Wiki Posts
Search

San Francisco selected to host America's Cup

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2011, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
Are there any estimates on how many people the event will bring into the city?
The Economic Impact Report.

Hotels. As of October 2009, there were 32,976 hotel rooms available in San Francisco. During the likely months of the America's Cup, June through September, occupancy rates in the city are at their very highest. Between 2005 and 2009, occupancy rates averaged roughly 85%. This implies the availability of some 4,800 rooms for America's Cup spectators. Using typical room occupancy data of 1.77 individuals per room, this suggests the availability of hotel lodging for roughly 8,500 spectators on any given night during the America's Cup. Over the course of three months, assuming full occupancy, this suggests that at an average room rate of $180, the hotel industry could potentially receive an addition to normal revenues of up to $77.8 million. This calculation appears to provide an upper bound on the addition to revenues as it assumes that all hotel rooms would be occupied. However, it is frequently the case that room rates increase significantly during major events in the city. During periods of peak occupancy, such as special events, hotels are often able to command rates that are significantly higher than during less busy times of the year. Although the extent to which rates may increase is uncertain, the calculation above nonetheless provides an indication of the type of benefit that local hotels stand to gain. It should be noted that if the America's Cup were to run for three months, this would imply the accommodation of an additional 764,848 visitor days. The number of additional visitor days in Valencia in 2007 was significantly more than this, suggesting that hotels will likely have very high occupancy rates during the event and that the estimate above may not be too far off the mark. That the available hotel rooms may be insufficient to accommodate all of the potential Cup spectators suggests that many would be encouraged to find lodging outside of the city or in private homes or residences. Both are quite probable, with hotels and inns in the North, East, and South Bay all likely benefiting from the influx of spectators.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 9:47 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
And now it starts.....

Waterfront tenants sent/to be sent eviction notices "to make room" aka the land is too valuable.....

Eviction memos sent out ahead of America's Cup

America’s Cup will force evictions of waterfront businesses
Old Jan 18, 2011, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by goalie
And now it starts.....

Waterfront tenants sent/to be sent eviction notices "to make room" aka the land is too valuable.....

Eviction memos sent out ahead of America's Cup

America’s Cup will force evictions of waterfront businesses
They were all on month-to-month leases because those properties are badly deteriorated. When was the last time you walked the waterfront? Those piers are being used for pedicab and limousine storage. Teatro Zinzanni would be the biggest loss, but the owner was one of the most vociferous supporters of the AC. The warehouses will become publicly accessible waterfront instead of the industrial wasteland they are today. ^

This is a big win for San Francisco and San Franciscans deserve a world-class waterfront. Not the low-rent district it is today.

Believe me, I'm no Ellison fan, but did AC33 damage Valencia? They wanted to host AC34. . .

Last edited by birdstrike; Jan 18, 2011 at 10:21 pm
Old Jan 19, 2011, 8:41 am

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by birdstrike
They were all on month-to-month leases because those properties are badly deteriorated. When was the last time you walked the waterfront? Those piers are being used for pedicab and limousine storage. Teatro Zinzanni would be the biggest loss, but the owner was one of the most vociferous supporters of the AC. The warehouses will become publicly accessible waterfront instead of the industrial wasteland they are today. ^

This is a big win for San Francisco and San Franciscans deserve a world-class waterfront. Not the low-rent district it is today.

Believe me, I'm no Ellison fan, but did AC33 damage Valencia? They wanted to host AC34. . .
Bolding mine: This past weekend . Now granted, the waterfront is in need of a facelift (and a big facelift at that) but imho, kicking out the tenants, refurbishing/renovating just so "the haves can have" ain't the way to do it. This is simply gonna be an event for those that can afford it* and no one else. But like I said, just mho.

*and we know who those folks are
Old Jan 19, 2011, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by goalie
Bolding mine: This past weekend . Now granted, the waterfront is in need of a facelift (and a big facelift at that) but imho, kicking out the tenants, refurbishing/renovating just so "the haves can have" ain't the way to do it. This is simply gonna be an event for those that can afford it* and no one else. But like I said, just mho.
Got me.

However, as opposed to Major League Baseball, Football, Formula One?

I'm perfectly happy to have billionaires finance a spectacular event that I can watch for free.

Personally, I've never been happy that Bauer and the other waterfront tenants have been given cheap rent on property that should be available for everyone to enjoy. Anything that shakes up that status-quo is fine with me. Fishing boats, Crabbers, Bay Delta Maritime, Ferrys, all fine by me,. but bulk storage, really?

I reserve the right to become upset with Ellison, Inc. if they don't preserve said access after the AC moves on.

Edit to say, perhaps SF could have made us all happy by bulldozing Pier 39 into the Bay and giving it to the AC for free.

Last edited by birdstrike; Jan 19, 2011 at 10:41 pm
Old Jan 20, 2011, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by birdstrike
Got me.

However, as opposed to Major League Baseball, Football, Formula One?

I'm perfectly happy to have billionaires finance a spectacular event that I can watch for free.

Personally, I've never been happy that Bauer and the other waterfront tenants have been given cheap rent on property that should be available for everyone to enjoy. Anything that shakes up that status-quo is fine with me. Fishing boats, Crabbers, Bay Delta Maritime, Ferrys, all fine by me,. but bulk storage, really?

I reserve the right to become upset with Ellison, Inc. if they don't preserve said access after the AC moves on.

Edit to say, perhaps SF could have made us all happy by bulldozing Pier 39 into the Bay and giving it to the AC for free.
A fair argument but.....Bolding mine: that is my big fear as if it doesn't, imho, the only thing that will be guaranteed are the lawsuits and the large costs involved. Now as to "reserving the right to become upset with Ellsion", I'll see your reserve and raise it with and "I've been upset with him for a long time"
Old Jan 20, 2011, 11:37 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
thanks for keeping the argument non personal

I'm happy to let the pro and anti Larry folks make their points - and appreciate you all keeping it to the issues.

thanks

squeakr

mod SFO
Old Jan 20, 2011, 12:20 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by tom911
Pretty impressive photo. Can they work around commute ferries if they have this event in the Bay on a weekday? I guess commercial shipping can just be held outside the Golden Gate as needed, but what do you do with all the ferries?
There's apparently a provision that the cup will have exclusive use of the bay from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., but Latitude 38 (Bay Area sailing magazine) got the idea in interviews with the chair that the bay won't be off limits for the full 8 hours and that the off-limits area would likely just be racing areas and a security zone. The race period is about 45 days.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by squeakr
I'm happy to let the pro and anti Larry folks make their points - and appreciate you all keeping it to the issues.
As long as we're all careful not to conflate being pro-SFAC with being Pro-Larry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.