Proposal Location in San Francisco

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2005, 12:35 pm
used to be 'Flyfarfar'
Original Poster

Programs: DL, AA, SPG, MR, HGP, IHG
Proposal Location in San Francisco

Hello,

I am new to this forum, however feel it will be a great location for this thread.

I am planning a great trip to San Francisco from the midwest, and have never been there before. In late July I plan to propose to my girlfriend and would like to do it in San Francisco.

Can anyone please speak to preferable locations with scenery in the San Francisco Bay area. Preferably near the downtown area and with a disguise to get there (ie, we'll go here to eat/hangout/check out scenery, not get proposed to).

I appreciate any help you can provide and will certainly share the outcome of the trip.
Old Jun 8, 2005, 12:43 pm

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
Take the Blue/Gold Line (think thats the name) ferry to Alcatraz and take a tour. That would certainly be a good 'cover' for the proposal. "I am a prisoner of your love .. will you ... "

Seriously, several of the upscale hotels have wonderful views on the top floor. The more expensive the better they would be able to work ahead of time with you on a surprise ring delivery. No specific suggestions .. OR something overlooking the Ocean like the Cliff House restaurant.

All depends on finances for this proposal! I would be you could hire a Mime from Pier 39 .. to follow her around for a while and then 'assist' with the proposal.

Best wishes!
Old Jun 8, 2005, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, RCC, PreChk , Hertz 5* Gold, HH Silver, SPG Gold thx to Amex Plat
With Scenery

1. Fort Point, on the south anchorage of the Golden Gate bridge (this is where Jimmy Stewart pulls Kim Novak out of the water in the Hitchcock movie "Vertigo")
2. overlook on Twin Peaks, looking east towards downtown and SF Bay
3. Carnelian Room, restaurant on top of the Bank of America bldg

Good luck...
Old Jun 8, 2005, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
In the downtown area, restaurants at the top of hotels is probably the best suggestion (Hilton near Union Square, Mark Hopkins, Fairmont [the tower part]).

Or on a dinner cruise of one of the Hornblower cruises.

Near (but not really in) downtown, I would suggest the top of Coit Tower at the top of Telegraph Hill.

Further from downtown, but other great places:

-- Golden Gate Park (several locations there in)
-- Vista Point across the Golden Gate Bridge (Marin County, looking back at The City)
-- Fort Point at the base of the Golden Gate Bridge on the SF side
-- Treasure Island (looking back at The City)
-- Top of Mt. Tamalpais or down in Muir Woods in Marin County
-- Angel Island in San Francisco Bay (ferry from Tiburon/Belevedere)

Of course, all of these are basically contingent on the fog having NOT rolled in!

Good luck!
Old Jun 8, 2005, 3:57 pm

Programs: NWA Plt,AA ExPlt,UA Pre,USAir Gld,*wood Plat, HIL Gld, Hyatt Gld, PriorityCl Plt, Marriot Silv

Being that your from the midwest, a few places you might want to avoid doing this

1) Sausage Factory - Restaurant in the Castro
2) Anywhere on 3rd Ave in Bayview/Hunters Point
3) Tenderloin around Eddy and larkin
4) Haight/Ashbury

Actually a favorite of mine and the spot I chose was under the dome at the Palace of Fine Arts.
Old Jun 8, 2005, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
Flyfarfar--

Do you have elite status with any hotel chain? That could be helpful if you want to use a hotel restaurant.

...And under the dome of the Palace of Fine Arts is indeed an excellent recommendation. You could have your own "reception" in the Exploratorium!

Last edited by jmd001; Jun 8, 2005 at 4:09 pm
Old Jun 8, 2005, 4:11 pm

Programs: PC Gold; SPG AAA; HiHo Silver; Hrtz Gld; Emld Clb; UA NWA NoBody; VA EleVAte; WN MooMoo
If you like scenic spots, I'd pick Pier 41(?), the pier next to Pier 39. The area where Blue and Gold Fleet (ferry) passengers get on and off this particular dock. It's next to some restrooms. The area has some benches and is flat. On a nice day, you can see the Coit Tower on one side, and Alcatraz and the Golden Gate Bridge on the other side.

