Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS Go Light [FAQ & Discussions]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAS Go Light [FAQ & Discussions]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2015, 11:59 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Mistranslation?

Originally Posted by tarmosan
SAS will start to charge for luggage in low priced GO tickets:

http://www.dn.se/nyheter/sverige/sas...agageavgifter/

Sorry only in Swedish
There is nothing in the article in the link that confirm the OP's claim that "SAS will start to charge for luggage in low priced GO tickets".

The heading of the article is: "SAS överväger bagageavgifter", i.e. "SAS are considering luggage charges", NOT "SAS will start charging", and the spokeswoman only says that SAS might introduce a new low frills ticket category.

This probably is just a rumour then, and certainly not a certainty as "will start to charge" implies.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
The version of the news on a Danish travel website is quite clear on the part that it is not something imminent. But that changes will be coming. I wonder if it is a bit of a test from SK, measuring the reactions before doing anything?

http://www.check-in.dk/sas-overvejer...t#.VcPkrZmAbqA

In terms of being first in offering fares without checked luggage, I guess United would win the trophy. Not that I have checked the dates, but generally the US market has been leading the way in terms ancillary fees.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 2:50 am

Programs: SK Diamond, LH SEN, KL Ivory, AY Basic, OZ silver
Removing hold luggage allowance would take away the last trump card SAS currently holds over for example DY and several other low cost-low fare airlines. They therefore probably see it as an enhancement and improvement.

Originally Posted by fassy
And probably need a new name for that fare class as well...
SAS NO-GO
Old Aug 13, 2015, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
It is still advertised on sas.dk as one of the "always with SAS". So while they may cut it eventually, I think they will take a reasonable timespan between stopping the advertisement of the benefit, and stopping the actual benefit.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 3:12 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
It is still advertised on sas.dk as one of the "always with SAS". So while they may cut it eventually, I think they will take a reasonable timespan between stopping the advertisement of the benefit, and stopping the actual benefit.
"Always with SAS": Disappointments.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 3:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UltraRant
"Always with SAS": Disappointments.
Good one... :-)
Old Aug 13, 2015, 4:57 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The elimination of free checked bag allowance benefit (being applicable to all main cabin passengers on economy class tickets) will almost certainly be followed by a cabin baggage allowance crackdown. No surprise that SK and LH were so eager to push for a new, lower IATA cabin baggage dimension standard.

These European legacy majors are going to revenue-enhance themselves into being expensive versions of Ryanair.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 4:59 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I remember how LH launched their attack on AB in TXL/BER with 49 destinations for 49EUR and 'always with drinks, snacks and luggage included'. Only two years later its all German... sorry Eurowings, with neither. AB also went that route.

Airlines in the US are minting money in 2015 thanks to ancillary fees. Whoever is financing SK's turnaround will surely insist on industry best practice. AY has 'light' fares since some time already, and it works.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 5:08 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by oliver2002
I remember how LH launched their attack on AB in TXL/BER with 49 destinations for 49EUR and 'always with drinks, snacks and luggage included'. Only two years later its all German... sorry Eurowings, with neither. AB also went that route.

Airlines in the US are minting money in 2015 thanks to ancillary fees. Whoever is financing SK's turnaround will surely insist on industry best practice. AY has 'light' fares since some time already, and it works.
It doesn't work equally well for all carriers on all routes. When SAS further reduces its free checked baggage allowance on US-bound flights, SAS will increasingly look like an older, less attractive version of DY but with higher fixed and variable costs for the airline than lower cost rivals.

Airlines in the U.S. are minting money from baggage fees because the U.S. government has granted the airline industry so many waivers and favors that domestic competition is marginal compared to even a decade ago. With an oligopoly of three airlines dominating more than 2/3 of the U.S. market and having enough market power to discipline most of the remaining 1/5 to 1/3 of the market/"competitors", they could mint money by charging you to go to the bathroom too, Swedish McDonalds' style.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
It doesn't work equally well for all carriers on all routes. When SAS further reduces its free checked baggage allowance on US-bound flights, SAS will increasingly look like an older, less attractive version of DY but with higher fixed and variable costs for the airline than lower cost rivals.

Airlines in the U.S. are minting money from baggage fees because the U.S. government has granted the airline industry so many waivers and favors that domestic competition is marginal compared to even a decade ago. With an oligopoly of three airlines dominating more than 2/3 of the U.S. market and having enough market power to discipline most of the remaining 1/5 to 1/3 of the market/"competitors", they could mint money by charging you to go to the bathroom too, Swedish McDonalds' style.
Maybe you remember that FR's O'Leary already proposed to do this a few years ago? Despite FR's drive to be market leader in finding the most ridiculous additional charges, this relatively simple one didn't make it. I think it's why no one has implemented this yet: if even FR can't do...

I furthermore fully agree on the DY story, it's exactly what I thought as soon as I read the article. At least, when it comes to short and medium haul. However, when it comes to TATL, SK still holds one trump card over DY: they actually fly...
Old Aug 13, 2015, 8:36 am

Programs: EBG, M&M SEN, FB Gold
It is now official that SAS will on September 8th launch a new ticket type called SAS Go Light.

This is without luggage, but still with free seat allocation, bonuspoints etc.

Also a positive thing is that for EB's with higher status the "no luggage" part does not count.

In my world still something that is naturally and it is a better product that compared with BA or LH where elite members also have to pay for it.

More here in Danish

What do your think on this product that is different from the other big airlines?
Old Aug 13, 2015, 8:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by UltraRant
Removing hold luggage allowance would take away the last trump card SAS currently holds over for example DY and several other low cost-low fare airlines. They therefore probably see it as an enhancement and improvement.

SAS NO-GO
HBO fares: SAS GO AWAY
Economy w/luggage: SAS GO WITH PIECE(S)
Old Aug 13, 2015, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by herro
It is now official that SAS will on September 8th launch a new ticket type called SAS Go Light.

This is without luggage, but still with free seat allocation, bonuspoints etc.

Also a positive thing is that for EB's with higher status the "no luggage" part does not count.

In my world still something that is naturally and it is a better product that compared with BA or LH where elite members also have to pay for it.

More here in Danish

What do your think on this product that is different from the other big airlines?
Sooner than I thought. And with shorter notice in terns of removing the advertising for always having free luggage.... But I guess I should just be happy that I save 95 DKK on my tickets. Since nothing in principle changes for an EBG.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 9:42 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Well good to know already. And very positive to have the baggage benefits also for the HBO tickets. And also very interesting move that you will pay more when you book HBO with checked baggage than just SAS Go.

And at least from my experience when flying with Finnair since they introduced HBO it seems to work quite ok. Even on full flights. But I admit that winter time will be the real test.

And now even EBS makes more sense
Old Aug 13, 2015, 10:27 am

Programs: SAS Diamond (*G), Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Star alliance gold members from other FFP also get free check-in luggage with SAS Go Light.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.