FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   SAS | EuroBonus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus-499/)
-   -   Connections in Stockholm (ARN) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus/1259674-connections-stockholm-arn.html)

CPH-Flyer Aug 30, 2016 12:16 am

Originally Posted by mishkira (Post 27138484)
Many thanks for feedback.

Well it seems impossible indeed if 2 different areas/terminals (I wonder why - both Qatar and Russia are non-Schengen countries...)

Indeed I will be on 2 different tickets but why this is an impossible connection? Will I have to exit through immigration, pick up luggage and go to a regular checkin desks (landside one), like I never arrived from DOH?:confused:

There are two separated non-Schengen areas in ARN T5. As someone already pointed out, you can take a bus between the two, however from a time perspective it is not very quick as you need to call the bus when needed. Alternatively you can go through passport control and security, and passport control once again.

45 minutes between flights, and the gate probably closing somewhere between 10 to 20 minutes before departure means you basically need to land early to go from gate to gate. Even at a good day I would say 10 to 15 minutes to leave a plane and move between the two piers and that is assuming Schengen to Schengen. There is just no time.

Indeed, if you have checked luggage, you will need to pick it up and recheck it. I would guess that QR closes their desk before you even land. You would need to be on one ticket to get luggage transferred.

Since it is two different tickets, SU will not know that you are inbound from another flight, and with no checked luggage it takes zero time to offload you once they close the gate. And as you are on two tickets, non of the airlines have any responsibility to rebook you if you loose the connection, so unless your SU flight is fully flexible this could cost you a lot of money.

mishkira Aug 30, 2016 3:14 am

Many thanks for a clear picture how things work at ARN.

Well, apart from pure luck that QR flight should land without delay but overall ARN appears running quite inefficient ops.

Why the hell to have 2 separate non-Schengen zones in quite small airport?

Why would SU never know that I am coming to catch their flight? I would checkin my bag from SIN all the way through to Moscow, so ARN and SU staff would be well aware that I will arrive from Doha and run to catch SU flight.

Doesn't ARN have a support staff assisting short-connection pax at arriving flight gates - girls with pax name sign and even trolley for speedy transfer? Hmmm I am probably talking nonsense at this point, in European sense of airport customer services? ;)

Although I should fairly assume that ARN cargo boys will be in no hurry to move my checked luggage on time to SU flight (even for J pax, clear Short Connection tag and I roll to SU gate on time).

So to sum up, hand luggage is the only possible option (if everything else will click smoothly after arrival) and otherwise over-night in ARN is clearly on the map.
Did somebody mention that beer in Stockholm is super expensive? Well I will report if ARN bets SIN (10++ euro per pint) at least in this category! :D

Thanks again gents, your response was very valuable:)

FT Guest xyzpdq Aug 30, 2016 3:45 am

Originally Posted by mishkira (Post 27138895)
Well I will report if ARN bets SIN (10++ euro per pint) at least in this category! :D

No need to report - here ARN beats SIN :p

SK AAR Aug 30, 2016 3:54 am

Doesn't ARN have a support staff assisting short-connection pax at arriving flight gates - girls with pax name sign and even trolley for speedy transfer?

Keep on dreaming :)

klmml Aug 30, 2016 4:43 am

Why would SU never know that I am coming to catch their flight? I would checkin my bag from SIN all the way through to Moscow, so ARN and SU staff would be well aware that I will arrive from Doha and run to catch SU flight.

Even if QR and SU have an interline agreement (I haven't checked), how can you be sure they'll check your bags all the way through?

Thanks again gents, your response was very valuable:)

We're not all gents...

CPH-Flyer Aug 30, 2016 4:49 am

Many thanks for a clear picture how things work at ARN.

Well, apart from pure luck that QR flight should land without delay but overall ARN appears running quite inefficient ops.

Why the hell to have 2 separate non-Schengen zones in quite small airport?

There are not many airports allowing 45 minute connections international to international as minimum connection time. So in that aspect Arlanda is not that much more inefficient than the rest of the world.

You are missing a point on your checked luggage. As it is two separate tickets, and from One World to Sky Team, QR is very unlikely to check your luggage through to Moscow. They will only check your luggage to Stockholm. That is how airlines generally operate. You might get lucky, but it is not a chance to plan your trip on. In my experience.

