Wiki Posts
Search

Security at SFO

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2023, 12:58 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by gaobest
I thought Clear + Pre meant going with clear and then to the front of the Pre queue. Surely that’s time saving.
Basically yes, but that doesn’t help you when the Clear line is longer than the Pre-Check line, although IME that’s not the norm even at SFO T3.
gaobest likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2023, 9:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by nnn
Basically yes, but that doesn’t help you when the Clear line is longer than the Pre-Check line, although IME that’s not the norm even at SFO T3.
Regular Pre is faster when there is no line. It takes longer to deal with the scanners and Clear agents than just handing your ID to the TSA/Covenant officer. Add in the frequent chaos around the Clear kiosks, with untrained employees and new customers, plus the very frequent "ID Verification" checks, and Clear can now take 2-3x as long as just walking up and handing over your DL.

I'd say I actually saved time with Clear once out of my past ten flights.

I used to be a huge Clear fan but the utility has really declined.
nnn and gaobest like this.
Old Jun 14, 2023, 10:48 pm
nnn

Originally Posted by Kacee
Regular Pre is faster when there is no line. It takes longer to deal with the scanners and Clear agents than just handing your ID to the TSA/Covenant officer. Add in the frequent chaos around the Clear kiosks, with untrained employees and new customers, plus the very frequent "ID Verification" checks, and Clear can now take 2-3x as long as just walking up and handing over your DL.

Fair point. I went through SFO T3 yesterday and Clear had no line whereas Pre-Check had a couple of wraps around the snake. So we probably saved time in Clear. But yeah, it's not always the case.
gaobest and Kacee like this.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas

I've not had "Clear Chaos," but the frequency of having an ID check is getting frequent. Last trip I had not only ID check but also a random pat at the WTMD (not a Clear issue).
gaobest likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 3:00 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by nnn
I went through SFO T3 yesterday and Clear had no line whereas Pre-Check had a couple of wraps around the snake. So we probably saved time in Clear.
That's exactly the situation where Clear still saves time.

This morning at T1 it was walk right up to the Covenant agent, and I definitely saved time vs. Clear. (Then of course had to wait in a long line caused by the unbelievably slow automated bag scanners, so net result was a complete wash.)
nnn likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hot off the press data point. About an hour ago, I entered the T2 Clear/pre line. Guy behind me was confused and was Pre only. They sent him around. I got "random" ID check (and random patdown). Guy who went around was right behind me after the ID check and in the security line. So, it was exactly even.
gaobest likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2023, 1:17 pm
nnn

Then of course had to wait in a long line caused by the unbelievably slow automated bag scanners, so net result was a complete wash.)
Hate those.
Old Jun 21, 2023, 12:25 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Friday, mid-day, Terminal 3... the Premier security checkpoint between 3 and International was closed. Main security checkpoint apocalyptic. Backed up past the Premier brag drop area toward the Terminal 2 connector. Looked like at least an hour wait. Everything funneled into a single lane, no regard to Premier status. Didn't even look like they had a separate Pre-Check or Clear line at all. Utter chaos of people trying to jump into the line, trying to form additional lines, arguing with the line managers, children crying, etc.

Doubled back to the International checkpoint. Calm and peaceful. 10 minute delay. All lines appropriately managed.

I haven't seen it this bad in T3 since pre-pandemic. Insane.
SPN Lifer and nnn like this.
Old Jun 21, 2023, 9:40 pm

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
Friday, mid-day, Terminal 3... the Premier security checkpoint between 3 and International was closed. Main security checkpoint apocalyptic. Backed up past the Premier brag drop area toward the Terminal 2 connector.
Pretty predictable that 3E security is gong to be overloaded if 3F is closed mid-day on a Friday in the summer. I wonder if TSA is having staffing shortages.

Smart move to head over to G security.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2023, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dhuey
Pretty predictable that 3E security is gong to be overloaded if 3F is closed mid-day on a Friday in the summer. I wonder if TSA is having staffing shortages.

Smart move to head over to G security.
Curious - which is the better move - going to D or G security?
Old Jun 21, 2023, 10:26 pm

F3 (F concourse, checkpoint 3) is listed as open until 10 pm, but I've never seen it open anywhere close to that the past few years. I usually fly out of T3 late afternoon or evening, and I don't recall seeing F3 open past 3 pm since covid changed everything.

(and btw, SFO is not staffed by TSA, it's Covenant Security.)
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
G will be relatively quiet mid-afternoon. Won't start to pick up until the evening.

Though with Pre and Clear, I've never had to wait more than about 10 minutes at F1.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2023, 10:31 pm

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I think I’d always try G first. I’ve never seen G get really bad, but I have seen D get crazy. Also, I would think that G has a lower portion of PreCheck passengers (more foreigners).
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2023, 10:35 pm

I think I’d always try G first. I’ve never seen G get really bad, but I have seen D get crazy. Also, I would think that G has a lower portion of PreCheck passengers (more foreigners).
It depends on time. The crowds at G are very predictable due to the banking of international flights. I've been in some awful pre-check lines in G when flying late-night.
GUWonder and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Oct 8, 2023, 10:22 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
My brother will be flying in from CPH. Is there a website that reflects how busy incoming passport control and luggage carousels are at a given time, based on say arriving flights?
Old Oct 8, 2023, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As an update, my last two visits to D have been quite busy (early AM, and mid-AM). Precheck w/Clear was a big timesaver, and even Clear had a wait. Two visits ago, there were several people waiting for Clear, so I went directly into the Precheck line, which wasn't moving very quickly, and when I saw the Clear line had vacated, went over there instead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.