Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is United a good alternative?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2015, 3:58 am

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by UltraRant
A3 doesn't fly to Norway or anywhere close. And to fly from OSL to AMS or HAM via FRA and ATH is a bit overkill... Apart from that A3 doesn't fly to any of those either...

I do fly TK sometimes and OZ has as advantage that the status is valid for 2 years. I do also fly quite a bit with UA these days (but not always booked directly via UA or booked on UA stock, so I'm not sure how that would have been with PQD).

Sorry, I should have said I was answering the OP looking for a new program.

A3 do sometimes have VERY good fares from ARN if you ever decide to visit us in Greece btw.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 4:29 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by livious
I would also question how long this statement will hold. Surely the *A partners will be adjusting their earning tables now that SAS has reduced theirs. It might look good now, but I would not be so sure in 6 months time. Therefore I agree with AGCPH that you should be wary of switching if you are basing your decision on the earning tables.
UA has a nasty history of marketing as if it will provide 100% (or some) miles on partner carriers in a given fare class but then refuse to do so on the basis of the arrangement between UA and the Star partner carrier having changed. I saw this happen a bunch with UA when it comes to LH-operated flights.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 5:09 am

Programs: SK Diamond, LH SEN, KL Ivory, AY Basic, OZ silver
Originally Posted by Knobbgb
Sorry, I should have said I was answering the OP looking for a new program.

A3 do sometimes have VERY good fares from ARN if you ever decide to visit us in Greece btw.
Haven't flown with A3 yet, but thanks for the tip. I'll give them a try this autumn if a good offer pops up. Greece is a nice country to visit.

EDIT

Big news! A3 will start flying to OSL. Just checked for September and found direct flights.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 12:51 pm

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
This UA simulation is quite interesting. I peeked around online -- the united websites are confusing me. I assume that what I am finding are the new rules, not the old one.

So far it seems that Platinum is the same cost as EBD in segments, and SK segments count, regardless of the ticket stock (or is this the old page? http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...r/qualify.aspx)

EBG requires less segments than Premier Gold. I do not know the united program enough to see how much these statuses are worth (Premier Gold, Platinum vs EBD and EBG). Qualification on miles is similar to EB in my case, as my average flight is about the distance in miles equal to what SK credits now in economy. So the 100% I would get with UA is similar.

The only annoying thing is 4 segments on UA every year. I don't mind flying them (I don't mind SK either). But some years I do many TATL flights, and then it is easy, and some others I only do once or so, and then it is very incovenient to really try to fly UA.

EDIT: Hmm it does seem I based my quick assessment on the old pages... but I will keep an eye on this thread. Have to study the UA benefits more closely though.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:30 am

Programs: SK Diamond, LH SEN, KL Ivory, AY Basic, OZ silver
It seems like you hit the right page for the conditions. If you have a year in which you only have one TATL, you can always try to book a flight with a stopover at one of UA's hubs, so you get 2 times 2 legs = 4 paid legs on your TATL, which should be sufficient.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 7:45 am

Programs: UA *G MM
It is the first time that I noticed the new rules after March 1 on the UA website so it might be a very recent update:
http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/mark...spx?ItemId=317

It looks like the mileage earnings are bad with even H,Q,V getting 75% and there is no indication of 500 mile minimum if the ticket is purchased from SK. So you definitely have to be able to buy 016 tickets for this to be attractive.

On the other hand you will earn 100% status miles for all booking classes with 500 mile minimum. For me that is the most important factor.

p.s. This is indeed hot of the press information updated today January 28th.

Last edited by gnaget; Jan 28, 2015 at 10:19 am
Old Jan 28, 2015, 7:51 am

Platnimum is a "baastard" status, which emerged after the merger because it was Continental's highest status level. I don't think it is very attractive relative to Gold. Of course if you fly US domestic market it gives you a better chance for an upgrade and it also earns (only 2) regional upgrades. In terms of miles it gives you 9X versus 8X for Gold so not a huge difference.