The separated ticket means that in SU's system you will be registered as originating in ARN, QR does not have the power to change that. Even if they should check your luggage through.

mishkira Aug 31, 2016 4:07 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 27139104)
You are missing a point on your checked luggage. As it is two separate tickets, and from One World to Sky Team, QR is very unlikely to check your luggage through to Moscow. They will only check your luggage to Stockholm. That is how airlines generally operate. You might get lucky, but it is not a chance to plan your trip on. In my experience.

The separated ticket means that in SU's system you will be registered as originating in ARN, QR does not have the power to change that. Even if they should check your luggage through.

Ok many thanks, well noted and I agree of course - it is not 100% secure reliable to book the whole trip with unknown ARN gap in the middle.

Honestly I don't know how airlines and airports systems pass information about checked luggage going through transit airports.

Knowing my bag will be barcoded with the final destination (SVO), I just assume that:
- all transit airports would know in advance that specific luggage will be coming on QR flight, so ARN cargo does need to transfer it to SU flight - rather then dropping my bag into ARN arrivals hall.
- SU will also know about connecting pax after I checkin at SIN (where pax and luggage will get into systems and according records will be passed on to all transit airports and SU airline).
Well this is how I see things should work with track and trace process :rolleyes:

So would appreciate if someone with knowledge to confirm my understanding is correct or otherwise.
- IF I check my bag all the way from SIN to DOH to ARN to SVO - will ARN know about me and bag at some point of time BEFORE I arrive to ARN?
- Will SU also know in advance that specific pax will be joining from connecting QR flight (rather then pax doing ARN-SVO trip only, so no show will be apparent because I won't report for SU flight at landside checkin desk)?

Of course, if no record of incoming pax is passed to ARN or SU (so they will know about me only AFTER unloading QR plane in ARN) - in such case it will be too late to complete transfer. Overnight ARN and beers scenario full stop.

Appreciate that our discussion has moved on from ARN topic to more general mechanics of airports and airlines operations, so I thank again to everyone for your help about ARN specifics.

Apologies to girls and ladies for any inconvenience caused, not intentionally:)

FlyingMoose Aug 31, 2016 4:27 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR (Post 27138972)
Keep on dreaming :)

That should really not be a dream.

Even being ARN-based and never having to deal with this inefficiency, there is no good reason why the airport makes non-Schengen to non-Schengen transfers so complicated while the infrastructure is there and hilariously easy to utilise to allow non-Schengen to non-Schengen without all the nonsense.

If you don't enter the country there is no reason to go through passport control twice and a very unnecessary and inefficient security check (there is typically only 1 person there).

mishkira Aug 31, 2016 4:42 am

Originally Posted by klmml (Post 27139084)
Even if QR and SU have an interline agreement (I haven't checked), how can you be sure they'll check your bags all the way through?

I will stop by at Changi (I live nearby) and will test QR checkin desk if they can do it.

Frankly I don't remember many cases (except of course US and LCC) when my bag was NOT checked in all the way through, while I had some journeys with quite strange stopovers and airlines involved.
Why ARN (main capital hub in developed country) should be any different is beyond me.

Originally Posted by klmml (Post 27139084)
We're not all gents...

Well noted :)

CPH-Flyer Aug 31, 2016 6:31 am

Originally Posted by mishkira (Post 27144485)
Ok many thanks, well noted and I agree of course - it is not 100% secure reliable to book the whole trip with unknown ARN gap in the middle.

Honestly I don't know how airlines and airports systems pass information about checked luggage going through transit airports.

Knowing my bag will be barcoded with the final destination (SVO), I just assume that:
- all transit airports would know in advance that specific luggage will be coming on QR flight, so ARN cargo does need to transfer it to SU flight - rather then dropping my bag into ARN arrivals hall.
- SU will also know about connecting pax after I checkin at SIN (where pax and luggage will get into systems and according records will be passed on to all transit airports and SU airline).
Well this is how I see things should work with track and trace process :rolleyes:

So would appreciate if someone with knowledge to confirm my understanding is correct or otherwise.
- IF I check my bag all the way from SIN to DOH to ARN to SVO - will ARN know about me and bag at some point of time BEFORE I arrive to ARN?
- Will SU also know in advance that specific pax will be joining from connecting QR flight (rather then pax doing ARN-SVO trip only, so no show will be apparent because I won't report for SU flight at landside checkin desk)?

Of course, if no record of incoming pax is passed to ARN or SU (so they will know about me only AFTER unloading QR plane in ARN) - in such case it will be too late to complete transfer. Overnight ARN and beers scenario full stop.

