Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > San Francisco
Reload this Page >

which side to sit for views of SF (East coast flights)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

which side to sit for views of SF (East coast flights)

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2022, 10:56 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by misterfuss
We had an amazing view of San Francisco after taking off from SFO to CDG on 16APR22. I believe we took off from runway 28R and we were on the RIGHT side of the aircraft.
Looks like you did the straight out takeoff where you cut across the peninsula just south of the city, go out over the ocean a little bit, then turn right to fly back toward the east. It's breathtaking on a clear day!
nnn likes this.
Old May 5, 2022, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
Looks like you did the straight out takeoff where you cut across the peninsula just south of the city, go out over the ocean a little bit, then turn right to fly back toward the east. It's breathtaking on a clear day!
Yup. Ticks me off when people get on the plane and slam the window shades shut.
Old May 6, 2022, 11:55 am
R
formerly PrePress420

From SFO to AMS, I like to get a right side window seat taking off from 28r so I can take pictures of San Francisco as it Banks to the right. However a left side seat is nice when taking the polar route because you get a good look at the Northern lights, also known as the dancing curtain, so it's a bit of a trade-off. On the return from AMS, I like the right side so I can see the North Pole as it were. Also the sun is not in my eyes from the southern view of the left side of the plane.
nnn and lhrsfo like this.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by R
From SFO to AMS, I like to get a right side window seat taking off from 28r so I can take pictures of San Francisco as it Banks to the right. However a left side seat is nice when taking the polar route because you get a good look at the Northern lights, also known as the dancing curtain, so it's a bit of a trade-off. On the return from AMS, I like the right side so I can see the North Pole as it were. Also the sun is not in my eyes from the southern view of the left side of the plane.
The same considerations obviously from SFO to LHR, plus the added advantage of right side is (4 times in 5) a stunning view of central London on landing.

But I disagree on the approach to SFO from Europe. You want to be on the left. First, you lose the sun once past Hudson Bay as the plane starts to head south. Second, the approach is usually past Point Reyes and then turns and flies to the right of the Bridge which affords stunning views of the Bridge and the City. Often it then continues down the coast with a turn around the Campanile at Stanford.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.