SFO or SJC

Old Nov 8, 16, 5:40 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Houston
Programs: AC E75, *G, Fairmont Plat, BA Gold
Posts: 94
SFO or SJC

bumping an old thread, having to fly IAH to either SFO or SJC destination is Concord, so North East close to Martinez.

Oakland is out as I am trying to stay on United, which airport (SFO or SJC) do you recommend, will rent a car and drive to Concord.

Thanks!
mkavie is offline  
Old Nov 8, 16, 5:40 pm
  #2  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Houston
Programs: AC E75, *G, Fairmont Plat, BA Gold
Posts: 94
forgot to add, price doesn't matter, looking for ease of travel, thx
mkavie is offline  
Old Nov 8, 16, 10:02 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,105
I am going to say SJC. Smaller airport, less fog delays, no bridges to cross.

Also, don't cout out flying to SMF. Slightly longe drive to Concord, but depending on the time of day, it could be a much faster drive.
returnoftheyeti is offline  
Old Nov 9, 16, 7:30 am
  #4  
Moderator Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond
Posts: 33,920
You don't say what time of day. That can make an extreme difference.

At "rush" hour, your travel from SJC to Martinez could take as long or longer than Sacramento to Martinez and be a very unpleasant drive.

But then there have been plenty of times that SFO to Martinez also would have taken that long.

I second the notion that you explore SMF, but if it MUST be SJC or SFO, I would choose SFO by a small margin.
cblaisd is offline  
Old Nov 9, 16, 11:14 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: On the road, 24/7/365
Posts: 3,238
One more vote to consider SMF. I would think that SJC would be more predictable than SFO (based on fog, and nasty commutes involving bridges). SJC offers more routings.
365RoadWarrior is offline  
Old Nov 9, 16, 1:46 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Over the Bay Bridge, CA
Programs: Jumbo mas
Posts: 30,587
If you will be starting your drive from SFO on a weekday after 2pm (the latest), SJC is probably an equal option, because from SFO you would be better off backtracking down to the San Mateo Bridge after that time.

SMF is a good option, albeit a longer drive, and depending on your return time, 80 East is no picnic.
Eastbay1K is offline  
Old Nov 9, 16, 5:56 pm
  #7  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Berkeley, CA USA
Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Posts: 43,216
Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior View Post
One more vote to consider SMF. I would think that SJC would be more predictable than SFO (based on fog, and nasty commutes involving bridges). SJC offers more routings.
SMF would be especially compelling during rush hours. With no traffic (not common around here), the drive times to Concord would be pretty close. But traffic around SFO and SJC in the rush hours is getting really bad. There might be a few slowdowns from SMF to Concord, but probably not bad.

For example, according to Google Maps, right now (5 pm local time) SJC to Concord is 1hr50min. From SMF it is 1hr23min.

But...I'm not seeing any nonstops IAD-SMF. I don't think it's worth adding a connection.
dhuey is offline  
Old Nov 9, 16, 10:38 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Over the Bay Bridge, CA
Programs: Jumbo mas
Posts: 30,587
Originally Posted by dhuey View Post
But...I'm not seeing any nonstops IAD-SMF. I don't think it's worth adding a connection.
Good thing you're not writing any of my appellate briefs. OP is flying from IAH.
Eastbay1K is offline  
Old Nov 10, 16, 9:40 am
  #9  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Berkeley, CA USA
Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Posts: 43,216
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
Good thing you're not writing any of my appellate briefs. OP is flying from IAH.
Doh!
dhuey is offline  
Old Nov 10, 16, 2:15 pm
  #10  
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palo Alto, California,USA
Posts: 17,045
Another option is to rent the car in Concord or Walnut Creek. Then you can avoid the hassle of driving through traffic by taking BART to and from SFO. Rental should be cheaper too as you avoid airport surcharges.
RichardInSF is offline  
Old Nov 10, 16, 2:26 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Over the Bay Bridge, CA
Programs: Jumbo mas
Posts: 30,587
Originally Posted by RichardInSF View Post
Another option is to rent the car in Concord or Walnut Creek. Then you can avoid the hassle of driving through traffic by taking BART to and from SFO. Rental should be cheaper too as you avoid airport surcharges.
Yes, but you've got (1) a BART ticket purchase (which is over $11), (2) a wait for BART of anywhere up to 15 minutes, (3) a BART ride of approximately 1:15, and (4) getting to the car rental, which isn't right at the station. So you're nearing 2+ hours to get from the SFO Bart Entrance just to get to CCR and pick up a car.
Eastbay1K is offline  
Old Nov 10, 16, 4:34 pm
  #12  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Berkeley, CA USA
Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Posts: 43,216
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
Yes, but you've got (1) a BART ticket purchase (which is over $11), (2) a wait for BART of anywhere up to 15 minutes, (3) a BART ride of approximately 1:15, and (4) getting to the car rental, which isn't right at the station. So you're nearing 2+ hours to get from the SFO Bart Entrance just to get to CCR and pick up a car.
That last part is the problem. Doesn't look like there is any car rental near the Concord, North Concord or Walnut Creek stations.
dhuey is offline  
Old Nov 11, 16, 9:08 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Santa Cruz, CA USA
Programs: UA, HH, SPG
Posts: 7,286
Originally Posted by dhuey View Post
That last part is the problem. Doesn't look like there is any car rental near the Concord, North Concord or Walnut Creek stations.
Wouldn't Enterprise pick you up at Bart?

Enterprise -
1) 1790 Concord Ave - Concord
2) 2550 Monument Ave - Concord
3) 3679 N. Main - Walnut Creek
JerryFF is offline  
Old Nov 11, 16, 10:16 am
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Over the Bay Bridge, CA
Programs: Jumbo mas
Posts: 30,587
Originally Posted by JerryFF View Post
Wouldn't Enterprise pick you up at Bart?

Enterprise -
1) 1790 Concord Ave - Concord
2) 2550 Monument Ave - Concord
3) 3679 N. Main - Walnut Creek
Yes, but how much time are you really saving at that point?

AM weekday flight into SFO, get in by noon, drive to CCR in under an hour. Done.
Eastbay1K is offline  
Old Nov 11, 16, 11:23 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Santa Cruz, CA USA
Programs: UA, HH, SPG
Posts: 7,286
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
Yes, but how much time are you really saving at that point?

AM weekday flight into SFO, get in by noon, drive to CCR in under an hour. Done.
ain
I wasn't suggesting taking BART - just responding to the comment that there weren't any car rental offices in the Concord/Walnut Creek area convenient to BART.
JerryFF is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread