Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

No more paper newspaper - Everything via App

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2015, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue: Platinum for Life Elite Plus - EuroBonus: Gold

Dear all,
Today on the Norwegian Newspaper, it was stated that from 01.03.2015, there will be no more paper newspaper on SAS. All the newspaper will be available on apps. I was wondering if they updated the windows phone app or made a Windows 8.1 App?

Many thanks,

SB
Old Feb 14, 2015, 1:26 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by strikerbird
Dear all,
Today on the Norwegian Newspaper, it was stated that from 01.03.2015, there will be no more paper newspaper on SAS. All the newspaper will be available on apps. I was wondering if they updated the windows phone app or made a Windows 8.1 App?

Many thanks,

SB
Is the SAS App even available in all markets for iOS and Android users? The reason I ask is because the SAS App was not in the Apple App Store if the iTunes account was US-based even while it was in the Europe-based users App Store.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 3:15 pm

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
This move was expected, but I do feel it comes too early. Would not you like a product so good in place, that people would tend to start choosing it naturally?
Old Feb 15, 2015, 6:32 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Is the SAS App even available in all markets for iOS and Android users? The reason I ask is because the SAS App was not in the Apple App Store if the iTunes account was US-based even while it was in the Europe-based users App Store.
Unfortunately that is fairly irrelevant since SAS only provides the Financial Times in English, all other papers are in Scandinavian languages. I find that most people with an interest in that paper generally have a subscription anyway.

Unless the App is going to provide a new selection over the traditional hard copy offering of course, or for the occasional Scandinavian person living abroad with no access to the EU App stores.

SAS still lives in a day and age where everyone that gets on a plane at Arlanda speaks Swedish.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 8:17 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
Unfortunately that is fairly irrelevant since SAS only provides the Financial Times in English, all other papers are in Scandinavian languages.
This is not true. Just checked. There is NYT (International), FT, The Independent and Newsweek, so 4 titles in total. There are also titles in German and French. So overall it is a much better choice than the printed material available on short haul flights.

It is however very strange that they only have Børsen in Danish, which is a very niche title. They should at least try to get Berlingske in, as they have always had it on board. From Danish-perspective this is quite premature.

There are several titles in Norwegian and Swedish, but it is hard for me to say how they compare to the current printed offer.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 8:36 am
Suspended

SAS still lives in a day and age where everyone that gets on a plane at Arlanda speaks Swedish.
Are you making a serious point without sarcasm, or a serious point with sarcasm?

I don't remember when that age was that everyone that got on a plane at Arlanda spoke Swedish.

Getting the FT and Newsweek on the app for free is better than what I've been getting at the gate when flying intra-Europe on SK from ARN.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 10:29 am

Programs: EBG4Life, EBD, 1MM
Getting the FT and Newsweek on the app for free is better than what I've been getting at the gate when flying intra-Europe on SK from ARN.
Amen to that, but only as something is always better than nothing. Being a native English speaker, I don't even bother looking anymore at what SAS is offering after years of disappointment.

While I don't often complement LH, I am still surprised that it was never a problem to find a newspaper in English while flying within Austria and Germany. Despite Scandinavians being very proficient in English, I am amazed that the concept of English newspapers never took hold at SAS.

Then again, the quality of journalism is to the point where it might be best to just skip the newspapers altogether...especially as EB members get free WiFi
Old Feb 15, 2015, 11:22 pm

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by wazow
This is not true. Just checked. There is NYT (International), FT, The Independent and Newsweek, so 4 titles in total. There are also titles in German and French. So overall it is a much better choice than the printed material available on short haul flights.
Are you talking about the App? My comment was in relation to the hardcopy offering. Nonetheless glad to see the offering was increased, although I still won't find myself trying to read a newspaper on a mobile phone.

Are you making a serious point without sarcasm, or a serious point with sarcasm?
With. :-)

I don't remember when that age was that everyone that got on a plane at Arlanda spoke Swedish.
Even to date most SK FA's act completely surprised when they don't get a reply in a Scandinavian language on a short haul flight within Scandinavia. Some times this improves the experience, most of the time it doesn't.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 3:22 am
Suspended

Even to date most SK FA's act completely surprised when they don't get a reply in a Scandinavian language on a short haul flight within Scandinavia.
But is that thing about the FA's really surprising? I would sort of expect that, especially given the historical customer-encountering experiences of older FAs on most intra-Scandinavia flights (with the exception of some such routes) and given the backgrounds of the younger FAs.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 4:04 am

Programs: SK Diamond, LH SEN, KL Ivory, AY Basic, OZ silver
I bet they got this brilliant idea after many requests to do so at MySASIdea. And it's great. It saves a lot of recycled trees, it takes away the last line of defense for the cabin crews to hinder all those eerie passengers to enter the plane (via the new paper trolley) and it makes us even more dependent on idiotic gadgets and wifi. I think they already should have done this in the 1980s when they were still a leading airline, just to stay ahead of the competition.

Or retarded Swedish. It's also referred to as Norwegian / Danish.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by UltraRant
Or retarded Swedish. It's also referred to as Norwegian / Danish.
Hmmm, I thought retarted Swedish was the Skane slang they use down here...
Old Feb 18, 2015, 8:18 am

Programs: DYKWIA
Am I the only person who things it is pretty damn awesome that Readly will become available through the app!?
Old Feb 18, 2015, 8:24 am

Yes, pretty great... If they then also fix the app. Like reported in my other thread I couldn't use the app on my current trip since it fails to look up the LH booking/reservation - so no magazines for me at all.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 10:05 am

Programs: EBG4Life, EBD, 1MM
Originally Posted by UltraRant
(snip) It saves a lot of recycled trees(snip)
As the paper industry is quite large in Sweden, the government should push SAS to distribute more newspapers...preferably made from Swedish trees. Sadly that industry is going the way of the dinosaurs...although one could argue that SAS is already on that path
Old Feb 19, 2015, 12:11 am

Programs: SK Diamond, LH SEN, KL Ivory, AY Basic, OZ silver
Originally Posted by livious
As the paper industry is quite large in Sweden, the government should push SAS to distribute more newspapers...preferably made from Swedish trees. Sadly that industry is going the way of the dinosaurs...although one could argue that SAS is already on that path
*sings out loud* And they will all go down together... *stops singing*.

For what I've been told for many years, newspapers are printed on recycled paper anyway. And as long as we don't develop better telepathic skills or as long as we aren't getting cyborg like memory chip implants we probably will keep a certain need for paper anyway. I do, at least, as I will remain the last dinosaur to read printed books, printed mags and printed newspapers. I strongly dislike reading on e-readers, tablets and small telephone screens.
I also like to make notes on paper by the way...

Originally Posted by fassy
Hmmm, I thought retarted Swedish was the Skane slang they use down here...
That qualifies as 'language' these days?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.