Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Historical SK IC routes, from 1946 to present day

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Historical SK IC routes, from 1946 to present day

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2010, 2:18 pm

I remember flying CPH-GRU on SK in december 1982. The flight was on a DC-10 and made intermediate stops in LIS and GIG. If I rmember correctly the plane was continuing to MVD after GRU after I departed in GRU.
Old May 25, 2014, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
An interesting, and helpful, thread.

I flew SAS SIN-BKK-SIN when working in Singapore in the mid-80s. Pretty sure the aircraft was DC10-30.

I vividly recall the flight as I usually flew TG or SQ (and MH sometimes), and so in mid-1986 flying SK was a whole new experience.

I was upgraded SIN-BKK, my second ever OPUP. First was Cathay on MNL-HKG a few months earlier. I think the business class section was in the nose. I can't find a seat map or photo of the SAS DC10-30 as yet.

Looking around, it seems the flight number was SK971 (see link below) CPH-BKK-SIN, and SK972 for the return SIN-BKK-CPH - but I would be interested if any can confirm this.

Cheers, TK

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Scand...a8266abdc1b51f

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; May 25, 2014 at 6:43 am Reason: corrected flight numbers....
Old May 25, 2014, 8:10 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
CPH-PVG is still being operated though your post shows it was cancelled in 2007?

Otherwise this post makes me sad, can't believe how useful of an airline SK was at one point in time. Where we are today forced to use their competition for high frequency travel on routes such as LAX, HKG, SEA and JNB. Heck, even DY operates LAX these days.
Old May 25, 2014, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
CPH KIX was stopped either with the start of the winter schedule 1996 or the end of the same. I used it in summer 1996, but for the summer 1997 it was not operating any longer.
Old May 26, 2014, 2:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
CPH-PVG is still being operated though your post shows it was cancelled in 2007?

Otherwise this post makes me sad, can't believe how useful of an airline SK was at one point in time. Where we are today forced to use their competition for high frequency travel on routes such as LAX, HKG, SEA and JNB. Heck, even DY operates LAX these days.
I was actaully closed in 2007 - and later re-opend. It is an old thread that has been dug up. Will correct the original post
Old May 26, 2014, 3:20 am

Originally Posted by OFFlyer
NORTH AMERICA

BGO-IAH (2014-
Business class only
SVG-IAH not BGO.
Old May 26, 2014, 4:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JamesBond_ppk
SVG-IAH not BGO.
But of course
Old Oct 23, 2014, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by Hagbard Viking
LAX ended in 1994. There was direct service CPH-LAX and CPH-SEA-LAX already with DC-8 in the early 1970's, perhaps already late 60's. There was also a once weekly CPH-BGO-SEA-LAX for some years.

For several years this was routed ARN-BGO-JFK, there was also JFK-SVG-ARN a few days a week.

During the 1980's :

SK 901/902 747 Huge Viking daily service ARN-GEN-JFK v.v.

SK911/912 747 Ivar Viking daily service CPH-JFK v.v.

There was also (alternate days) CPH-YUL-ORD and CPH-BGO-YUL-ORD.

see above

see above

Routings were: ARN-GOT-NYC, ARN-GEN-NYC, GOT-GEN-NYC

Started 1998.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 12:35 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by Johan
I remember flying CPH-GRU on SK in december 1982. The flight was on a DC-10 and made intermediate stops in LIS and GIG. If I rmember correctly the plane was continuing to MVD after GRU after I departed in GRU.
YES!!! The flight continued on to EZE via MVD with an AR aircraft (partially) blocked for SK passengers.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 2:24 am

Programs: EBG
Originally Posted by Cupart
OMG. I had luckily forgotten everything about those. Who came up with that instrument of torture? Your ears hurt after 15 min, but you just couldn't let go, watching the projected movie and kept being interrupted by PAX standing in the aisle, smoking and chit chatting

Now THAT's IC flying
I remember you had to pay for them, my parents showed us to put our ears next to the holes then we could listen to the movie for free. Later Air NZ gave some out for free and we saved them and carried them on flights for several years after. I still have a set as well as my Junior Jetset badge and logbook.

