Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > San Francisco
Reload this Page >

SFO lounge access - alternative to Clubhouse?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2015, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: virgin flying club silver

Hi everyone, apologies if this is in the wrong area!

Flying LHR SFO Club World on to LAS with Virgin America First...we arrive on a sunday at 1655 so no point paying for the Clubhouse as it shuts at 1800, do we have any other lounge options as we have about 3 hours to kill?

Many thanks

Last edited by aBroadAbroad; Jan 18, 2015 at 6:54 pm Reason: More descriptive title
Old Jan 18, 2015, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by chiltz
Hi everyone, apologies if this is in the wrong area!

Flying LHR SFO Club World on to LAS with Virgin America First...we arrive on a sunday at 1655 so no point paying for the Clubhouse as it shuts at 1800, do we have any other lounge options as we have about 3 hours to kill?

Many thanks
T2 at SFO serves American Airlines and Virgin America only. There is only one lounge in that particular terminal which is the Admirals Club. You can access on a day pass or buy a membership for 30 days or a year, feasibility kind of depends on how many you have traveling with you. You said we so I assume it's at least two people in which case the $99 30-day membership is a slightly better deal as you can bring in two guests free of charge as opposed to paying $50 per person for a day pass. If you have 3 people then its for sure the better way to go.

The Admirals Club has two shower rooms which are decently nice, very clean, and pleasant between flights. Not much in the way of complimentary food or beverage options however there is a for purchase food menu and some decent alcoholic drinks available for purchase. There's also a few complimentary beer, wine, and liquor options if you're feeling daring (VX will have much better drinks onboard anyway). Seating is decent enough and should be pretty easy to find at that time of day.

If you have an American Express card there's always the Centurion Lounge in T3 (inside security), however you will have to exit T3 and reclear security at T2 to get to your flight.

That's all the other options I can really think of.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: virgin flying club silver
Thank very much cmd, extremely helpful, really appreciate the sound advice. Thank you.

This forum is a goldmine of information given by kind and experienced people. Here's to happy and frequent luxury travel to all x

Last edited by aBroadAbroad; Jan 18, 2015 at 6:50 pm Reason: Removed reference to now-deleted post
Old Jan 18, 2015, 6:58 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by chiltz
Welcome to FlyerTalk… I've modified your title to make it clearer what you need. Also, questions pertaining to specific airports are generally posted in the destination forums; in this case, you will see that your post has been moved to the dedicated San Francisco forum where it will hopefully receive better feedback.

Good luck, and safe travels!

Moderator, Information Desk
Old Jan 19, 2015, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
SFO T-2 is a lovely and not particularly large terminal, with very nice eat and drink options. Your money is well-spent lounging in one or more of those establishments. Much more well-spent than passes for the AA lounge. However, what wouldn't hurt to ask is showing your BA BP at the AA lounge to see if they'll let you in as an arriving BA J (Oneworld) pax. I don't know the OW rules, and they probably don't have to let you in, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 10:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper

Check out that relatively new option for Amex Plat cardholders: Virgin Atlantic lounge in International-A!

This is a really nice lounge, with excellent food and drink options.
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 10:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by dhuey
Check out that relatively new option for Amex Plat cardholders: Virgin Atlantic lounge in International-A!

This is a really nice lounge, with excellent food and drink options.
It's been at least since last September that AmEx Plats have had access. Noticed it was posted on the sign at the entrance while using the Intl A/T1 airside walkway.

Haven't been able to try it out yet though. Is there access on arrival?
Old Feb 23, 2022, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by econ
Haven't been able to try it out yet though. Is there access on arrival?
I'm not at all sure, but my guess is yes. The SFO Centurion Lounge eventually restricted access to departures, but in my experience lounges generally allow arrivals access. There's nothing to the contrary on the Amex website:

Old Feb 25, 2022, 5:57 pm

RE: Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse

Oh! Fabulous news and I'm going to try it the very next chance I get. This is great for me since I suspect I probably fly F9 more than anyone in the SF Bay Area.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 6:58 am

New Priority Pass option at SFO: British Airways lounge in International-A. It’s only from 5:00 to 11:30 am, though. (It’d get way too crowded to add PP visitors to the already big crowds for BA’s two flights later in the day.) Note that International-A and Terminal 1-B (Harvey Milk) are connected airside, so this BA lounge works well prior to a morning flight on American, JetBlue or Southwest.

I hope someone here pops in for breakfast and reports back.

ETA: Reminder that the Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse is also open from 2 to 10 pm for American Express Platinum cardholders.

Last edited by dhuey; Jun 30, 2022 at 7:26 am
Old Jun 30, 2022, 10:08 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
There is a specific thread for SFO Priority Pass discussions - San Francisco (SFO) - Priority Pass lounges and options

The BA lounge has already been mentioned over there, but to summarize, this appears to be the same thing BA does at IAD - opening their lounge for Priority Pass customers during hours when it would otherwise be closed. The level of service provided (at least in IAD) is significantly lower than during the hours it's open for BA customers. Still good to have another option, but I wouldn't be setting expectations all that high based on my experience at IAD.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by docbert
There is a specific thread for SFO Priority Pass discussions - San Francisco (SFO) - Priority Pass lounges and options
Thanks, I didn't see that. I think it's generally best to streamline discussions into a single thread, but I would imagine a lot of visitors to this San Francisco forum don't check the Airport Lounge forum for updates on SFO lounges. There's some value in keeping the SFO lounge basics current in this forum, even if there's discussion of the lounges elsewhere. As it happens, I learned of the new SFO BA lounge access for Priority Pass in the AA forum.
squeakr likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
New Priority Pass option at SFO: British Airways lounge in International-A. It’s only from 5:00 to 11:30 am, though. (It’d get way too crowded to add PP visitors to the already big crowds for BA’s two flights later in the day.) Note that International-A and Terminal 1-B (Harvey Milk) are connected airside, so this BA lounge works well prior to a morning flight on American, JetBlue or Southwest.

I hope someone here pops in for breakfast and reports back.

ETA: Reminder that the Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse is also open from 2 to 10 pm for American Express Platinum cardholders.
Do these time restrictions apply just to entry hours, or is there a mass unlawful detainer (eviction) proceeding which occurs at 11:30?
Old Jun 30, 2022, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Do these time restrictions apply just to entry hours, or is there a mass unlawful detainer (eviction) proceeding which occurs at 11:30?
The BA site has the lounge opening at 1:30 pm, which aligns with the 4:35 pm departure (first of two). I would imagine at 11:15 am or so, someone with an English accent roams around the lounge, yelling....

Closing time, mates! You don't have to go home, but you can't stay here. Do finish up, please.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I would imagine at 11:15 am or so, someone with an English accent roams around the lounge, yelling....
This is exactly what they do in IAD, so I'm sure it'll be the same at SFO.
squeakr likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.