexibility in the way to be able to cancel it, you will need to buy a new ticket (or pay the fare difference) in anyway.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 5:30 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by fassy
The problem is that SK zeros out Go and lower class Plus fares on a lot of routes few days (at some even 7 days) before departure. So, even though the ticket gives you flexibility in the way to be able to cancel it, you will need to buy a new ticket (or pay the fare difference) in anyway.
This is not SAS specific. Many airlines do this. The ones who travel mostly at short notice are business folk and for them money matters less.

For me personally having no *G status SAS Plus has more value. And travelling otherwise only Y I don't feel the need to complain about food or the middle seat.

But also from my perception it makes sense to offer an additional higher placed product on selected European routes.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by fassy
Go to the Lufthansa forum, people are complaining about the exact same thing just for business class. Only the full fare is available at short notice. No matter how empty the cabin is. LH even confirmed the practice is some of the sessions with frequent fliers. I think SK for once took a page from LH's book.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 1:27 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Go to the Lufthansa forum, people are complaining about the exact same thing just for business class. Only the full fare is available at short notice. No matter how empty the cabin is. LH even confirmed the practice is some of the sessions with frequent fliers. I think SK for once took a page from LH's book.
True, and a reason why I fly LOT a lot more often than SK when I have to go to Poland. They (at least so far) do not zero out the cheaper classes. Looking at my flight pattern SK should really wonder why I fly some routes like CPH-WAW or CPH-ZRH almost exclusively on partner airlines and only stick to SK in the Nordics (no alternative) or the timing and prices are ok (like some of the US flights or CPH-Germany).
Old Sep 16, 2015, 1:33 am
Original Poster

Not sure all plus tickets are refundable. Booked a r/t intranordic out in Y and return in A. And got the following statement on my ticket:"Refundering: Billet og brændstoftillæg kan refunderes. Refundering af delvist brugt billet kan være begrænset." So when I wanted to change my return ticket I did indeed face the issue.

Zeroing out low fare buckets days prior to departure in spite of good availability might be good business sense in the short run (from the perspective of the airline) - but it sure Pi...s off a lot of us - their frequent flyers - who bought supposedly flexible tickets in the long run. I will look more closely at the Lot option in the future as suggested by fassy although not really an option intra-nordic
Old Sep 16, 2015, 3:54 am

All SK Plus fares intra-Nordics and intra-Europe are refundable without a service charge.

A and Y for sure!
Old Sep 17, 2015, 3:50 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors Diamond, SAS Diamond (*A Gold)
Agree with fassy.

Never had issues getting full refund for intra-Europe Plus tickets.

Different story with "Plus Saver" outside of EU.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 1:55 pm

Also...
Exit row seats are ALWAYS FREE (also on intercontinental flights) on the cheaper
GO Tickets. 22 hr before departure (its actually 36 hr hushhh,hushhh,from Scandinavia ).
You are NOT ALLOWED to sit on the exit seats,if you buy a PLUS ticket,
so if legroom are important to you,DO NOT BUY THE EXPENSIVE PLUS-TICKET.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 1:48 am

Programs: eurobonus, flying blue, a club, hilton hhonors
As a Norwegian living abroad; for personal travel, I only book SAS Plus for the Christmas holidays, where the 2 x 23kg luggage comes in handy. Fast track and lounge access are EuroBonus perks, so doesn't add as a benefit of the SAS Plus ticket. The rest of the time I book SAS Go. Haven't booked a route offering SAS Go Light yet, so not sure if I would book that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.