Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > S.P.A.M.
Reload this Page >

Chance to test a med for jet-lag, travel free to France & get paid up to $2,500

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chance to test a med for jet-lag, travel free to France & get paid up to $2,500

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2008, 10:11 am

Programs: DL DM UA AA Hilton Starwood
Originally Posted by mvoight
I would bet you have to pay your own expenses to / from NYC.
All costs from other cities to NYC are paid for as part of the study.
Just talked to a person there and confirmed that.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 12:32 am

Programs: Credit Cards
Originally Posted by madstop
Maybe they only go into details with people that qualify.
They must be getting a ton of responses because its been days since I signed up on the site and still no call...
Old Oct 26, 2008, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA gold, UA Premier, HH Gold, *wood gold, PC gold
Originally Posted by henwood
All costs from other cities to NYC are paid for as part of the study.
Just talked to a person there and confirmed that.
Uh oh.... I was told they weren't.

This also was from someone associated with the study.

Can anyone else chime in who has spoken with someone over there?
Old Oct 26, 2008, 4:43 pm

Programs: BA, DL, HA, etc
Originally Posted by madstop
For instance, I asked what I would be doing all day in the study center and the response was "oh, they have things for you to do".

Things like the "Blood Drawing Race" which tries to determine who may have the thinnest blood...

"Needlepoint" and no, it does not involve yarn or sewing...

"Cooking with Bed Pans" demonstration, etc

---

Years ago I signed up to test a new revolutionary drug which would probably be passed by the FDA for external use, because it was already used internally. A blood pressure medicine which had the side effect of growing hair. The medicine was of course "Monoxidil". I was not accepted because my hair (what was left) was too light in color and too thin. Blond hair is like that.

However, I did buy lots of stock in Upjohn and sold it just before FDA approval. I tripled my money in 9 months.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 10:09 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
One thing that's kind of weird: how much jet lag would you get sitting around in a hospital/testing center? I feel like if you're just staying inside, you wouldn't exhibit the normal effects of jet lag.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 1:19 am

Programs: UA 1K 3MM, AA Plat, F9 Elite, the later two thanks to Jeff $, HHdia, Mgold, WynDia, Choicepl, IHGDia
Lady I spoke with on phone said I'd have to pay my ticket to NY myself. I said fine. Still no reply after phone interview.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 1:34 am

Programs: Skyclub lifetime, Priority Pass, HH Gold.
I completed the study already earlier this month. We flew on a private jet with 12 people. Food was good on the plane, but not so good in the facility. We flew in and out of Basel, which is at the border of France and Swiss. It definitely got annoying spending a lot of time with wires connected to our heads for 3 days, but our group was very cool and we had a good time laughing about it. Anyway, best of luck guys getting on it! I'm sure they won't have any shortage of people with all the advertising they are doing about it here in New York.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 11:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by essxjay
Hell, $2500 for a week of my time after finals sound like decent pay to me. ^^^
I would advise anyone considering this to rethink it. Companies testing drugs don't do it for the benefit of the person undergoing the test; they do it for their own profit. They state that the $2.5k is not intended as an inducement, but is anyone here actually thinking of doing this for altruistic reasons?

Note that their website states: "As with all medication, subjects may experience adverse events (AE's), which are untoward events associated with the drugs being tested. However, common AE's associated with an investigational medication may or may not be known at the time of the subject's participation in a clinical trial."

That means: you might get very sick from this procedure/test and they can't predict what might happen.

Make sure you know what this company proposes to do if that happens. Will they charge your insurers? Will they make you pay yourself for any treatment you need to counteract any adverse effects? What would your insurance company say if they were approached by you or this company seeking to claim costs for treating the adverse effects that you suffered, given that you entered this trial voluntarily to test an elective and non-essential drug?

Read this news report about a past drug trial gone bad and then think about it...

Last edited by salut0; Oct 27, 2008 at 11:28 am
Old Oct 27, 2008, 11:59 pm

Programs: HA Gold, Wn CP, US Silver, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres Circle*, HH silver,
Thumbs down My phone interview

I registered online and got a call back the next day. I "passed" the questions, but when we got to the part concerning transportation to and from NY, they lost me.

You get yourself to NY, spend 4-5 hrs getting testing and getting a physical. Then, you return 7 weeks later for an overnight stay in NY, THEN return again to fly to France. So, I asked the operator..."I have to pay to get myself to NY 2 or 3 times?" And she said yes!

If you are close to NY it would be a great deal. (Other than the blood and medication, LOL). But not so great of you have to spend $$ to get there.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The NWA kid
I completed the study already earlier this month. We flew on a private jet with 12 people. Food was good on the plane, but not so good in the facility. We flew in and out of Basel, which is at the border of France and Swiss. It definitely got annoying spending a lot of time with wires connected to our heads for 3 days, but our group was very cool and we had a good time laughing about it. Anyway, best of luck guys getting on it! I'm sure they won't have any shortage of people with all the advertising they are doing about it here in New York.
How were your rooms at the facility? Did you get a private room with showers and stuff like a hotel room, or were you exposed in a big lab day and night?
Old Oct 28, 2008, 4:43 pm

Was looking for a way to payback for all my Ebay/Microsoft purchases that I wasn't really planning on purchasing ;-)
Old Oct 28, 2008, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by ChaseTheMiles
How were your rooms at the facility? Did you get a private room with showers and stuff like a hotel room, or were you exposed in a big lab day and night?

We all had our own private rooms with bathroom and shower. The bed comforters were thick and I might need to get one like that at home! Out the window I had a view of the rolling hills, vinyards, lots of flowers and 200 yr old houses, some huge and some small. Extremely picturesque. I had the window open a lot.

There were no blood draws the entire trip. Only at screening and at the return to New York.

The complimentary freshly baked cookies in Mcarther Islip private jet terminal were memorable. I must have eaten 10 of them!
Old Oct 28, 2008, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA Plat, TK Gold, *G
Dang! What kind of jet did you get?

VIP configuration or commercial airliner?
Old Oct 29, 2008, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by bsb21
Dang! What kind of jet did you get?

VIP configuration or commercial airliner?

It was a G4 with a vip configuration. The large seats could swivel and recline slightly. Unfortunately no miles!
Old Oct 29, 2008, 1:15 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, AA Plat, UA Silver, kettle everywhere else
Can you say what you did during the day? Were you allowed to bring books/laptops/etc to relax, and were you able to keep up a normal exercise routine, or were you busy with stuff all day?

I'm picturing a reality TV show like Big Brother where everyone is just bored.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.