Reload this Page >

French Laundry Dinner (Lots of Pics)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

French Laundry Dinner (Lots of Pics)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2011, 1:33 am

Good review, couldn't help but notice that the plates were exponentially bigger than the portions!
Old Dec 28, 2011, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by malgudi
Good review, couldn't help but notice that the plates were exponentially bigger than the portions!
Portion size is definitely not an issue given the volume of food. I was so full by the end of the meal that I felt sick to my stomach. And I did not clean my plate for each course.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Agree

Agree. Lots of food. Don't make the mistake of eating too much bread in the beginning, thinking that there will not be enough food. U won't be able to finish the good stuff if you eat too much bread.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA Silv, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold,
Originally Posted by SFflyer123
Don't make the mistake of eating too much bread in the beginning, thinking that there will not be enough food. U won't be able to finish the good stuff if you eat too much bread.
My wife keeps telling me that and I keep proving her wrong. Of course the bathroom scale gets the last laugh...
Old Dec 29, 2011, 3:46 pm

Smile Enjoy great meals twice

Ask for a "Doggie Bag" Also helps with over-eating.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 3:54 am

Programs: BA Gold,, Marriott Plat
Great review! Will have to check it out on the next visit thru Napa.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 7:26 am

I'm drooling on my keyboaldskkjlj'lshdkjh;klf;kj'lknjgjvkjbkkj
Old Jan 6, 2012, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
But the 3 star restaurants were mainly based upon the experience, not really the food. The luxurious chairs, decadent settings, luxurious table cloths, fancy tables, fancy room, after dinner drinks and petit fours in the 'sitting room' instead of at the table, fresh flowers that probably cost a fortune, etc. These were the things that made it a 3 star vs 2. I think the food of a Michelin 3 star, however, really was not that much better than a 2 star. Personally, I think FL would be a 2.5 star (not possible, I know) if it were in France. FL's food is 3-star, but the experience is not luxurious enough to be a full 3 star. But I certainly do not think that French Michelin stars are 'far greater' than FL, in my opinion; FL easily is on par with many of these places (whether it's worth the money or not is a whole other issue).
As I understand the Michelin ratings, one of the primary differences between 3* and 2* is reliability, rather than luxury. A 2* restaurant with food every bit as good as that at a 3* restaurant might receive the lower accolade because there is the occasional less-than-excellent dish, or even less-than-excellent day. Such is not acceptable in a 3* restaurant.

Luxury in Michelin restaurant ratings is denoted by crossed knives and forks, with the most luxurious restaurants receiving 5 - although, there is a cross-over in that the top restaurants must have a minimum degree of luxury. So, for example, Ubuntu could probably never achieve 2* with its current set-up. But the FL could...
Old Jan 7, 2012, 1:59 pm

3 vs 2

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
As I understand the Michelin ratings, one of the primary differences between 3* and 2* is reliability, rather than luxury. A 2* restaurant with food every bit as good as that at a 3* restaurant might receive the lower accolade because there is the occasional less-than-excellent dish, or even less-than-excellent day. Such is not acceptable in a 3* restaurant.

Luxury in Michelin restaurant ratings is denoted by crossed knives and forks, with the most luxurious restaurants receiving 5 - although, there is a cross-over in that the top restaurants must have a minimum degree of luxury. So, for example, Ubuntu could probably never achieve 2* with its current set-up. But the FL could...
I am certainly no expert on the Michelin rating, but of the ones that I have been to, luxury was the main difference that I noted. I assume that you're correct about the 3* criterion: reliability is critical. But I have eaten at some 2*'s and the food has actually been better than some 3*. But the 3*'s have the foot stool for the purse, the fresh expensive flowers, multiple rounds of linens, etc. But I am by no means an expert; this is only my observation.

Based upon my limited experience, I would say that FL is not the "most luxurious" experience. I think Fleur de Lys, Dining Room at Ritz Carlton SF, and even Masa's have a much more "luxurious" and opulent feel than FL.

I agree about the crossed knives & forks. I have seen some with 5 of these symbols and no Michelin stars at all.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Perhaps that explains one of the things that I think is a problem with TFL: the menu has remained largely the same for several years. I wonder if the consistency issue leads 3* places to avoid trying too many new things to avoid risking the loss of a star. If that's what is actually going on, I may end up preferring 1 and 2* places over the 3*.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 6:55 pm

Programs: Platinum Zirconium in Life, aeroplan, FB, Avios, IHG
YUM! Nice pictures..any trouble taking them?
Old Jan 8, 2012, 2:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
I'm glad you enjoyed it, OP, but had I been there, I'd have been thinking to myself at these prices, I could have about 10 dinners at my favorite Thai, Vietnamese and Mexican restaurants, and I'd enjoy each such dinner more than this one. Looks like the French Laundry can do without my patronage, though.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 2:20 pm

What if you don't want ethnic food, t hough?

Originally Posted by dhuey
I'm glad you enjoyed it, OP, but had I been there, I'd have been thinking to myself at these prices, I could have about 10 dinners at my favorite Thai, Vietnamese and Mexican restaurants, and I'd enjoy each such dinner more than this one. Looks like the French Laundry can do without my patronage, though.
I think that if you don't want ethnic food, though, these options would not be good for the person who wants to eat. A similar analogy could be made to a Mercedes S class and motorcycles. You could save so much more money by riding a motorcycle, but some people just want the S class ($90,000). Similarly, if someone wanted to eat well, pad thai or chile rienos just don't cut it relative to FL.

However, I agree with you that even if you wanted non-ethnic food, you could eat very well for much less. Just going to a relatively simple place such as Cafe des Amis, Chez papa, or Chapeau would get you a very nice french meal at 1/5 the price of FL.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 2:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Just going to a relatively simple place such as Cafe des Amis, Chez papa, or Chapeau would get you a very nice french meal at 1/5 the price of FL.
In places like New York City, Chicago and here in the S.F. Bay Area, there is an abundance of insanely great restaurants. I get how someone would want to experience first-hand a famous restaurant like French Laundry, Chez Panisse, etc., but if your first choice is booked up, just look around and you'll easily find an outstanding alternative.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dhuey
In places like New York City, Chicago and here in the S.F. Bay Area, there is an abundance of insanely great restaurants. I get how someone would want to experience first-hand a famous restaurant like French Laundry, Chez Panisse, etc., but if your first choice is booked up, just look around and you'll easily find an outstanding alternative.
They are just different experiences. The Bay Area has countless outstanding restaurants that prepare more traditional dishes. You don't go to TFL or any of the other tasting enu places for a steak, pho, or tacos pastor. You go to try dishes that you have never had before and would never think to make on your own.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.