Wiki Posts
Search

Silicon Valley for one quick night... advice please

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2011, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Not to sound tooo picky... but Im trying to keep hotels to Starwood as much as I can.... any ideas in that chain of hotels..?
There's a Westin (closest hotel to the airport - they probably have a car rental desk) and the Four Points (north of the airport, don't let the South Airport Blvd. address confuse you). The Four Points is alright - I've stayed there many times.

Good catch on the car rental desks at the hotels - I hadn't thought of that. And congrats on flying LAN out of the best international departure terminal in the USA. It is really a beautiful space, if you've never been there.

Transport options between SJC and SFO are really not convenient, and are only going to cause pain in your poto.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 7:36 pm

Programs: DL Plat,AA Plat,UA 1Peon,SW(WN) Passing Grade
Not to sound tooo picky... but Im trying to keep hotels to Starwood as much as I can.... any ideas in that chain of hotels..?
There's a Westin across from Marriott on Old Bayshore Rd adjacent to SFO (but I find the Westin fairly mediocre..... when me and colleagues must stay there for meetings, we walk across street to Marriott for restaurant).....Don't think you have to be a Marriott guest to return Hertz car there....but check with Hertz......

Picking up rental car at SFO and returning it at SJC is easily reserved, but check on any drop-off or mileage fees. Various discount (Auto Club) or corporate codes may allow a no-extra-fees drop at SJC.

Airfare for leaving-from-SJC, but returning-to-SFO should not be much extra fare, since major California airport fares are so competitive.....so it's worth checking on AA from SJC. From what everyone says, staying the first night at SJC seems ideal......

-----
Off-topic: We've been enjoying the Root:1 ungrafted Carmenere, although it's from Chile, among the limited wine selections in OKC!
Old Aug 31, 2011, 7:37 pm

I had thought of this... but have the following additional considerations. My South America to US long haul flies in & out of SFO. I wonder if its feasible for me to start my US domestic leg from California to Houston from SJC.... but then, I would have to do the return leg to SFO as a final else I would need to transit back from SJC to SFO to catch my LAN flight back to EZE... what are the transport options from SJC to SFO that are not a rental car and how long does that take...???
CalTrain has a shuttle from SJC, train to Millbrae, BART to airport. Not sure about the time.

http://www.caltrain.com/stations/mil...sitcenter.html
Old Sep 1, 2011, 6:02 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Thanks again to all that have provided amazing information for this trip... will come back to report what I book as soon as I have my plans finalized.

Gracias !!!! ^
Old Sep 1, 2011, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by peersteve
-----
Off-topic: We've been enjoying the Root:1 ungrafted Carmenere, although it's from Chile, among the limited wine selections in OKC!
Not to hijack the thread - but you could say "Because it's from Chile," not "although it's from Chile." No need to make excuses!
Old Sep 3, 2011, 9:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, AK Gold 75K, etc. etc.
I usually stay at the Sofitel in Redwood Shores. This would be about half the distance from either SFO or OAK and the airport. Nice beds, good coffee and croissants available. Agree with the others that you should rent a car. Take highway 280 (via highway 92 from 101) for a scenic drive along the coastal mountains to get to the Los Altos hills.
Old Sep 3, 2011, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by mikel51
Take highway 280 (via highway 92 from 101) for a scenic drive along the coastal mountains to get to the Los Altos hills.
Just to clarify, Hwy 280 will get you nowhere near the coast, you will be in the inland foothills of the coastal range when on 280. Make sure you don't miss the interchange from 92 to 280, because 92 doesn't offer many places to turn around.
Old Sep 3, 2011, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Thanks for the routing advice.... I will rent a car and have a GPS... to take the scenic route, perhaps I need to force it to select less freeways...?
Old Sep 3, 2011, 5:46 pm

Thanks for the routing advice.... I will rent a car and have a GPS... to take the scenic route, perhaps I need to force it to select less freeways...?
Unless you have an extra 5 or 6 hours, Hwy280 is the only practical and scenic route. Enter your Los Altos Hills destination in the GPS, and it just may route you that way. If not, as you depart the airport, head NORTH to Hwy 380 WEST, then take exit 5B to Hwy 280 south, and that will have you on the scenic way to LAH.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 3:34 am
Original Poster

Thanks again to all for your input... Ive booked myself into a hotel in SFO and will operate out of this location.... will report back once my trip is completed.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Had a great drive to LAH... no traffic and the GPS came in super handy.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Out of curiosity, were you able to have a decent meal during your trip?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.