Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Lost EBG due to transition to new earning model

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2012, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: EBG, HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Elite

Dear all

In May, SAS changed the terms for earning points in economy (min. 1000/flight) as well as changed the conditions for EBG (min 50 flights or 50.000 points). This is all good, unless this happens in the middle of your earning year. I am caught in a dispute with SAS and I don't know whether there are any chances of me winning this battle.

My earning year changes 1/9 and during my last year, I have had 41 qualifying flights and around 42.000 base points. If we stick to old conditions, I would have kept my EBG due to >40 qualifying flights. If we however look at the new conditions, I would have received minimum 1000 (1250 with EBG bonus) base points for each of my flights. However this only applies to flights made after May 2012. I have several flights earlier in my earning year, where I only received 260 points. If all those flights were according to the new conditions, I would have received more than 9200 additional base points, giving me a total of >50.000 base points = enough for keeping my EBG.

I have both contacted EBG customer care on the phone as well as on email, and they refuse to let me keep my EBG, as I don't have enough points or flights as currently required.

I would have expected SAS showing better judgement for these cases of customers caught between these two sets of conditions. Especially as I would have kept my EBG if either new or old conditions have applied to my full earning year.

I know that compared to may of you, my travel activities might seem limited, but I really have hard time coping with loosing my EBG - it really makes my travels much easier. Please let me know if any of you are in the same situation and/or have some good advise for me.

brgds
Lukas
Old Oct 15, 2012, 9:31 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
Hmmm ... a tough case. Esp. that scandinavians are not good in being flexible with rules, in my experience. It reminds me how vulnerable my status is. My flying pattern is similar to yours, but I was more lucky with how my flights aligned with change of rules.

I have no idea how to help you ... People would often say go A3 if this still works and you are after status not mile. I do not know how effective A3 is as a programme with SAS lounges, etc.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 9:39 am

Programs: SAS Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG RA Spire
I am surprised that SAS denied you EBG status for another year. I have plenty of examples of friends and colleagues that have been granted a "one off" due to falling a few miles short, being on maternity leave etc. You're case is created by SAS changing the rules in the middle of the year, so you would think that they would be aware of this problem.

I guess your last chance is to humiliate yourself publically on SAS' Facebook page. It has proven to be quite an effective way of getting things the done the "right" way.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 9:50 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by wazow
Hmmm ... a tough case. Esp. that scandinavians are not good in being flexible with rules, in my experience. It reminds me how vulnerable my status is. My flying pattern is similar to yours, but I was more lucky with how my flights aligned with change of rules.

I have no idea how to help you ... People would often say go A3 if this still works and you are after status not mile. I do not know how effective A3 is as a programme with SAS lounges, etc.
A3*G status does just fine with SAS for lounges, check-in and additional free baggage allowance.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:05 am

Programs: SK*G, FB, AY
I mentioned the risk for exactly this scenario in another thread already before the point earning changes took place in May. I have a similar flying pattern and would also have risked loosing my status if I would have been unlucky with the timing of the changed conditions in relation to my earning year.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:52 am

Yeah, I forgot the facebook idea. This might work. Although you could try calling again, hoping that you can hit a different agent. I actually like the EBG status, so I would definitely try these means, before defecting to something else. Especially if you think that you can maintain it in future years.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 1:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wazow
Yeah, I forgot the facebook idea. This might work. Although you could try calling again, hoping that you can hit a different agent. I actually like the EBG status, so I would definitely try these means, before defecting to something else. Especially if you think that you can maintain it in future years.
I have given Facebook a try, as well as Twitter. No luck - they only refer me to their official EBG email address. I am truly disappointed how BAD SAS is handling this... They excuse themselves with lack of capacity in their lounges for all the "borderline" cases.

Anyone who has experience with escalating such issues inside SAS?

Any recent experience with status match from EBG to A3?

Last edited by llunow; Oct 17, 2012 at 12:32 pm
Old Oct 18, 2012, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by llunow
OK, I have given A3 a try, but they are only matching BMI Diamond Club, so no luck here either. I might as well get used to EBS
Old Oct 18, 2012, 2:36 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Have you lost your EBG yet? If not, request a status match from Turkish. They match *G to *G. I honestly think TK is a better programme when it comes to maintaining status. The status lasts for 2 years, and you only need 25K per year to re-qualify. If you for instance reach 25K within your first year the status will renew for another two years after the original expiry date. Good luck!
Old Oct 18, 2012, 3:01 pm

Would not re-qualifiaction in EBS be similar effort as qualification for *G in A3?
Old Oct 18, 2012, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by llunow
You can always give TK Miles and Smiles a try..
Old Oct 19, 2012, 1:08 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
If I understand OP correctly, he has already lost SK *G? Then matching offers won't mattter to him. I suggest for OP to got with A3, and to read up in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aegea...les-bonus-694/, especially the FAQs.

If he indeed still have gold, I suggest going with TK instead and do the status match. Lost of reading there too, in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turki...tus-match.html
Old Oct 19, 2012, 5:59 am

Programs: EBG, Finnair
Transition period

Sorry to see that you lost the *G status. There was a transition period, ending July 31. I picked up that on this forum and had it confirmed by EB - prior to July 31. Up until then you would renew your status for the next qualifying year, based on the old rules.

Got myself a quick trip to CPH to reach 40 single trips as August for me is a period without extensive travelling.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 4:34 am
Original Poster

My EBG is still valid until November, so I have few weeks to have it matched. I will try going for TK then, as I have tried sending my info to A3 and they only match with BMI Diamond. Is TKG valid for SAS Fasttrack and lounge access?

Thanks everyone for the good input.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 5:38 am

lounge access with TKG should be fine, as long as you fly *A. Fast track unfortunately will not work (only if you fly SK business or eco extra, but this is independent of TKG).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.