Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAS Charter flights

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2012, 2:31 am
Original Poster

SAS Charter flights

Two weeks ago I flew on an SAS charter flight to Greece with my family (SK 7000-something flight no). I know that SAS charter flights are a totally different thing than scheduled flights, e.g. you cannot check in on-line and select your seat, you don't earn Eurobouns points etc. At check in at ARN the check-in agent (SAS employee) however asked me if I was a EB member. A bit puzzeled about that question I gave her my EB card and thought that it must be a new girl who don't know the EB rules.

Very surprised I noticed today that I've gotten 6000 EB points for the SAS Charter flight (1500 X 4, I got the other family members points as well to my EB account)! It's not basic points, only extra points. And the flights are not shown as qualifyling status flights either.

Another thing, onboard the flight a guy sitting a couple of rows in front of me was EBP and wasn't charged for drinks (I could hear the cabin crew talking about it). So it's seems that SAS charter flights are something odd - for instance you dont get lounge acces with a charter flight even if you're EBG, according to the info about lounge acces on SAS website, but (at least sometimes) you seem to earn points anyway and some EB perks seem to be valid as well, at least for EBPs.

Anyone who have experiences with SAS charter flights? For instance on SAS website (both .se, .no and .dk) you can (up to 7 days until departure) pre-select your seats on SAS charter flights, but that is something charged extra for by SAS - unclear how much. Is that fee perhaps waived for EBGs?
Old Aug 9, 2012, 3:13 am
mha

Perhaps it was an Apollo charter? Apollo gives EB Extra points on all SK or Novair operated flights. (http://www.apollo.se/SE/boka-resa/Pages/eurobonus.aspx)
Old Aug 9, 2012, 3:15 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
It all depends on the tour operator who does the charter.

Service classes:

Service class
One service class only - Economy class. Exceptions: Apollo in Sweden and Norway, Startour and Atlantis Rejser in Denmark, are operating with 2 service classes - Charter Plus and Economy class.

Economy class

Meals: one cold/hot meal
Drinks: coffee and tea free of charge. NOML passengers must pay for all beverages
Newspapers: one newspaper per aisle seat on inbound seats. No newspapers on outbound flights.
Check-in: check-in closes 40 min prior STD, or according to local procedures
Baggage: see link

Charter Plus

Cabin seats: all Charter Plus seats are located in the forward part of the cabin
Meals: one cold/hot meal
Drinks: free drinks, beer and/or wine (excluding champagne). On Norwegian flights maximum 3 bottles of wine or drinks per person.
Newspapers: one newspaper per seat on inbound flights. No newspapers on outbound flights.
Check-in: separate check-in if possible. Check-in closes 30 min prior STD, or according to local procedures
Baggage: see link
There is ASR available:

Code:
 Prepaid seat allocation
Passengers can request and pay in advance online for a seat on SAS Charter.

For information and ordering:

www.sascharter.dk - Denmark 

www.sas.no/charter - Norway, for travel with Apollo and Langley

www.sascharter.se - Sweden

Note: For more information regarding seat request contact :
paxrelax[at]paxport.se or phone +46 08-594 309 60

Time limit

From 60 days until 7 days before departure.
Seat changes

Volutary seat changes by passenger not allowed.

Note: Due aircraft changes it is not always possible to confirm preordered seat. The passenger is asked to contact his/her Tour Operator for refund.
The baggage rules are different:

Code:
 Baggage allowance
Class 	Checked baggage 	Cabin baggage 	Cabin baggage dimensions
Charter Plus 	30 kg 	8 kg 	55 X 40 X 23 CM
Economy class 	20 kg 	5 kg 	55 X 40 X 23 CM
Infants regardless of class
	10 kg + one baby stroller/pram 	- 	-

Exception:
 - Passengers with return ticket after 3 weeks or later are entitled to 30 kg.
Note: This is not applicable for passengers with one-way tickets. 

- Ski Charter in economy class allows 15 kg checked in baggage + 5 kg Cabin baggage 
- Ski Charter in Comfort class allows 20 kgs checked-in baggage + 8 kg Cabin baggage
Charter Plus

Apollo, STS Alpresor and Discover The World in Sweden, Apollo and STS Alpresor in Norway and Atlantis Rejser in Denmark are operating with 2 service classes.
etc.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mha
Perhaps it was an Apollo charter? Apollo gives EB Extra points on all SK or Novair operated flights. (http://www.apollo.se/SE/boka-resa/Pages/eurobonus.aspx)
We did buy the tickets through Apollo, yes. However, according to the info from Apollo only tickets booked until June 2012 give EB points, and we booked our ones in July.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 8:48 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
If it was Apollo it would also explain the free drinks served, that pax must have booked the 'Charter Plus' class.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oliver2002
If it was Apollo it would also explain the free drinks served, that pax must have booked the 'Charter Plus' class.
There wasn't any 'charter plus' concept on the flight. The info on the SAS pages you qouted is incorrect I'm affraid. The only differance was if you had pre-ordered food or not, the charge for that was 160 kr (r/t) for adults and 80 kr for children. The only drinks included for adults was coffee/tea and for children juice - for those who had pre-ordered food. All other drinks you had to pay for according to the cloud shop price list for charter flights. The cabin crew were discussing if they should charge an EBP for drinks or not and concluded that they shouldn't.

Last edited by SK989; Aug 9, 2012 at 11:41 am
Old Aug 13, 2012, 8:27 am

Programs: UA PP, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
My company is arranging a set of chartered flights in a few weeks and mine will be on a SAS flight. During check-in, I'll give them my UA*G card number and see if I can make it up to the lounge. I've read different things on FT so we'll see what happens.

Last edited by Lore; Aug 13, 2012 at 8:33 am
Old Aug 19, 2012, 7:14 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I flew SAS Charter last summer from Arlanda to Dalaman. The ticket was booked via Apollo in the "Charter Plus Class". Quite surprised when I took out my BP from the SSCI machine to see the letter C printed on it. I was able to use fasttrack with it, but at the lounge it was a no-go. The agent told me that charter flights were not eligible for access, so I ended up paying 200 SEK to use the rubbish Menzies Lounge next door.

Once onboard two rows on the MD-80 were assigned for "faux C". Seating was in front of the curtain, although it remained open throughout the flight. When I asked the purser if he could shut it he boldly made the excuse "we need to be able to see through the cabin" which didn't make much sense to me. The middle seats were occupied but the legroom was good at 34".

We received a hot 3 course meal, prawn cocktail as starter, beef tenderloin with potato gratin as main, and blueberry pie as dessert. Presentation was practically the same as long haul economy extra, and so were the dishes. Alcohol consumption was indeed limited, but a G&T + Bailey's were enough for me (unlike some fellow pax who were boozing it hard).

All in all, I was very pleased with this product. Retailing at a premium of 450 SEK return, it's actually quite a bargain given the good value you get. I would however consider this to be more like Economy Extra rather than Business.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 6:48 am

Programs: UA PP, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Well, the check-in lady refused to let us enter our UA frequent flier numbers. Both my friend and I (we're both UA*G) were denied access to the SAS lounge at Arlanda T5.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.