FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   San Francisco (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/san-francisco-468/)
-   -   Recommended Frisco Eateries (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/san-francisco/773654-recommended-frisco-eateries.html)

keisari Jan 1, 2008 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by 2mg (Post 8984248)
Well if someone else is footing the bill (business expense) try Gary Danko.

totally agree. arguably the best french meal in San Francisco and I would say the best foie gras ANYWHERE in the US. Superb food, great service and actually reasonable prices.
You can do a 3, 4 or 5 dish prix-fixe for $75-100 and you can either pair the wines ($65-80) or just get wine by the glass. Not just a meal but an experience.

BillScann Jan 1, 2008 3:36 pm

Thanks for all your suggestions. A question: do any of you know of a good Portuguese restaurant?

keisari Jan 1, 2008 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by BillScann (Post 8985467)
Thanks for all your suggestions. A question: do any of you know of a good Portuguese restaurant?

Sousa's portuguese restaurant.... not bad, owned by the same couple for ages, great vino verde. Only problem......... it is in San Jose about 50 miles south of San Fran, a block off 101 and Alum Rock.

rjque Jan 1, 2008 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by ND76 (Post 8984449)
The Gold Mirror, at the corner of Taraval Street and 18th Avenue, in the Sunset District. My family has been eating at this place for more than 30 years (I'm a native of the Bay Area; I've been in exile here in the DC area for a long time). Italian dinners, great veal and pasta, prime rib dinners on the weekends, fair prices. For those that don't have a car and are staying downtown, this place is convenient, as you can take the Muni Metro "L" train from one of the stations underneath Market Street, and the train stops opposite the Safeway market which is across 18th Avenue from the restaurant. For those with a car, it is located one block east of the major north-south through route in the entire city, 19th Avenue (also known as Route 1).

I lived a block away from The Gold Mirror for a year and tried the place once. It was a long time ago so I don't really remember the food, but I do remember the atmosphere as being very interesting in a stereotypical American-Italian restaurant kind of way.

birdstrike Jan 1, 2008 10:09 pm

Try Lark Creek Steak or Scoma's.

Lark Creek has gotten a lot of my business lately, and Scoma's is a perennial favorite (they have their own fishing boat).

2old4coach Jan 1, 2008 10:22 pm

A man of you class and taste would might be quite pleased with Cable Car Grill or Dennys's.

2old4coach Jan 1, 2008 10:39 pm

In all seriousness: If you Like meat and lots of good old fashion food try The House of Prime Rib on Van Ness Ave. Or Ruth Chris accross the street.
But Calling the City Frisco is an insult.

Teacher49 Jan 1, 2008 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by 2old4coach (Post 8987157)
A man of you class and taste would might be quite pleased with Cable Car Grill or Dennys's.

There is always Tommy's Joint on Van Ness. ;)

If you are thinking of Cable Car Burgers on Mission near Silver (where "Joe Grinds His Own Chuck Daily"), then you are talking high class meat 'n' taters indeed!

lili Jan 2, 2008 12:04 am

Zuni Cafe, Town Hall, One Market, South Park Cafe and Liverpool Lil's get my attention time after time. And Restaurant Lulu. There are so many options ...

SFOTRAVELER Jan 2, 2008 2:35 am

Originally Posted by BillScann (Post 8982233)
...with the exception of oriental cuisine...

:rolleyes:

fduvall Jan 2, 2008 4:18 am

Lived in Russian Hill for years, and one of my favorite neighborhood places is Street on Polk near Green. Sunday special is Buttermilk Fried Chicken. Others that I like in the neighborhood are Frascati or Antica.

For old world Italian or pizza, go to Tommasso's in North Beach/Chinatown.
For modern Italian, go to Delfina's, out on 18th St. in the Mission.

For French food, Restaurant Clementine in the Richmond is great (Clement St.).

For something special and romantic, try Cafe Jacqueline. They only serve souffles (dinner and dessert), but they are AMAZING. It is on Grant St. in North Beach, so parking is nearly impossible.

When guests come to town and want a steak, I love Original Joe's on Taylor St. (in the Tenderloin). They had a fire a few months ago, so not sure if they have reopened. Don't let the location scare you away...it is great! (http://www.originaljoessf.com/).

For crab, go to Thanh Long on Judah street (but this is a Vietnamese restaurant).

We are moving back from Zurich soon, and I can't wait to start eating again!

Good luck,

fduvall

fduvall Jan 2, 2008 4:20 am

And Tommy's Joynt is a classic! My dad worked nearby, so started going there in the early 70's. Still love the hand-carved sandwiches or the "beefalo stew."

fduvall

Originally Posted by Teacher49 (Post 8987263)
There is always Tommy's Joint on Van Ness. ;)

If you are thinking of Cable Car Burgers on Mission near Silver (where "Joe Grinds His Own Chuck Daily"), then you are talking high class meat 'n' taters indeed!

squeakr Jan 2, 2008 12:10 pm

did someone say Portuguese?

www.sfgrubstake.com/menu/index.html

they are a burger/steak place on Polk with some Portuguese specials..they used to have them only on Thursdays but I think it is now every night...

good luck!

WanderingGent Jan 2, 2008 2:36 pm

I've discovered a host of wonderful culinary experiences via Open Table.

Some favorites include Bacar in SOMA, and Catch in the Castro.

GadgetFreak Jan 5, 2008 4:33 pm

Zuni has been my favorite Frisco restaurant for more than 2 decades. I really like the place a lot. Others that have impressed me are Hayes Street Grill, Swans Oyster Depot (lunch only I think), Greens and lots of smaller, grab a bite places like the Jackson Fillmore Tratoria. Then of course there are several places across Frisco Bay in Bezerkley; notably Chez Panisse and Bettys (think that is the name) Diner. Fanny's is also great for a sandwich in the PRB.