Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS Economy Extra on United Award

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2014, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

I have a United economy award on a SAS flight from ORD to CPH. The aircraft is an A340-300. I have the SAS record locator and can retrieve the reservation on the SAS website. I can't see any options how to upgrade to economy extra. It' simply state that this reservation can't be modified online and I need to call. Before I actually call the hotline, I wanted to ask:

1. Is this even possible to do when the ticket is an United-issued award?
2. How much does it cost one way per person?

Thanks!

Michael
Old Aug 18, 2014, 2:39 am

Economy Extra is a completely different product than the Eco+ Seating on UA, it is more a class between Economy and business - not just a slightly better seat. I think right now it is not possible to book Economy Extra award space on SAS (reason unknown), only economy or business.

Anyway, as far as I know it is not possible to upgrade non-revenue tickets by any means, be it miles or via cash.

This is true for SAS EuroBonus at least, not sure if MilePlus will give an option to buy Plus seats on SAS or upgrade a economy award ticket but I'm pretty sure you need to e prepared for a trip in the back of the bus.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Thank you for the response. I think Iwill just call them and see if it is possible and what it costs. Doesn't hurt to try...
Old Aug 20, 2014, 9:19 pm
Original Poster

It is $45 for an Economy Preferred Seat. Indeed, Econ Extra is not available for upgrades.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 7:48 am
Original Poster

It turns out nothing can be purchased in terms of seats, not even a Preferred Econ seat because I booked with United. I have to wait until 24h before the flight.

I think it's terrible when SAS restricts certain seats to make money and then refuses to sell them because the book keeping is too complicated or whatever the reason is.

I was able to reserve two seats at least for the long haul flight (ORD-CPH) but for the short haul intra Europe flight, I was not able to reserve a seat. Again simply because the ticket was booked through United.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 2:16 am

Programs: EuroBonus
Originally Posted by michaelr
It turns out nothing can be purchased in terms of seats, not even a Preferred Econ seat because I booked with United. I have to wait until 24h before the flight.

I think it's terrible when SAS restricts certain seats to make money and then refuses to sell them because the book keeping is too complicated or whatever the reason is.

I was able to reserve two seats at least for the long haul flight (ORD-CPH) but for the short haul intra Europe flight, I was not able to reserve a seat. Again simply because the ticket was booked through United.
Not sure the latter is correct: in SAS Go, you cannot preselect seats on short haul (and I seem to recall not long haul anymore either) until OLCI open at dep -22 hours. This is majorly annoying, but it is how SAS rolls now :-(

Edit: you cannot preselect for free in Go, unless you are Eurobonus Gold or Diamond (from the SAS website).

Make sure you keep checking that your seat selection sticks, because mine (transatlantic) this summer was deleted entirely from the system, never to be seen again. I ended up with an upgrade, but could have been bumped instead.

DanishFlyer
Old Aug 31, 2014, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DanishFlyer
Not sure the latter is correct: in SAS Go, you cannot preselect seats on short haul (and I seem to recall not long haul anymore either) until OLCI open at dep -22 hours. This is majorly annoying, but it is how SAS rolls now :-(
DanishFlyer
You are probably right. The agent on the phone simply said that the short segment could not be reserved either and I just simply made an assumption it was for the same reason. Thanks for the tip to check the seat reservation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.