Last air NZ flight in this log book was the same one that hit Mt Erebus a few weeks later.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 2:51 am

Programs: EBD
Originally Posted by nussle
I remember you had to pay for them, my parents showed us to put our ears next to the holes then we could listen to the movie for free....
Sweet memories. As kids, we used to roll a piece of paper and stuck it into the holes for free listening.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 1:36 pm

Programs: SK-EBD
As this interesting thread has been diged out. In some respect I think CPH-SFJ could be considered an intercontinental route. Greenland is geographically in North America.

At least this was my first long-haul flight. In those days in mid-70΄’ties it was on a DC8 painted with a Scanair tailfin. And it had this pneumatic headphones.

The route was terminated in March 2003, but 2007-2009 it was operated again with an A319.

In the more exotic department:
NRT-KRN and NRT-EVE a few times at least W2012/2013
Old Nov 3, 2014, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Tango Alpha
As this interesting thread has been diged out. In some respect I think CPH-SFJ could be considered an intercontinental route. Greenland is geographically in North America.

At least this was my first long-haul flight. In those days in mid-70΄’ties it was on a DC8 painted with a Scanair tailfin. And it had this pneumatic headphones.

The route was terminated in March 2003, but 2007-2009 it was operated again with an A319.

In the more exotic department:
NRT-KRN and NRT-EVE a few times at least W2012/2013
NRT-KRN operates the 23rd of December this year as well. I guess it is mainly Japanese tour groups going to see aurora borealis, northern lights. It is a big thing over here. Or reasonably big. You can still get quite pricey Plus and Business seats on the flight.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 3:16 pm

Programs: SK-EBD
SAS summer 1979 Inter-Continental Network

A bit of a detour. But just found this on Airline Route.

It's a story from a completely different world and time....

SAS’ summer 1979 Inter-Continental Network, with flights operated by DC8,
DC10 and Boeing 747.

Routes Freq (weekly) / Aircraft Remark
Copenhagen – Anchorage – Tokyo 2 D10
Copenhagen – Athens – Beirut – Baghdad 1 D8S
Copenhagen – Athens – Beirut – Damascus 1 D8S
Copenhagen – Athens – Beirut – Damascus – Baghdad 1 D8S
Copenhagen – Athens – Cairo – Dar es Salaam 1 D8S
Copenhagen – Athens – Jeddah – Copenhagen 1 D8S
Copenhagen – Athens – Kuwait – Bangkok – Manila – Tokyo 1 D8S
Copenhagen – Athens – Kuwait – Calcutta – Bangkok – Manila – Tokyo 1 D8S
Copenhagen – Bergen – Seattle 1 D10
Copenhagen – Cairo 1 D8S
Copenhagen – Cairo – Jeddah – Copenhagen 1 D8S
Copenhagen – Chicago 3 747
Copenhagen – Delhi – Bangkok – Singapore 1 D10
Copenhagen – Dusseldorf – Lagos 2 D8S
Copenhagen – Gothenburg – New York JFK 2 747
Copenhagen – Karachi – Bangkok 1 D10
Copenhagen – Karachi – Bangkok – Singapore 2 D10
Copenhagen – Lisbon – Rio de Janeiro – Montevideo – Buenos Aires 2 D8S
Copenhagen – Lisbon – Rio de Janeiro – Sao Paulo Viracopos – Buenos Aires 1 D8S
Copenhagen – Los Angeles 4 D10
Copenhagen – Montreal – Chicago 4 D10
Copenhagen – Montreal – New York JFK – Copenhagen 1 D8S
Copenhagen – Moscow – Tokyo 1 D8S
Copenhagen – Seattle – Los Angeles 3 747 / 4 D10
Copenhagen – Tehran 2 D8S
Copenhagen – Tel Aviv 3 D8S
Copenhagen – Vienna – Nairobi – Johannesburg 1 D10
Copenhagen – Zurich – Barbados – Port of Spain 1 D8S
Copenhagen – Zurich – Nairobi 1 D10
Stockholm – Bergen – New York JFK 2 747
Stockholm – Copenhagen – New York JFK 7 747
Stockholm – Copenhagen – New York JFK – Bergen – Stockholm 2 747
Stockholm – Gothenburg – New York JFK 1 747
Stockholm – Oslo – New York JFK 3 747

http://airlineroute.net/2015/09/03/rp-sk79/
ffay005 likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That is a fairly fascinating read. In a far less traveling world, I kind of wonder who flew some of these routes..,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.