Wiki Posts
Search

award trip to US - questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2010, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EB*G, BT VIP
award trip to US - questions

I'm planning to use some EB points for a family (adults only) trip in C-class from TLL to the States. Destination I'm looking for is either MIA, FLL or Tampa (don't know the code).
1. What routing/airlines I would be normally offered to these destinations?
2. Are there any better routing or airlines (with better C-class) across the pond I can choose for award trip?
3. Is there a chance to avoid connection in US if I decide for FLL or Tampa?
4. Is it possible to make open jaw for award trip, ie to arrive MIA/FLL/Tampa and depart back from LAX or JFK/EWR?

I guess origin city would mean first leg to CPH/ARN on SK codeshare or FRA/MUC on LH.

p.s. never used points for long haul awards yet, but I guess I better spend them now before SK will make some new "improvements" into EB.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 3:48 am

Programs: SAS Lifetime Gold, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, TK*G Elite+, airBaltic VIP, Sixt Plat, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by another_shot
I'm planning to use some EB points for a family (adults only) trip in C-class from TLL to the States. Destination I'm looking for is either MIA, FLL or Tampa (don't know the code).
1. What routing/airlines I would be normally offered to these destinations?
2. Are there any better routing or airlines (with better C-class) across the pond I can choose for award trip?
3. Is there a chance to avoid connection in US if I decide for FLL or Tampa?
4. Is it possible to make open jaw for award trip, ie to arrive MIA/FLL/Tampa and depart back from LAX or JFK/EWR?

I guess origin city would mean first leg to CPH/ARN on SK codeshare or FRA/MUC on LH.

p.s. never used points for long haul awards yet, but I guess I better spend them now before SK will make some new "improvements" into EB.

1. LH/LX or U.S. carriers.
2. LH is fine, some don't like connection in FRA. Have enough time between the flights and you'll be fine
3. Not, if using SK points. Condor has direct charters to FLL from FRA. MCO (Orlando) is considerable alternative served directly from FRA by LH.
4. You may require overnight stop in FRA or an extra leg like TLL-CPH-FRA.

It is relatively hard to get US awards, particularly in summer time and on school holidays. Book well advance. One upon a time I gave up C or F award to Florida and went to Bangkok instead. Quite a few S.E. Asian trips since then
Old Mar 20, 2010, 10:50 am

Programs: TK*G, SK*S, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
I would, as a first step, recommend that you sign up for ANA Mileage Club and use their excellent web based tool to find availability. Once you found the seats you need, call member service and book them.

As already pointed out, C-class tickets to the US, well actually any award ticket, is difficult to find in the summer months. Look for unexpected routings, including WAW/AMS/CDG/DUS (LH has some US/Canada-bound flights from there as well).

Good luck!

(for more on ANA and how to use it, see all the excellent faqs in the british midland forum)
Old Mar 20, 2010, 11:19 am

Programs: Various shiny cards at hotel chains and airlines
If you are using Eurobonus points, I suggest actually flying SK across the pond, as then you can avoid the 130€ per way YR/YQ.

From 10th May there is daily TLLWAW indeed, and you could use LO.. but I think LH product is better. Best I guess would actually HEL-ZRH-NYC-FLL/TPA with across on LX new Airbus and why not return via FRA on the SQ JFK-FRA connection. It suits fine with FRATLL timings.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 12:32 pm

As pointed out above, you will keep taxes down if using as much SK metal as possible as they don´t charge any fuel charge on awards, which means you will end up with a US connection.
Also beware of Canadian transfer as that will require more points, that said the AC Business Class product is great, both short and long haul.
Guess availability will be your main concern.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 3:35 am
Original Poster

Thanks for advises.
If I book C-trip with last leg on US-domestic, this will be Y or F cabin?
Old Mar 23, 2010, 2:02 am

Programs: TK*G OZ*G AA Plat
The issue if you are going ex-TLL is the limited *A flights or bad timings. Going there, you probably won't go via FRA unless you plan to overnight there, given how late the flight TLL-FRA goes. So on LH, you may end up departing TLL-MUC and then on your return it would be FRA-TLL. I haven't checked, but LH might have direct flights to MIA from FRA/MUC.

