Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAS Cabin Baggage

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2018, 11:15 am

Programs: EuroBonus
The enforcement of carry-on weight is back at LHR this evening - all trolley-type carry-on was weighed, and anything over 8 kg checked.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 8:06 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I find the 8kg pretty horribly low, 10kg or 11kg and I could probably make it, but alas...

So my question is, as I'm just about to book a flight...

As a Star Gold, when it comes to baggage, I'm basically only entitled to EXTRA bags on SAS? I'm looking at flying HEL-ARN-VNO, on SAS Go Light it's $80 USD and I'd love to be able to check my bag cuz it'll probably be 10-12kg. I can't really get it down to 8kg, starting in Canada and when the bag is 4kg empty. The upcharge to get a checked bag isn't THAT bad, it takes the fare to $104. I guess $24 on such a short routing is kinda unreasonable in my mind but since the whole fare is still pretty reasonable I'm not as offended. If I've read the rules right, since May they no longer allow a free checked bag to anyone regardless of status on "Go Light"? Even if they just gave star gold 8kg x 2 I could easily make it work. But it seems like they pretty much lock you into paying that $24?

The alternative is fly Air Baltic, who I've flown before, and get to try their C-series, for like $10 less after paying their 25 Euro baggage fee.

I'd love to just blindly stick with Star Alliance, cuz I'd get my lounge access and a handful of miles, but I don't love that these airlines are eliminating any free baggage for elites. I think LH did the same too, though no one there weighed my bag.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 8:22 am

The likelihood to get your bag weighted in HEL, ARN or VNO is very low. Probably same as for LH. You can just check-in online, get the boarding pass on the phone and just show up at the gate with the bag.

Last edited by fassy; Aug 8, 2018 at 10:18 am
Old Aug 8, 2018, 9:06 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
I also wouldn't worry too much, LHR is probably the airport they check most.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 6:47 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by Jainzar
I also wouldn't worry too much, LHR is probably the airport they check most.
Really good to know thanks.

I actually checked in in AKL today and she looked at my carry-on and asked if I was gonna check it, I said no, after hemming and hawing a bit then she said "how heavy is it" I picked it up 1 handed with ease as usual and she's like "oh ok, that's under the 7 then" presumably meaning 7kg.

I've only had my bag weighed once, with LH checking in at DUB I had my own scale thing, but I think their baggage policy was 8kg + personal item, whereas SAS is 8kg divided between your two. I had it checked by one LCC in Europe, I forget which one, but they were super anal about it, they stopped everyone before security. I literally threw out a couple pieces of clothes (I had bought stuff cuz another airline "lost" my bag, but by then I had gotten it back) and then the guy let me go. But that was on the same trip where the Wizz rep told me I was only allowed 1 bag, I had a small duffel with these items I bought, then a crappy plastic bag, he said as long as I put the plastic bag inside the duffel I was fine, even if the duffel didn't close...sometimes rules are there for a purpose but are just entirely stupid.

I guess I'll take my chances on SAS and being a star gold will kinda hope I slide by without a 2nd look
Old Oct 5, 2018, 8:36 am

I have the same question as others. I’m debating between booking a Plus fare between CPH and LHR or going with BA in business. For sure I will have a carry on roller bag that will be more than 8 kg, plus a small backpack. BA has a generous weight limit for the carry on, so I wouldn’t need to worry with them, but it is an extra $100. I do not want to check a bag, period. Is it likely that SAS will force me to check the roller bag? 8 kg does seem ridiculously low!
Old Oct 5, 2018, 12:50 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
SAS LHR weighs carryon bags at the gate and then checks in bags for free if they weigh more than 8kg. I’ve been able to avoid checking in bags at the gate by getting creative at times, but it’s a hassle to have to do that, even as it’s less of a hassle than waiting for checked bags on arrival and potentially dealing with a baggage irregularity report/claim.

It’s reason enough for me to choose BA over SK when flying LHR-OSL/CPH/ARN, as SK asks to weigh my bags at the gates at LHR at a rate in excess of 30% of the time. SK seem to even have excess staff at LHR gates for just this purpose during boarding, and I am wondering why since it costs the airline money and even increases the airlines’ liability risk.

Last edited by GUWonder; Oct 5, 2018 at 12:57 pm
Old Oct 5, 2018, 1:15 pm

last three weeks I did 8 departures LHR to ARN or CPH... not been checked for the carry-on once.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 1:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
Originally Posted by GUWonder
SAS LHR weighs carryon bags at the gate and then checks in bags for free if they weigh more than 8kg. I’ve been able to avoid checking in bags at the gate by getting creative at times, but it’s a hassle to have to do that, even as it’s less of a hassle than waiting for checked bags on arrival and potentially dealing with a baggage irregularity report/claim.

It’s reason enough for me to choose BA over SK when flying LHR-OSL/CPH/ARN, as SK asks to weigh my bags at the gates at LHR at a rate in excess of 30% of the time. SK seem to even have excess staff at LHR gates for just this purpose during boarding, and I am wondering why since it costs the airline money and even increases the airlines’ liability risk.
At LHR checking hand luggage is the norm in T2, the ground handling agents are told to do it and they do very thoroughly. On A3 last week they weighed every single piece of economy hand luggage but didn't bother at all with business class which does seem to be the norm. I think almost if not all the *A carriers in T2 use Menzies and their approach is at least equitable if unpopular.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 3:32 pm

I will be departing CPH, so perhaps that will minimize chances of being checked for weight. I will have my small backpack and roller bag--I think I interpret the rules right that both these items should be acceptable?

Thanks for the replies, folks! I mostly fly Air Canada and am quite familiar with their rules, and the application of them. Published rules are one thing, but it's the application that matters usually...
Old Oct 6, 2018, 11:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by arf04
I will be departing CPH, so perhaps that will minimize chances of being checked for weight. I will have my small backpack and roller bag--I think I interpret the rules right that both these items should be acceptable?

Thanks for the replies, folks! I mostly fly Air Canada and am quite familiar with their rules, and the application of them. Published rules are one thing, but it's the application that matters usually...
I fly SAS out of CPH a lot. I’ve not had my hand baggage weighed by SK at CPH at all for some years now. So while I’m willing to fly SK out of CPH to London, I prefer flying BA (or even DY from LGW) to CPH over flying SK LHR-CPH.
SK2751 likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 5:35 pm

I fly SAS out of CPH a lot. I’ve not had my hand baggage weighed by SK at CPH at all for some years now. So while I’m willing to fly SK out of CPH to London, I prefer flying BA (or even DY from LGW) to CPH over flying SK LHR-CPH.
Thanks. I did end up buying SAS for this flight and expect based on what I’ve learned on this thread that all should be fine. I went with the Plus fare, so maybe that will help as well. I recently took some gear on an LH flight that had to be checked and of course it ended being in transit for five days, so I’m feeling less than positive about checking bags these days. That was a one-off but nevertheless it reinforces my sense that if you can carry something on, then you should! Even on the upcoming CPH trip we will probably have to check a suitcase just because of the gear issue but we won’t actually need the stuff in London so that should help.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 6:15 am

Programs: Former UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Are they likely to check at O'hare? I will be traveling in Business class.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 3:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Explore SE Asia
Are they likely to check at O'hare? I will be traveling in Business class.
I have seen SAS weigh hand bags a lot at ORD — but only at check-in, and they don’t always do it.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 3:27 pm

They will only do this when the flights are very busy and full. This to avoid lack of space in the overhead bins and to improve the ontime departures.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.