Wiki Posts
Search

SFO - Both N/S Runways to close May 17-mid Sept

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2014, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
SFO - Both N/S Runways to close May 17-mid Sept

SFO will close runways 1L/19R and 1R/19L beginning Sunday, May 17 through the entire summer until mid September. That means all departure traffic will need to use runways 28L and 28R, along with all of the arrival traffic. I cannot believe it.

http://thebat-sf.com/2014/03/20/runw...Traveler%29%29
Old Mar 21, 2014, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by JerryFF
I cannot believe it.
Believe it!

Anyone who has an onward connecting flight would be well-served taking the first available AM flight out of SFO.

This might have just guaranteed that I'll be taking WN (OAK) to get to LAX for onward connecting flights.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 10:24 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
This is gonna be phugly tho it will be fun if the weather "cooperates" and you end up doing the approach and landing on the 10's
Old Mar 21, 2014, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Hertz Pres
Who's the genius(es) that decided to pick the peak travel months? (I'm aware the weather is probably better during this period...but not really if you include summer fog)
Old Mar 22, 2014, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Plt
Isn't the fog worse in July and August especially?
Old Mar 23, 2014, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by frontrangeFF
Isn't the fog worse in July and August especially?
Fog will *hopefully* be less of an issue now that they are allowed to parallel ops during fog. There is still an impact to the number of flights allowed, but it's better than it used to be with no parallel ops at all.

But yeah, it's not going to be pretty. I'll certainly be trying to use SJC more during that period...
Old Mar 25, 2014, 5:59 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Parallel landing - heavies - on 28 L & R? ...Oh, fun.

We'll surely have the neighborhoods on our side for getting this thing done in quick-step.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Firewind

We'll surely have the neighborhoods on our side for getting this thing done in quick-step.
The 28s already handle all the landings in typical conditions.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 6:37 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
What are the peak periods at SFO? How does 6pm arrival and 8pm departure on a weekday sound?
Old Mar 25, 2014, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sabbasolo
What are the peak periods at SFO? How does 6pm arrival and 8pm departure on a weekday sound?
The issue here is more about where you're coming from and where you're going. The long-haul heavy jets are the ones most likely to be on time. The regional (i.e., west coast and surrounds) flights are the ones that suffer most, and those planes may pass through SFO at least twice during a day.

8 PM shouldn't be a particularly crowded departure hour.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 9:07 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Perfect, I'm going from MRY to SYD on May 17 with 1h 8m connection and 1h 5m on the June 3 return.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 11:18 am

Programs: United Platinum,1M miler; Alaska OneWorld Sapphire
Landing on the 28s?

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
The 28s already handle all the landings in typical conditions.
I often fly on regional jets into SFO, and we virtually always land on the 1s. I would guess it is more than a year since I've landed on the 28s.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by tdietterich
I often fly on regional jets into SFO, and we virtually always land on the 1s. I would guess it is more than a year since I've landed on the 28s.
It is extremely rare for planes to land on 1L/R. There's a few very specific weather conditions that can lead to it, and even then they try and avoid it.

There's a good diagram showing the normal takeoff/landing paths at http://thebat-sf.com/wp-content/uplo...FOPlanWest.jpg and another showing those used in bad weather (storms, not fog) at http://thebat-sf.com/wp-content/uplo...thEastPlan.jpg

Neither of these shows landings on 1L/R.

SFO also has a "live" flight tracker that also allows you to pull up historic data at http://www.flysfo.com/community-envi...light-tracking I'd suggest looking up your flights and you'll probably find that you didn't actually come in on 1L/R.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen (it does - I've seen it!), but it's extremely rare, and i say that as someone that used to live within a few miles of the airport and knew exactly when 1 was being used for landings!

Originally Posted by Firewind

I think you're confused about which runway is which - which is very common at SFO for some reason!

The two long parallel runways are 28L/R (and 10L/R, but it's rare for those to be used). The two shorter runways are 1L/R (and 19L/R, again, rarely used).

Heavies do parallel approaches on 28L/R almost every day of the year, and usually use the same two runways for takeoff.

I think what gets people confused is that when you're landing on 28L/R it pretty much feels like you're headed North, and when taking off from 1L/R it feels like you're headed east, due to the layout of the bay. I've had countless people tell me the long runways run north/south (and thus are 1/19) - but once you show them a map they realize they are wrong!

The impact of the construction isn't going to be (directly) on landings, as 1/19 are rarely used for landings, but instead of take-offs which will have to use 28L/R instead of 1L/R - and obviously that will then have a flow-on effect for landings on those runways.

Last edited by docbert; Mar 25, 2014 at 12:43 pm
Old Mar 25, 2014, 5:43 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
I did have it backwards. Thank you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mv7_lzFKCSM
Old Mar 25, 2014, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA, OW
Smile SFO closure

Thanks FlyerTalk for posting this warning about the SFO closure. Just after this came out, I found out my sister & family were confirming their flights over to visit me in Fiji via SFO during the closure and they didn't know about it. I quickly notified her so she could change their ticketing to San Jose and not miss their overseas connection. Vinaka vaka levu FlyerTalk! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.