Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS - Schiphol Amsterdam Airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2014, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue: Platinum for Life Elite Plus - EuroBonus: Gold

Dear all,
I have a problem. From this week on, I will only have 20-30 minutes to make my flight from the second I get to the airport to take off of the SAS flight. The question now is, when is the ultimate gate closing time of the SAS flight to Oslo?

SB
Old Oct 26, 2014, 3:21 pm

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
You can usually make such connections at AMS provided you are with the first of the inbound flight. SAS usually flies from the C gates, if you can match that to your arriving flight you get a better estimate. Connections from B or C gates are easily made within 30 minutes, might be more challenging to make a D gate connection if you're late of the plane.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

I will be arriving at the airport with the train. I will be flying SAS plus.

SB
Old Oct 26, 2014, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Officially I think you have to be at the gate 15 minutes before scheduled departure time. In practical terms you just have to be there before they close the gate and the door. Which can be anything from 10 minutes before right up to departure in my experience. Typically if they are still missing passengers they will wait a bit, but as you are OLCI with no checked luggage, there are limits to how long they wait. And certainly not risk delaying the plane.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 12:17 am

Might actually work because you have Fast track access and it is not so far from security to the C gates. Train is also right under the airport.

Bring some good sprint shoes just in case
Old Oct 27, 2014, 2:46 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond
Originally Posted by view
Might actually work because you have Fast track access and it is not so far from security to the C gates. Train is also right under the airport.

Bring some good sprint shoes just in case
This! I made a 20 minute connection in AMS last weekend without any checked luggage where I had to go thru security and passport check
Old Oct 27, 2014, 6:03 am

Programs: SK-EBD
I think your chances are very good (if the train is on time!).

The new security (both the general and the fast track) works very well. I would say from train platform to main airside area (below the lounges) can be done in some 7-10 minutes. From there to the end of C, where SAS often departs from, is 5 minutes for people with normal walking capabilities.

No bus gates for SK at AMS (in my experience).

The a/c door is normally closed 5 minutes prior to ETD, I heard a cabin crew say last week.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

I am going to take the word of 5 minutes closing gate.

SB
Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
It's doable, but the phrase "from this week on" seems to suggest that you are making this a routine.

It's inevitable that, eventually, you will miss your flight. If you are going to be doing this every week, then eventually, your train will be delayed and/or your flight will close early.

I'd advise you to move to the next earliest train, at least!
Old Oct 28, 2014, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

I have tried. It is a hassle. However, I am flying SAS Plus, and far as I understand I can cancel my ticket if I miss my flight free of charge Thanks for looking out for me !

SB
Old Oct 28, 2014, 1:41 pm

Programs: EBD, BAEC GGL/CCR, Alitalia AlataPlus, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Plat100, HHD
Originally Posted by strikerbird
I have tried. It is a hassle. However, I am flying SAS Plus, and far as I understand I can cancel my ticket if I miss my flight free of charge Thanks for looking out for me !

SB
You should be fine. It should take 10 mins from platform to gate if you do a bit of sprinting, 15-20 mins with normal walking speed and some hold-up. As you say, the key here is that Plus is re-bookable even after departure.

The Plus concept is really useful in these circumstances - at a very affordable price compared to most other airlines.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:28 pm

Programs: SK-EBD
Originally Posted by strikerbird

SB
Yes, but be aware that it might absolutely not be free/cheap to rebook in last minute, as the price depends on actual booking classes available.

Few weeks ago I wanted to rebook a Plus-ticket (booked in P) CDG-CPH 18 hours before departure, and the price difference was 2.400 d.kr.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:41 pm

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
Yes, but this is still pretty good. Because it might be that there is some other airline that will take you further cheaply (or for less than 2.4kkr + your refund).
Old Oct 28, 2014, 6:13 pm

Programs: EBD, BAEC GGL/CCR, Alitalia AlataPlus, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Plat100, HHD
Originally Posted by Tango Alpha
Yes, but be aware that it might absolutely not be free/cheap to rebook in last minute, as the price depends on actual booking classes available.

Few weeks ago I wanted to rebook a Plus-ticket (booked in P) CDG-CPH 18 hours before departure, and the price difference was 2.400 d.kr.
Still, this isn't much of an issue as I can always choose to get a refund of the original paid price if I find a better solution. Plus a cost of 2400 DKK is not a problem if I get e.g. a day extra with a customer that I would otherwise need to go down next week to see again (and just the 5hrs of flying ARN-AMS rtn would cost me that in time anyway).
Old Oct 29, 2014, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Why did they move the last SAS flight from AMS to CPH on Friday so late that I cant make my last connection to Oslo from CPH?

SB

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.