Wiki Posts
Search

New SJC terminals are nice!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2010, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, WN A-List, AA Exec Plat, National Emerald
New SJC terminals are nice!

I'm at SJC now for a SJC->LAX flight (WN) and, I have to say, the new terminal at the Norman Mineta Memorial Airport is pretty nice! Every seat in the gate waiting area has power, both 110V and USB. And there's free WiFi.

It almost makes me forget that there's no club for WN flyers.

(SJC doesn't have a club for UA RCC, which is the only club I'm a member of. And I hear they're closing the American club....)
Old Jul 26, 2010, 7:13 am

Programs: AA lifetime gold, Marrriott Platinum
I just passed through for the first time and noticed how nice the terminal is. Also, how few people were in it at about 8 PM on a Sunday. I would much prefer SJC to SFO to get almost anywhere in Silicon Valley, but for some reason the airport seems to be very underutilized.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cmcc
I just passed through for the first time and noticed how nice the terminal is. Also, how few people were in it at about 8 PM on a Sunday. I would much prefer SJC to SFO to get almost anywhere in Silicon Valley, but for some reason the airport seems to be very underutilized.
They do have the X-Ray nude-o-scopes here on nearly every checkpoint (instead of the probably safer millimeter wave), but for some reason they opted to run a girl through it instead of fat, bald me! Sometimes it pays to be fat and bald.

Here's what the seat power looks like:
Old Jul 26, 2010, 7:29 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Also see discussion in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/san-f...27-2010-a.html
Old Jul 26, 2010, 8:52 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the California Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Jul 26, 2010, 9:02 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think it's not quite the Norman Mineta "Memorial" airport, at least not yet!

I did get a letter from AA announcing they were closing the SJC Admirables Club, so I guess it's official.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 11:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I think it's not quite the Norman Mineta "Memorial" airport, at least not yet!
I was wondering when someone would call me on that! :-)

IMHO it's a bad idea to name something after a living person. What if there's a scandal and his name gets tarnished?
Old Oct 4, 2010, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Ah! I found a flaw!

I'm at the Norm Mineta Memorial San Jose airport today (10/4) and I'm surprised to see that there's no SHOE SHINE in the new terminal B.

It's not that there's nobody on duty. There just isn't a shoe shine station at all.

So if you are destinating in SJC and have an important meeting / funeral / function to attend, don't count on having your shoes shined!

(And, the TSAs didn't make me put my shoes on the belt. They let me keep them in the bin. Thank G-d for small miracles.)
Old Oct 4, 2010, 10:15 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Originally Posted by reamworks
I was wondering when someone would call me on that! :-)

IMHO it's a bad idea to name something after a living person. What if there's a scandal and his name gets tarnished?
Actually, I've had just the opposite thought. What good does it do someone to honor them after they have died? What pleasure do they get from that? I think we should spend more effort honoring people when they can appreciate the good thoughts.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JerryFF
Actually, I've had just the opposite thought. What good does it do someone to honor them after they have died? What pleasure do they get from that? I think we should spend more effort honoring people when they can appreciate the good thoughts.
It avoids the problem of having to rename if if there's a scandal.

(BTW: By all accounts, Norm Mineta is a very good person.)
Old Oct 14, 2010, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by reamworks
It avoids the problem of having to rename if if there's a scandal.

(BTW: By all accounts, Norm Mineta is a very good person.)
Ted Stevens Airport in Anchorage was not renamed after he was found guilty (and later cleared). The Tom Bradley Terminal at LAX was named after a rather scandal-plauged mayor, but I believe the name was applied after he died, so it's not like the scandal came out afterwards.

Although he was famed, rightly or wrongly, for being against government spending and federal dictates overrding local desires, Ronald Reagan's name was added to Washington National Airport, against the wishes of local authorities. It always struck me as strange that Congressman wanted to name at least one government building in every U.S. county after RR.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA Premier, SWA Rapid Rewards, Alaska Air Mileage Plan, AAdvantage, CX Marco Polo
Originally Posted by skoenig
Ted Stevens Airport in Anchorage was not renamed after he was found guilty (and later cleared). The Tom Bradley Terminal at LAX was named after a rather scandal-plauged mayor, but I believe the name was applied after he died, so it's not like the scandal came out afterwards.

Although he was famed, rightly or wrongly, for being against government spending and federal dictates overrding local desires, Ronald Reagan's name was added to Washington National Airport, against the wishes of local authorities. It always struck me as strange that Congressman wanted to name at least one government building in every U.S. county after RR.
I think the TBIT was named for Bradley while he was still mayor and alive. Remember, he pushed for the expansion of the airport for the 1894 Olympic games. I'm not really aware of any major scandals that involved him, although the poor reputation of the international terminal at LAX unfortunately tarnishes his name, rather than the other way around.

The Ronald Reagan naming trend came with the 1994 GOP victory in Congress, when they had enough votes to push them through. It's kind of funny that many of today's Republican politicians who love to wrap themselves in the aura of Reagan would probably oppose a lot of the policies RR actually did (he was actually more moderate than his rhetoric bore out).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.