EZ access. And, every tourist goes there, so it's an unsuspecting proposal spot.
Old Jun 8, 2005, 4:47 pm

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
A warm welcome to FlyerTalk flyfarfar and congratulations on your upcoming proposal. I love San Francisco and you've done well to choose such a beautiful city. My recommendation would be to suggest to your girlfriend to go for a nice evening drive (assuming you'll be hiring a car) and go across the Golden Gate Bridge and up to the visita overlooking the bridge. The whole of San Francisco is at your feet. That would be a perfect setting for your plan. And don't forget to bring a bottle of bubbly and some glasses to toast. Cheers!
Old Jun 8, 2005, 4:50 pm

Programs: PC Gold; SPG AAA; HiHo Silver; Hrtz Gld; Emld Clb; UA NWA NoBody; VA EleVAte; WN MooMoo
Originally Posted by UK flyer
A warm welcome to FlyerTalk flyfarfar and congratulations on your upcoming proposal. I love San Francisco and you've done well to choose such a beautiful city. My recommendation would be to suggest to your girlfriend to go for a nice evening drive (assuming you'll be hiring a car) and go across the Golden Gate Bridge and up to the visita overlooking the bridge. The whole of San Francisco is at your feet. That would be a perfect setting for your plan. And don't forget to bring a bottle of bubbly and some glasses to toast. Cheers!
Drinking and driving?

Anyhow, blood alcohol acceptable level is at 0.08.
Old Jun 8, 2005, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by goingsomewhere
Drinking and driving?

Anyhow, blood alcohol acceptable level is at 0.08.
OOOPS! Silly me, what was I thinking...getting carried away too much there. Okay, just ditch the champers! Won't be quite so romantic...
Old Jun 8, 2005, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by UK flyer
OOOPS! Silly me, what was I thinking...getting carried away too much there. Okay, just ditch the champers! Won't be quite so romantic...
Just FYI:
The bridge patrol tends to hang around the bridge. If they see you drinking and driving off, it's not good.
Old Jun 8, 2005, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by goingsomewhere
Just FYI:
The bridge patrol tends to hang around the bridge. If they see you drinking and driving off, it's not good.
I meant ditch as in forget the whole idea!!!
Old Jun 8, 2005, 5:01 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AF, SPG and Tivo!
Coit tower.
Old Jun 8, 2005, 5:40 pm
used to be 'Flyfarfar'
Original Poster

Programs: DL, AA, SPG, MR, HGP, IHG
Great Responses

Wow!

You all are great. Here's the answers to some of your questions.

I am a Platinum at Starwood and have reserved a room at the W. I have reserved a rental car for the entire week. Finances are not really a problem unless it involves hiring a movie star.

So sounds like there are several viable options proposed:
1) Alkatraz, which we have purchased tickets for on the second day. (Could be a great option since it will be at the begining of the trip.

2) Go to the Vista overlooking the Bridge. Is this hard to get to? I would have to wait to the second day's afternoon after alkatraz to pull this one off. Would be a good excuss to say now lets go check out the bridge. How do you get there once you cross the bridge?

3) Wait till the second night and go to a very nice dinner on the top of a building. Interesting thought, (Hilton near Union Square, Mark Hopkins, Fairmont the tower part, Carnelian Room) which one would be closest to the W?

4) What exactly is the top of Coit Tower at the top of Telegraph Hill? And how do I get there from Downtown?

5) Pier 39 or 41 is a another great option after we get back from Alkatraz. Seeing as I could just attach the ball and chain there.

So I have to say thank you all very much for the kind and quick responses. I think right now I am still up in the air, but will have to look into each of these. These are great starting points.
Old Jun 8, 2005, 5:46 pm

I believe the Hilton near Union Square is closest to the W.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.