The quickest connection is probably TLL-CPH-IAD/EWR on SK, then to Florida on UA or CO. You'll need to go through immigration and customs at your entry point into the US. I haven't done it at EWR lately so can't comment on the speed. When I did it at IAD 2 months ago, it appears they have made lots of improvements in the system (renovations), so it may be faster (though I was not connecting when I went through it last time).
Old Mar 30, 2010, 7:55 am
Original Poster

update

Thanks everyone for advise - you were right - award availability to the States is desperately limited, it looks I can squeeze myself if playing with dates but no way the whole family (I was looking September/October this year).

So I'm going to do that old-style - paid C. It looks SK full-flex business fares are the best I can find, just marginally over LH Z-fares which are not flex. So new questions are:

1. What is the best airport for intl-to-domestic and vv connection SK to UA or CO: EWR/IAD/ORD? And what connection time you consider save & relaxed? One of SK offers is 1:20 connection in IAD from UA domestic to SK, is that sounds realistic?
2. I know it is hard to believe but I never flew US domestic. Generally speaking would you choose UA or CO (narrowbody jet)?
3. When on SK full-flex business ticket - where I'm going to end up on US domestic - Y or F?
Old Mar 30, 2010, 1:16 pm

Programs: TK M&S Elite (*G), SK EB Silver, various more or less shiny hotel cards
So new questions are:

1. What is the best airport for intl-to-domestic and vv connection SK to UA or CO: EWR/IAD/ORD? And what connection time you consider save & relaxed? One of SK offers is 1:20 connection in IAD from UA domestic to SK, is that sounds realistic?
2. I know it is hard to believe but I never flew US domestic. Generally speaking would you choose UA or CO (narrowbody jet)?
1. Avoid IAD for intl-dom if you have another reasonable alternative, horrible airport layout for intl arrivals, you will have little advantage of being first out of the plane if you have to wait for the silly shuttle ("mobile lounge") to leave the bay, and long lines in immigration. But IAD for dom-intl is pretty good since it's smaller than ORD, and you can use the LH lounge. I would not hesitate to book a 1h20min layover for the UA-SK transfer at IAD.

ORD is often messed up during winter, but that shouldn't be a problem for Sep/Oct.

2. In Economy, CO is preferable to UA at the moment, since they will feed you. But that may change from now to this fall.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 12:48 pm

Programs: too many to list
Also... I would personally avoid connecting in EWR that time of the year - I have had too many weather delays in the area in September. Apparently the fog messes things up every September, at least in JFK, and EWR is too close for comfort.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 6:21 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
3. When on SK full-flex business ticket - where I'm going to end up on US domestic - Y or F?
IAD is to be avoided as much as possible as an entry point to the US, but for leaving the US it's acceptable enough to me. ORD is a relative pain, especially as a connection point to leave the US. [Does EWR yet have an airside shuttle bus connecting Terminal B (where SAS and a variety of non-US * carriers use) to Termainal(s) A and/or C? If not, then EWR has some of that same predicament as ORD.]

UA single-aisle planes are likely to be somewhat more comfortable domestically than CO single-aisle planes.

With a fully flexible business class ticket, you should end up in the premium cabin domestically if such a thing exists on the plane you end up on.

In economy class, CO is slated already to kill free meals.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 6:44 am

Programs: EBS
CO will start charging for food in coach sometime in fall.

Continental will continue serving complimentary meals to first- and business-class passengers, as well as to coach passengers on flights longer than six hours and on most international flights.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 4:37 pm

All of the SK published Business Class fares (e.g. DSEBIZ...) books you in First for the US/Chinese/Japan/Thai-legs to my knowledge. This includes First even for 3-class service, at least on UA and CA.
Do double check it when you have made your reservation and call SK if you are indeed booked in Economy and demand the agent to change it. If you make the reservation over the phone ask to be booked in the highest possible booking class for the domestic leg as the fare basis typically says "book in X or X or if X and X not available book in X class" etc.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 11:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SK_RSJ
Do double check it when you have made your reservation and call SK if you are indeed booked in Economy and demand the agent to change it. If you make the reservation over the phone ask to be booked in the highest possible booking class for the domestic leg as the fare basis typically says "book in X or X or if X and X not available book in X class" etc.
I'm usually booking on SK website. It shows "business class" all the way, even UA domestic flight is 2-class service, which do not have C/D/J booking classes at all. I guess my ticket should be in A or F then, there are no other revenue F booking classes?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.