FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   SAS | EuroBonus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus-499/)
-   -   Connections in Stockholm (ARN) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus/1259674-connections-stockholm-arn.html)

CPH-Flyer Sep 4, 2016 1:35 am

Originally Posted by darkside1957 (Post 27162069)
Some assistance please

First time using ARN and I'll be arriving at T2 (BA) from LHR at 16.45 and then have a QR flight leaving T5 at 21.30. Will be travelling HBO so no checked bags to worry about

Will be travelling in QR Business so will be eligible to use the lounge in T5 (Stockholm Arlanda Lounge?)

What are my options to get from T2 to T5 if I want to use the lounge? Have read about an airside bus between the two terminals. Is this the best solution and do you have to clear immigration and/or security anywhere? I am a UK passport holder

Thanks

The lounge is in the Schengen section of T5, so you will need to clear immigration at a point.

There are airside busses both for Schengen and non-Schengen areas. They are on a call basis, go down to the departure point and press the call button. I have heard different stories about waiting time for the bus, I have never used it.

Personally, I would probably exit landside in T2 and walk to T5. It is a 10 to 15 minute walk along the terminals. This of course requires clearing security again, but it is usually fairly OK in Arlanda.

Time wise you should be fine.

darkside1957 Sep 4, 2016 4:08 am

Thanks CPH-Flyer

So the options if wanting to use the T5 lounge would be

1) Clear immigration at T2, go landside and walk 15 min or so to T5 (are there no inter-terminal landside buses?), or

2) Catch the airside inter-terminal bus from T2 to T5 (Schengen or non-Schengen area?), clear immigration there then walk to the lounge which I believe is on level 4 of the F pier

CPH-Flyer Sep 4, 2016 8:13 am

Originally Posted by darkside1957 (Post 27163094)
Thanks CPH-Flyer

So the options if wanting to use the T5 lounge would be

1) Clear immigration at T2, go landside and walk 15 min or so to T5 (are there no inter-terminal landside buses?), or

2) Catch the airside inter-terminal bus from T2 to T5 (Schengen or non-Schengen area?), clear immigration there then walk to the lounge which I believe is on level 4 of the F pier

I have never seen an inter terminal bus landside. But I can't rule out there being one. I have walked the route often enough without seeing signs for it.

Yep, that would basically sum up your options....

darkside1957 Sep 4, 2016 8:24 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 27163677)
I have never seen an inter terminal bus landside. But I can't rule out there being one. I have walked the route often enough without seeing signs for it.

Thanks again

Having looked at the airport website there appears to be a landside bus from T5 to T2 but not in the other direction!

https://www.swedavia.com/Global/Till...injer_webb.pdf

JayhawkCO Sep 11, 2016 10:38 am

Hi friends,
Just to tack on to this thread. I have an award ticket flying EWR-ARN on UA connecting to ARN-TOS on SK. I'm assuming a 70 minute connection will be doable? Just clear passport control and the gates are somewhere near each other? Thanks!

Chris

TPJ Sep 11, 2016 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by JayhawkCO (Post 27196312)
Hi friends,
Just to tack on to this thread. I have an award ticket flying EWR-ARN on UA connecting to ARN-TOS on SK. I'm assuming a 70 minute connection will be doable? Just clear passport control and the gates are somewhere near each other? Thanks!

Chris

I think UA uses gates 17-20, you will have to go upstairs to clear Immigration and then go down (to the baggage pick up area, but your baggage will be checked through to TOS) to leave the secure area and re-clear security at the departures upstairs. I somehow do not recall any other option (like to to skip going through baggage pick up area and then re-clearing security).

70 minutes is enough, if UA arrives close to schedule.

JayhawkCO Sep 11, 2016 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by TPJ (Post 27196747)
I think UA uses gates 17-20, you will have to go upstairs to clear Immigration and then go down (to the baggage pick up area, but your baggage will be checked through to TOS) to leave the secure area and re-clear security at the departures upstairs. I somehow do not recall any other option (like to to skip going through baggage pick up area and then re-clearing security).

70 minutes is enough, if UA arrives close to schedule.

