FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   SAS | EuroBonus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus-499/)
-   -   Connections in Stockholm (ARN) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus/1259674-connections-stockholm-arn.html)

skba1 Aug 17, 2015 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by UltraRant (Post 25269877)
ARN is horribly inefficient. If you have to get from one terminal to the other, you have to get through security again (which is usually slow and inefficient). If you have to get from T2 to T5 and decide to walk, you are in for a 30 minute workout. Even within T5 the distance between two gates may be 10 to 15 minutes walking (depending on traffic).

In CPH I made a flight at B9 while the aircraft of the inbound flight was parked at D4. Still made it within 5 minutes. :)

There is a transit bus T2->T5 and vice verse without any problems airside...

Just very seldom I have a T2-T5 connection. T5 to T4 is generally not a problem at all, especially with the new fast track at T4.

But yes, CPH is better when it comes to connections that force terminal changes at ARN. An even better airport to connect at is HEL (if you fly OW!).

UltraRant Aug 18, 2015 12:09 am

Airside? That might be the worst advertised bus I know. Next time I'm having a T2-T5 (which indeed doesn't happen often), I'll try this one, if anyone can tell me where it is. :)

Will be on AY again in a few weeks (first in a long time), will see how things are in HEL nowadays. :)

fassy Aug 18, 2015 12:38 am

Originally Posted by skba1 (Post 25285013)
There is a transit bus T2->T5 and vice verse without any problems airside...

Just very seldom I have a T2-T5 connection. T5 to T4 is generally not a problem at all, especially with the new fast track at T4.

But yes, CPH is better when it comes to connections that force terminal changes at ARN. An even better airport to connect at is HEL (if you fly OW!).

agreed the T5-T2 bus is okay, my main complaint is the T4-T5 thingy. Surely it is not a 'problem' but a huge inconvenience! At least they could open a corridor to make that transfer airside...

oliver2002 Aug 18, 2015 2:15 am

Its a shame really that Swedavia didn't make better use of the extensive land they have in Arlanda when they planned and built the T5 F pier. Even the two original T5 piers Gate 01-10 and 11-20 are oddly connected. T4 and T5 can be connected airside, T2 is super isolated and a lost case in terms of airside connectivity.

FlyingMoose Aug 18, 2015 2:36 am

It comes with advantages for locals I guess, at T2 I can park under the terminal and have a 2 minute walk to security and then a < 2 minute walk to the departure gate.

I sincerely doubt there is a lot of T2-T5 transfers happening. The argument for T4->T5 is absolutely valid, though as skba1 points out, the new fast track in T4 is a major improvement. Nonetheless the minimum transfer window is larger than it could be.

UltraRant Aug 18, 2015 2:39 am

It would be great to have a total T4 makeover anyway, an airside transfer tunnel to T5 should be part of that. Every time I get there I feel like stepping into the 70's.

RedChili Aug 19, 2015 7:32 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 25269773)
This just goes toward showing CPH is a more efficient transit airport than ARN.

30-45 min MCT at CPH vs. 20-130 min MCT at ARN?

It appears that 130 min is for SK8951, which is a code-share for the notoriously delayed ET flight from Addis Abeba, which is handled by Menzies, and with plenty of passengers that require Schengen visas. I'm not sure if there any comparable Star Alliance long-haul flights that arrive into CPH.

RedChili Aug 19, 2015 7:44 am

Originally Posted by UltraRant (Post 25286825)
Airside? That might be the worst advertised bus I know. Next time I'm having a T2-T5 (which indeed doesn't happen often), I'll try this one, if anyone can tell me where it is. :)

If you're inside Schengen, the bus leaves from two gates at T5: gate 10C (downstairs from the regular gate 10), or gate F3 or F5 (can't remember which), and arrives at a T2 gate that I don't remember the name of (it's downstairs near gates 62-63). Outside of Schengen, I believe it's gate F1 in T5.

Concerning a tunnel between T4 and T5, there's already a tunnel there, and it's called Arlanda Central Station.