The best feature for Platinum (and 1K) in my view is that it allows you to book close in award tickets without any fee and also to cancel them without any fee.

The 1K status is much more attractive with the 6 system wide upgrades.

Originally Posted by wazow
This UA simulation is quite interesting. I peeked around online -- the united websites are confusing me. I assume that what I am finding are the new rules, not the old one.

So far it seems that Platinum is the same cost as EBD in segments, and SK segments count, regardless of the ticket stock (or is this the old page? http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...r/qualify.aspx)

EBG requires less segments than Premier Gold. I do not know the united program enough to see how much these statuses are worth (Premier Gold, Platinum vs EBD and EBG). Qualification on miles is similar to EB in my case, as my average flight is about the distance in miles equal to what SK credits now in economy. So the 100% I would get with UA is similar.

The only annoying thing is 4 segments on UA every year. I don't mind flying them (I don't mind SK either). But some years I do many TATL flights, and then it is easy, and some others I only do once or so, and then it is very incovenient to really try to fly UA.

EDIT: Hmm it does seem I based my quick assessment on the old pages... but I will keep an eye on this thread. Have to study the UA benefits more closely though.

Last edited by gnaget; Jan 28, 2015 at 7:58 am
Old Jan 28, 2015, 10:36 am

I just did a test for 016 tickets for ARN-LHR. I have only bought them on the intra-Nordic market before using the UA website.

On March 10 you can buy Go for $60 (!), Plus for $120 and Plus full flex for $674 on the SAS website (US setting).

Wow, that's a lot for the crappy Plus experience just to have full flexibility. But it would earn about 5000 miles as a United Gold and ~1500 status miles.

On UA's website you can buy the same tickets at the same prices. In order to get the $120 Plus you need to select "flexible fare" under economy. If you select Sweden for the country selection then you get the prices quoted in SEK.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SAS/A* DIAMOND/GOLD, GHA Black, HHonors Diamond
Can someone explain the 016 ticket concept? I'm a bit lost on that one.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by don_hansen
Can someone explain the 016 ticket concept? I'm a bit lost on that one.
It is a United issued ticket. Their tickets start with 016. SAS tickets start with 117. As I have pointed out, you can probably buy anything offered by SAS intra-Europe on United's website.

If you want to fly SAS transatlantic then it is a bit problematic because you cannot buy 016 tickets with SAS flights across the Atlantic. If you buy W or lower booking class from SAS then you will only earn 50% points but you still will get 100% status points (PQM).

Last edited by gnaget; Jan 28, 2015 at 1:34 pm
Old Jan 29, 2015, 1:15 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by gnaget
It is a United issued ticket. Their tickets start with 016. SAS tickets start with 117. As I have pointed out, you can probably buy anything offered by SAS intra-Europe on United's website.

If you want to fly SAS transatlantic then it is a bit problematic because you cannot buy 016 tickets with SAS flights across the Atlantic. If you buy W or lower booking class from SAS then you will only earn 50% points but you still will get 100% status points (PQM).
I assume you are talking about United.com, but are you perhaps talking about a restriction applicable to all 016 tickets?

Can't a skilled travel agent at a brick and mortar travel agency still set things up for SK-coded-and-operated flights to be booked and ticketed on 016 ticket stock (without UA potentially subjecting the agency to a debit memo for doing so)?
Old Jan 29, 2015, 7:30 am

Yes, I suppose that's possible.

It might be more difficult to convince a corporate travel agent. It is the business traveler who has the big earnings potential with the United scheme. But it is not going to cost the company a dime extra. If booking online it is cheaper because there are no fees on united.com. This is also true if you use flysas.com with US setting.

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I assume you are talking about United.com, but are you perhaps talking about a restriction applicable to all 016 tickets?

Can't a skilled travel agent at a brick and mortar travel agency still set things up for SK-coded-and-operated flights to be booked and ticketed on 016 ticket stock (without UA potentially subjecting the agency to a debit memo for doing so)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.