Search

Terminal 3 to International A connection SFO

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2018, 1:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas Gold
Terminal 3 to International A connection SFO

Hi,
Due to some changed flight times I am now considering an itinerary with a 85-minute connection in SFO. The problem is that I would arrive in Terminal 3 (United domestic) and have to get to International Terminal A (Qantas). My bag would be checked through, but from what I can see I would have to re-clear passport control and security in Terminal A, which might make things a bit tight. Can anyone estimate how long it would take me to get from Terminal 3 to International Terminal A? I am able bodied and a fast walker.
Thanks.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
There is no departure passport control in the USA. You will have a 10 minute walk from the time you leave the UA secured area until you hit the A security line. Nevertheless, if you're arriving from a short haul domestic UA flight into SFO, your chance of a delay is "not insignificant."
dhuey and Mpembina like this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas Gold
Thanks for your reply. I think I'll chance it...
Old Apr 10, 2018, 9:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Mpembina
Thanks for your reply. I think I'll chance it...
I estimate your odds of making the connection at 4 out of 5. Your checked bag: 3 out of 4. Best of luck.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 12:57 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
For the 10:45pm QF flight, hopefully by 9pm any potential weather delays on arrival of your connection should be less likely to affect your margin of safety. And the security lines should generally be short at that time of night.

Are you on 1 ticket, or did you piece this itinerary together yourself and they're separate tix?
Old Apr 22, 2018, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Unless you are mobility-challenged,do NOT take the air-train for this connection - it'll be faster to walk it.

From Terminal 3, follow the signs to International G terminal. This will take you air-side along the connector between Terminal 3 and International G.

As soon as you get to Intl G (you'll come up the escalators and then see the security area), turn left and take the exit. Then keep walking straight and you'll come to the Intl A security area (after walking past the check-in counters).

Your biggest risk here is that UA likely won't be able to give you a boarding pass for the QF flight, and QF check-in closes 60 minutes before departure. You may be able to check-in online, but if you're not there's a real chance you won't get to the check-in counter before the 1 hour mark.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.