Wiki Posts
Search

Fairmont Hotel -> Which Alamo/Thrifty location to rent Car

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2008, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Former UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Fairmont Hotel -> Which Alamo/Thrifty location to rent Car

I will be spending 2 days (fri/sat) at the Fairmont. On Sunday, I intend to rent a car for a week (initially heading to Napa). Which rental locations would be reasonable to get to? I could take Bart and return to the Fairmont for the luggage.

Explore

PS After the week rental, I will be returning to SFO for more sightseeing.

Alamo Locations

# Palo Alto - El Camino Real (SFOS76)
# San Francisco - Civic Center (SFOC77)
# San Francisco - O'farrell Street (SFOC78)
# San Francisco - Union Square (SFOC72)
# San Francisco Arpt/Shuttle (SFOT71)
# San Francisco Convention Center (SFOC71)
# San Rafael - Bellam Blvd (SFON75)
Thrifty
SAN FRANCISCO AIRPORT, CA, USA (SFO)
SAN FRANCISCO O'FARRELL.CA,US (SF2)
PS I am looking at Alamo and Thrifty, since I know codes that allow 2 drivers.
Old Nov 7, 2008, 11:06 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
a little confused -

You're leaving the Fairmont to go of for a week, but are you then returning the car directly to SFO, or to somewhere in SF and then heading to the airport at a later date?
Either way Palo and and San Rafael are quite a ways from SF and the bus fare and time spent getting there would make it not worth it IMHO.

If you're returning the car directly to SFO, I would take BART to SFO and then as all the rent a car booths are at a central location, it wouldn't matter which one you used.

If you are going form SF to SF proper, I'd use the Union Sq or O Farrell St locations.
Old Nov 8, 2008, 8:23 pm

They have a car rental agency right in the lobby of the Fairmont. You don't have to go anywhere to pick up a car!!! Call the hotel and ask which company it is, I forgot! 415 772 5000.

But to answer your question as to your choices: Union Square is only a few blocks walk, and O'Farrell street location for Thrifty. Parking in the city is extremely tight and very expensive. The Fairmont charges $45.00 per day. You can park kitty corner to the hotel for $25.00 a day.

It sounds to me though that you are planning on getting the car and checking out, driving around for a few days then returning to the City for a few more days at which point you would be returning the car - right? Sounds like a good plan!

You will LOVE the Fairmont!!!
Old Nov 9, 2008, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Former UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by hot2trot
It sounds to me though that you are planning on getting the car and checking out, driving around for a few days then returning to the City for a few more days at which point you would be returning the car - right? Sounds like a good plan!
That is my plan. Hertz is in the lobby but is twice as expensive. (probably do not have right cdp #)

Thanks for the help.

explore
Old Nov 12, 2008, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by hot2trot
Union Square is only a few blocks walk, and O'Farrell street location for Thrifty.
This is accurate, however, the hotel is at the very crest of Nob Hill (quite steep), while the car rental offices under consideration are at the base of the hill.

I would do the following: check out of your hotel but have the bellmen hold your luggage; then walk or take the cable car downhill; pick up the car, then proceed back to the hotel to pick up the luggage and head for Napa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.