Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS with fee for preferred seat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2013, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EBG, M&M SEN, FB Gold

So now it begins with SAS as well to charge a fee for choosing a preferred seat at booking on TATL.

[redacted]

/HerrO

Last edited by oliver2002; Nov 22, 2013 at 4:21 pm Reason: no plug for other websites outside of EM&PR please
Old Nov 23, 2013, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by herro
So now it begins with SAS as well to charge a fee for choosing a preferred seat at booking on TATL.

[redacted]

/HerrO
Where did you see that? Do you have a link?
Old Nov 23, 2013, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Hi,

It is not official shared from SAS but it is mentioned on SAS SALES INFO yesterday.

Br,
HerrO
Old Nov 23, 2013, 2:43 pm

Programs: Priority Club, Eurobonus, Hertz Gold, Dollar Express, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Plat.
Preferred preseating on SAS long haul flightsEffective 02DEC13, SAS offers preferred preseating in SAS Go on long haul flights.
Preferred seats are e.g. window and aisle seats in first secton of the GO cabin, as well as bulkhead and extra leg room seats.Reservation can be made until check-in opens..Charge: 300 DKK, NOK, SEK, 35 EUR, 45 USD per seat and segment..

"Exceptions:.EBP and EBG members, including passengers in same PNR, and passengers requesting BSCT with confirmed COT-seat.A limited amount of seats per flight are defined as Preferred seats and available for purchase. All other seats are free of charge at time of reservation..
When flight opens for check-in, all unreserved seats, including Preferred seats, are free for all passengers in SAS Go."

What a rip off!
Old Nov 23, 2013, 3:38 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, SAS Eurobonus Silver, Connect Miles Gold, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Disc.
Looks like KLM has inspired them..
Old Nov 23, 2013, 3:52 pm

Programs: Priority Club, Eurobonus, Hertz Gold, Dollar Express, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Plat.
I was just waiting for this to happen...just like when we used to get 2 bags flying long hauls...then once one airlines started with one only n pay for extras..they all followed. Plain n simple....it sucks!
Old Nov 23, 2013, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by nordictat2
I was just waiting for this to happen...just like when we used to get 2 bags flying long hauls...then once one airlines started with one only n pay for extras..they all followed. Plain n simple....it sucks!
I can't say I am surprised. Most other airlines (European and American) have gone down this road and since the financial performance of SAS is far from stellar yet they need to get more revenue streams. The credit card fee attempt failed to even get of the ground. However with the size of the long haul fleet, this is not going to generate massive amounts of profit.
If aisle and Windows seats are preferred, that would make 6 out of 8 seats in a row preferred in the first Go cabin. Adding in the bulkhead and emergency exit rows in the second Go cabin, the number of free seats have gone down quite a bit.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by nordictat2
"Exceptions:.EBP and EBG members, including passengers in same PNR, and passengers requesting BSCT with confirmed COT-seat.A limited amount of seats per flight are defined as Preferred seats and available for purchase. All other seats are free of charge at time of reservation..
When flight opens for check-in, all unreserved seats, including Preferred seats, are free for all passengers in SAS Go."
So this means EBG and EBP (and next year EBD) get free preferred seats?
Old Nov 24, 2013, 10:35 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Don't forget that SK is just one fuel price hike away from being insolvent. They have to build up any revenue stream possible.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Don't forget that SK is just one fuel price hike away from being insolvent. They have to build up any revenue stream possible.
Indeed, but as they have been banging on about everything included for a long while as an argument against Norwegian it is swallowing a few camels to go down this road. But I guess better to partly choke on a camel than to die from insolvency. Which would make me guess that the credit card fee will be launched again.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 9:59 am
Original Poster

I think this is just another step on the road that TATL Economy trips more low cost like. We have seen baggage fee, preferred seat fee, food and drink fee etc.

So I do expect that Economy in the years to come will be more like just buying a seat and then you have to decide what extras you want to have.

Then focus on service will be on business and first (where first will be present).

Br,
HerrO
Old Nov 25, 2013, 10:21 am
Original Poster

The information in details:

Preferred preseating on SAS long haul flights
Effective 02DEC13, SAS offers preferred preseating in SAS Go on long haul flights.
Preferred seats are e.g. window and aisle seats in first secton of the GO cabin, as well as bulkhead and extra leg room seats.

Reservation can be made until check-in opens.
Charge: 300 DKK, NOK, SEK, 35 EUR, 45 USD per seat and segment.
Exceptions: EBP and EBG members, including passengers in same PNR, and passengers requesting BSCT with confirmed COT-seat.

A limited amount of seats per flight are defined as Preferred seats and available for purchase. All other seats are free of charge at time of reservation.
When flight opens for check-in, all unreserved seats, including Preferred seats, are free for all passengers in SAS Go.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 1:21 am

SAS to charge to extra for window, exit and front row seat

Have not seen this before.

Effective December 2nd SAS will charge extra for window seats, exit row seats and seat in the front of the cabin.

Valid for long haul only - and the charge will be DKK 300.
For Gold and Pandion members this is waived.

Danish only:
http://www.check-in.dk/newselement.c...rticleID=84203

I am not a big fan of this - must say. It seems like SAS is continuing the path of charging extra for what was previously part of the experience.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OFFlyer
Have not seen this before.

Effective December 2nd SAS will charge extra for window seats, exit row seats and seat in the front of the cabin.

Valid for long haul only - and the charge will be DKK 300.
For Gold and Pandion members this is waived.

Danish only:
http://www.check-in.dk/newselement.c...rticleID=84203

I am not a big fan of this - must say. It seems like SAS is continuing the path of charging extra for what was previously part of the experience.
Already being discussed in another thread.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-e...rred-seat.html
Old Nov 26, 2013, 2:35 am

Programs: SK Diamond, LH SEN, KL Ivory, AY Basic, OZ silver
Originally Posted by Milkman
Looks like KLM has inspired them..
I know another airline that has a blue logo and invented charging for everything that might be part of flying. They're from Ireland. It seems that SAS takes great inspiration from them these days.

Anyway, most other airlines in Europe already offer such 'service' to their customers. I flew with Austrian yesterday (from ORD) and they wanted 100 dollar for a single leg in a preferred seat (or 878 dollar for an upgrade to business). That seat wasn't even available for free to SEN or *G, and it was so close to the toilets that your Do & Co meal changed into tasting like Poo & Co.

I also flew with Air Canada recently. They also wanted a few bucks extra on some of those 'preferred' seats.

The bad thing about this deal is that those seats become available for everyone as soon as check in opens. Ergo: you may save yourself (or your family) hundreds of Kroners by just being the first to check in.

Indeed, but as they have been banging on about everything included for a long while as an argument against Norwegian it is swallowing a few camels to go down this road. But I guess better to partly choke on a camel than to die from insolvency. Which would make me guess that the credit card fee will be launched again.
Simply not true. SAS made black numbers last quarter and even though they claim to offer loads of 'included' services, they actually don't offer them. Fast track for EBG or respecting priority luggage labels, for starters. This just shows that SAS is in fact offering a hollow shell.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.