Just to clarify, I don't actually have to pick up my bags and recheck a la the US, correct?

Chris

ksu Sep 11, 2016 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by JayhawkCO (Post 27196923)
Just to clarify, I don't actually have to pick up my bags and recheck a la the US, correct?

Chris

No, This is an international connection. The lunacy of having to customs clear luggage from an international to another international destination is an American specialty. 70 minutes is well above MCT intercontinental/ Schengen at ARN (40 minutes ). But is there a direct flight from ARN to TOS? I would have thought that you'd have to change planes at OSL for Tromsų. In that case read the thread about Connecting Norway, as ARN is one of the origins included in that not entirely successful trial.

JayhawkCO Sep 11, 2016 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by ksu (Post 27197351)
No, This is an international connection. The lunacy of having to customs clear luggage from an international to another international destination is an American specialty. 70 minutes is well above MCT intercontinental/ Schengen at ARN (40 minutes ). But is there a direct flight from ARN to TOS? I would have thought that you'd have to change planes at OSL for Tromsų. In that case read the thread about Connecting Norway, as ARN is one of the origins included in that not entirely successful trial.

There is a direct flight. It's a long way off, but I'm booked on SK1492 ARN-TOS on July 4th, 2017. I assumed I didn't have to pick anything up, but when the other poster mentioned something about luggage, I just wanted to confirm.

Chris

ksu Sep 11, 2016 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by JayhawkCO (Post 27197391)
There is a direct flight. It's a long way off, but I'm booked on SK1492 ARN-TOS on July 4th, 2017. I assumed I didn't have to pick anything up, but when the other poster mentioned something about luggage, I just wanted to confirm.

Chris

Only passport control at ARN. Customs clearance will be at TOS.

looter Oct 25, 2016 6:19 pm

I have scheduled a small mile run next month and i need your help since i have visited this airport only once.

The route is ATH-ARN-ATH arriving 21:55 in ARN and departing next day at 06:05.I'm A3G.

What are my options since the SAS lounge is closing early?
Can I stay and get some sleep in transit area?
I don't plan to visit the city.

Thank you.

koffitrash Oct 26, 2016 12:01 am

Originally Posted by looter (Post 27393163)
I have scheduled a small mile run next month and i need your help since i have visited this airport only once.

The route is ATH-ARN-ATH arriving 21:55 in ARN and departing next day at 06:05.I'm A3G.

What are my options since the SAS lounge is closing early?
Can I stay and get some sleep in transit area?
I don't plan to visit the city.

Thank you.

The lounge will be closed during the night. Your option is either to sleep in the transit area, probably not a good sleep but cost efficient:) or get outside to Radisson or cheaper alternative would be to book a room at the restandfly, basically just a bed. It all depends on your budget!

skba1 Oct 26, 2016 12:26 am

I seriously recommend an airport hotel for that one - unless you specifically enjoy hard benches and chairs in the airside area?

fassy Oct 26, 2016 12:32 am

Originally Posted by skba1 (Post 27393995)
I seriously recommend an airport hotel for that one - unless you specifically enjoy hard benches and chairs in the airside area?

The RestAndFly is usually quite affordable but for the frugal traveling airline geek the 747 hostel is something you don't do often:

http://www.jumbostay.com

FlyingMoose Oct 26, 2016 7:00 am

Originally Posted by JayhawkCO (Post 27196923)

I would recommend listening to the announcement just before landing. Arriving international on SK and connecting either domestic or international on SK will get your bags automatically transferred but connecting to other airlines (aside from a few very small domestic ones you won't be using) it doesn't.

Originally Posted by ksu (Post 27197351)
No, This is an international connection. The lunacy of having to customs clear luggage from an international to another international destination is an American specialty.

Uhm no, at ARN you can't make that assumption unless your entire trip is on SK. I don't know what the deal is with arriving on UA and connecting on SAS, I've used the UA flight often but never connected. When arriving into ARN on SK they are very specific about what you should expect about your bags when connecting, listen to the UA (or whatever non-SK airline you're arriving on) announcement and act accordingly.