Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting around San Francisco

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2017, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Getting around San Francisco

Wife & i visiting San Francisco for 1st time in April. Staying 4 nights on Nob Hill & wondered if buying the City Pass ( covers street cars, trolleys & muni system) to be able to get around a bit would be worthwhile. Looking to do Alcatraz tour & the California Academy of Science museum in Golden Gate Park & some shopping.
Thanks in advance for any guidance
Old Jan 6, 2017, 8:24 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Cable car to Fisherman's Wharf and Union Square, Uber for everything else. Not worth buying a pass
Old Jan 6, 2017, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
How much is the City Pass?

If you will be doing much travel on routes where Muni Metro serves (light rail, some of it underground), the pass may serve you well. Traffic is so bad, and restrictions on private vehicles on Market and some other streets cause a lot of headache when taking UBER, depending on where you are going. Also, as you are staying on Nob Hill, and walking up/down isn't always what you want to do (esp. if dressed in shoes for a nice dinner, etc), and since cable cars are a fortune for single rides, the pass may serve you well.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 3:41 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
How much is the City Pass?
The CityPASS is currently on sale for $94 (50% off).

Included is the following:
  1. 7-day Cable Car and Muni Bus Passport
  2. California Academy of Sciences
  3. Blue & Gold Fleet Bay Cruise Adventure
  4. Exploratorium OR de Young Museum
  5. Aquarium of the Bay OR Monterey Bay Aquarium

A standalone 7-day Cable Car and Muni Bus Passport is $42.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 7:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by TWA884
The CityPASS is currently on sale for $94 (50% off).

Included is the following:
  1. 7-day Cable Car and Muni Bus Passport
  2. California Academy of Sciences
  3. Blue & Gold Fleet Bay Cruise Adventure
  4. Exploratorium OR de Young Museum
  5. Aquarium of the Bay OR Monterey Bay Aquarium
That sure looks like a good deal to me. Even if it saves you no money, it would save you a whole bunch of hassle and time in lines.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 1:17 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by neilsr
Looking to do Alcatraz tour
You should book that now. It fills up far in advance. (Weekends in April have already started to fill up)
Old Jan 7, 2017, 4:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
You should book that now. It fills up far in advance. (Weekends in April have already started to fill up)
As far as i can see Tickets can only be booked 90 days in advance & as its the end of April before we go they are not available yet but will buy as soon as available.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 11:48 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
As far as i can see Tickets can only be booked 90 days in advance ...
Ah, you are right... Looks like demand in March isn't quite as high as usual. Nevertheless, you don't want to be disappointed and left at the dock... Better to have your pick of times.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
Ah, you are right... Looks like demand in March isn't quite as high as usual. Nevertheless, you don't want to be disappointed and left at the dock... Better to have your pick of times.
Yes, there is a very strong consensus among the locals here that you want to book your Alcatraz tickets as soon as you are sure about your dates here. So many visitors learn the hard way that it's all booked up for the entire time of their visit.

I think it's almost a must-do part of an S.F. visit (at least once) after the cable cars and the GG Bridge. The ferry ride over itself is a joy.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

another question, we will be transferring to Los angeles on the 29th for a cruise departing San Pedro on the 30th. Is it better to fly out of SFO to LAX or OAK to Long Beach?
Old Jan 7, 2017, 4:47 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
another question, we will be transferring to Los angeles on the 29th for a cruise departing San Pedro on the 30th. Is it better to fly out of SFO to LAX or OAK to Long Beach?
OAK is less prone to flight delays than SFO and LGB is closer to San Pedro than LAX.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 10:59 pm

https://www.sfmta.com/getting-around...tor-day-passes

So a 7 day pass is $42. Take the cable car ride out ($7) and you have spent $35. Thats 15 rides on a bus, not counting transfers. A transfer is anytime within 90 min of first boarding.
So 4 rides per day, per person.

Probably worth it?

If you are on Nob Hill, 6x rides on the cable car has you covered, so there is that.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
OAK is less prone to flight delays than SFO and LGB is closer to San Pedro than LAX.
Yes, and LGB would be so much easier to get through. Traffic in/out of LAX keeps getting more and more miserable. I would take JetBlue from OAK or SFO to LGB. I agree that OAK is less prone to delays, but that would require the OP to cross the Bay Bridge (if not taking BART), which is also prone to delays. I'd give the edge to SFO in this situation.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by dhuey
Yes, and LGB would be so much easier to get through. Traffic in/out of LAX keeps getting more and more miserable. I would take JetBlue from OAK or SFO to LGB. I agree that OAK is less prone to delays, but that would require the OP to cross the Bay Bridge (if not taking BART), which is also prone to delays. I'd give the edge to SFO in this situation.
LAX is so incredibly bad now (traffic in/out) - the hotel shuttles can't even keep regular schedules. Whichever meets your schedule best (SFO or OAK) to LGB is your best bet. Note that you might not want to go to OAK during the afternoon (commute time) of a weekday.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 2:06 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
Agree 100%

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
LAX is so incredibly bad now (traffic in/out) - the hotel shuttles can't even keep regular schedules. Whichever meets your schedule best (SFO or OAK) to LGB is your best bet. Note that you might not want to go to OAK during the afternoon (commute time) of a weekday.
Midday from OAK would be a great choice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.