Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > San Francisco
Reload this Page >

Transferring from BART to Amtrak in Richmond....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transferring from BART to Amtrak in Richmond....

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2006, 5:44 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Reindeerflame
...Richmond works fine and is an easy transfer opportunity....
Indeed it was indeed. Piece of cake.

I would NOT recommend doing it at night, though, in that neighborhood since there is no security for the Amtrak side of things.

Thanks to everyone.
Old May 18, 2006, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM+, HHonors, Amtrak GuestRewards
I understand taking Amtrak and the pursuit of miles--I do wonder, though, whether Greyhound could be a money-saver vs. one of the airporters, for future trips. There is only one bus/day to Santa Rosa, according to their site, departing SF's Transbay Terminal at 3:35 pm, and arriving in Santa Rosa at 5:20 pm (transiting via the Oakland Greyhound station) for $18.50. Separately, Golden Gate transit has buses for about $8 one way, and which take about 2 hours to make the trip (commute buses) or 2 hrs 50 min on the "regular" bus (bleh).

-Hayden
Old May 21, 2007, 10:46 am

Programs: AGRSelectPlus AmexMR WN UA AA HHSilver HGR MRSilver...
Originally Posted by Reindeerflame
This really beings on the Amtrak Guest Rewards Forum, where plenty of actual users of this connection would also have had ready answers.

Richmond works fine and is an easy transfer opportunity (self-explanatory when you get there), but there are few amenities. The BART fare will be higher and the Amtrak fare slightly lower than SF.

Another option is to take BART to the Embarcadero station in San Francisco, and to walk down about 1 to 2 blocks to the Ferry Building at the foot of Market. There, in an adjoining building on the south side is the staffed Amtrak station for San Francisco (SFC), with waiting room and restrooms.

Amtrak buses also pick up at the Hyatt Regency (Financial District stop), but there you would wait on the street; there is a sign on a post saying "Amtrak bus"). If there is a bit of transfer time, wandering over to the Ferry Building makes sense, and there are all the gourmet items for purchase in the marketplace there.

The disadvantage with SF is the intermediate bus ride to Emeryville.

But, both concepts are workable.
I ride the Capitol Corridor twice a week from San Francisco to Sacramento, boarding the Amtrak bus at the Ferry Building. Having tried both options, I'd say that from my location in SF the Amtrak bus is cheaper, more reliable, and just as fast -- plus you get an additional 100 rewards points for the SF-Emeryville leg of the trip. It's a personal preference of course. BART works well and is generally on time. Bear in mind that if BART is late Amtrak won't wait for it, and you're basically left sitting on the platform for another hour talking to the panhandlers.

Last edited by peapod; May 21, 2007 at 11:40 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.