Appreciate that our discussion has moved on from ARN topic to more general mechanics of airports and airlines operations, so I thank again to everyone for your help about ARN specifics.

Apologies to girls and ladies for any inconvenience caused, not intentionally:)

The problem is, and that is what we are trying to point out, it is unlikely that your bag will be barcoded all the way. It has nothing to do with Arlanda airport. It has to do with whether or not Airlines will and can tag it trhough to the final destination when you have two seperate tickets. Oneworld used to do this within One World, this has been removed as a benefit, and some (most?) airlines in One World have stated that they do not check through on seperate tickets. From One World to Skyteam, ie QR to SU, was never part of what the Airlines offered. And it is even more unlikely to happen.

Will SU know that you are coming from another flight even if the luggage is checked through? In my experience from doing it within Star Aliance (e.g. Thai domestic to SK) not until the luggage and I were actually in Bangkok

Originally Posted by mishkira (Post 27144579)
I will stop by at Changi (I live nearby) and will test QR checkin desk if they can do it.

Frankly I don't remember many cases (except of course US and LCC) when my bag was NOT checked in all the way through, while I had some journeys with quite strange stopovers and airlines involved.
Why ARN (main capital hub in developed country) should be any different is beyond me.

The difference is usually one or several tickets. If you can have the ticket issued on one ticket number, the luggage can also be tagged to the end. It has nothing to do with the airport. It is all Airline related.

To be honest, the airlines can do from a pure technical/system perspective as long as they have an interline agreement. The question is whether they allow their agents to do it, and also if the agent manning the desk knows how to, and is willing to do the extra effort. But as the airline industry gets more and more bare boned, and profit margins more and more under pressure by the LCCs, these kinds of services are generally being restricted.

Of course it may all click and happen excatly like you would like if you have an energetic, informed and helpful agent. But as a piece of advice I have to say "no" as that is the most likely outcome.

oliver2002 Aug 31, 2016 6:48 am

If QR happens to code/tag your bag till SVO, ARN will pick the bag off the QR flight and send it over to the SU flight. There the loader will scan it and the handheld device s/he has will blink red because SU's system doesn't know you checked a bag. So s/he will not load it onto the flight. Only after you report to SU for checkin, they can add the bag tag to your name in the DCS and then the loaders can load it. The gate will only see that you are coming in on QR if QR or SU adds a ghost segment to your separate SU booking with the DOHARN flight details. Then the DCS will tell the agent handling the SU flight that you are currently running from the QR arrival area to the SU gate in ARN.

mishkira Aug 31, 2016 8:47 am

oliver2002 and CPH-Flyer, Many thanks indeed for explanation and patience. I get it now@:-)

BAK Sep 1, 2016 12:33 am

Connecting and lounge use

Hey folks.

First timer in Arlanda here. I am flying LAX-ARN-LED connecting in Arlanda, both legs on SAS. I have about 3 hr there and I wanted to use the SAS lounge. I think I will have to clear the immigration twice to do that. My question is if I will have to clear the security in ARN. I hope not (the lounge should be airside past the security, but as I understand, the lounge is before the Schengen passport control). Is it even worth it ?

Thanks.

CPH-Flyer Sep 1, 2016 1:39 am

Originally Posted by BAK (Post 27149458)
Hey folks.

First timer in Arlanda here. I am flying LAX-ARN-LED connecting in Arlanda, both legs on SAS. I have about 3 hr there and I wanted to use the SAS lounge. I think I will have to clear the immigration twice to do that. My question is if I will have to clear the security in ARN. I hope not (the lounge should be airside past the security, but as I understand, the lounge is before the Schengen passport control). Is it even worth it ?

Thanks.

You will need to clear security and passport control to get to the lounge. And then passport control again to get back to the gate. But you should still have a fair bit of time in the lounge.

darkside1957 Sep 3, 2016 6:49 pm

Some assistance please

First time using ARN and I'll be arriving at T2 (BA) from LHR at 16.45 and then have a QR flight leaving T5 at 21.30. Will be travelling HBO so no checked bags to worry about

Will be travelling in QR Business so will be eligible to use the lounge in T5 (Stockholm Arlanda Lounge?)

What are my options to get from T2 to T5 if I want to use the lounge? Have read about an airside bus between the two terminals. Is this the best solution and do you have to clear immigration and/or security anywhere? I am a UK passport holder

Thanks