UltraRant Aug 19, 2015 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by RedChili (Post 25293438)
If you're inside Schengen, the bus leaves from two gates at T5: gate 10C (downstairs from the regular gate 10), or gate F3 or F5 (can't remember which), and arrives at a T2 gate that I don't remember the name of (it's downstairs near gates 62-63). Outside of Schengen, I believe it's gate F1 in T5.

Concerning a tunnel between T4 and T5, there's already a tunnel there, and it's called Arlanda Central Station.

I'll keep my eyes open for the bus next time.

For the tunnel: yes, but for that I know it's only landside. What I want is airside. Please correct me if I'm wrong here and I'll send a long and whining complaint to Swediavia for their utter incompetence concerning proper shielding at their biggest port. ;)

RedChili Aug 19, 2015 12:50 pm

The tunnel is only for trains. My point is that the space between T4 and T5 is already "taken."

ekf Aug 19, 2015 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by RedChili (Post 25295115)
The tunnel is only for trains. My point is that the space between T4 and T5 is already "taken."

Wouldn't it be possible with an elevated glass corridor, just outside the big glass Sky City windows? Does not obstruct the view or ground space airside...

fassy Aug 19, 2015 1:58 pm

They should just do it like in FRA with the pedestrian tunnel between A and B pier.

Digging a tunnel shouldn't be rocket sciene.

Or offer a shuttle bus.

GUWonder Aug 19, 2015 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by RedChili (Post 25293381)
It appears that 130 min is for SK8951, which is a code-share for the notoriously delayed ET flight from Addis Abeba, which is handled by Menzies, and with plenty of passengers that require Schengen visas. I'm not sure if there any comparable Star Alliance long-haul flights that arrive into CPH.

EgyptAir or Turkish flights? Both are much shorter of course. Thai or Singapore?

Keep in mind not all connections to/from SAS are intra-*. There are people who come from Qatar or Iraq or Dubai into CPH to connect onto flights to the US or Canada; and those don't involve just Star carriers.

RedChili Aug 19, 2015 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by ekf (Post 25295221)
Wouldn't it be possible with an elevated glass corridor, just outside the big glass Sky City windows? Does not obstruct the view or ground space airside...

Well, there's an entry/exit corridor to Arlanda Central Station protruding from Sky City, so that glass corridor would have to go above the other corridor, putting it really high up in the air.

There's also the issue of where to put the entry/exits in T4 and T5. Gate 11 is the closest gate in T5, and it's a really crowded place. Building a corridor there would probably necessitate dismantling gate 11, and they're already short of gates.

Originally Posted by fassy (Post 25295500)
They should just do it like in FRA with the pedestrian tunnel between A and B pier.

Digging a tunnel shouldn't be rocket sciene.

Or offer a shuttle bus.

Not rocket science, but there are already other tunnels in the area, including the train tunnel, and probably a lot of underground equipment for handling the planes. Digging would involve huge costs.

Another issue is that T5-T4 transfers involve entering Sweden (and perhaps EU), and customs rules probably dictate that you need to physically enter through the customs channel in T5.

Setting up a bus for T4-T5 shouldn't be a problem, though, since they already have some bus gates in T5. But the walk from T4 to T5 is anyway a really short walk, so the bus ride would probably take more time.

RedChili Aug 19, 2015 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 25295510)
EgyptAir or Turkish flights? Both are much shorter of course. Thai or Singapore?

Keep in mind not all connections to/from SAS are intra-*. There are people who come from Qatar or Iraq or Dubai into CPH to connect onto flights to the US or Canada; and those don't involve just Star carriers.

In my experience, TG and TK have very few delays, at least into ARN. I can't speak for SQ, but my impression is that they're very reliable, too. Also, most passengers on TG are Swedish or at least European citizens, so passport control is a breeze.

I can't speak for MS, but do they have a code-share with SK into CPH? The table which was published here earlier was for SK flights (and SK codeshare flights) into ARN, and SK has its code on the ET flight.