Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > S.P.A.M.
Reload this Page >

Continental RewardOne question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2007, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Anyone familiar with the Continental RewardOne program for businesses:

My question is: does the redemption of the points generate a 1099 or similar tax form to the company?

I have enrolled in the program and would like to use the points for my own personal use but not, of course, if my company is going to be taxed as if it were income.

Thanks for any help!
Old Jul 27, 2007, 12:26 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by dherron
Anyone familiar with the Continental RewardOne program for businesses:

My question is: does the redemption of the points generate a 1099 or similar tax form to the company?

I have enrolled in the program and would like to use the points for my own personal use but not, of course, if my company is going to be taxed as if it were income.

Thanks for any help!
In my experience, redemptions have been treated just like frequent flier miles: no tax implications. I have not seen a 1099 form from RewardOne.
Old Jul 27, 2007, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for your reply! Do you have personal experience with RewardOne? If so, can you tell me if there are any "downsides" to joining?
Old Jul 27, 2007, 1:05 pm

Programs: Former DL Plat - 1 MM, CO Infinite Plat, MRT PLT
No downside whatsoever in my experience except figuring the best (or fairest) way to use the points. As it turns out we generate just enough to give all our travelers free PC memberships.
Old Jul 27, 2007, 2:22 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Same experience here. No downside that I've found! It's been nice to have a few extra perks for the company.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 10:07 am

Programs: SPG plat, Mar plat, Hyatt plat, Amtrak sel+, AA gold, Hilton gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Thanks for posting this! I didn't know the program existed - I am quite mad at myself for passing on extra points!

Does anyone know if there are similar programs for other airlines or hotels?
Old Jul 30, 2007, 11:07 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by 2cents

Does anyone know if there are similar programs for other airlines or hotels?
Yes. They include:
Delta Skybonus
Northwest BizPerks
British Airways Venture Club
KLM BlueBiz
American Airlines Business ExtrAA
United Airlines PerksPlus
Starwood Preferred Business
...and more
Old Jul 31, 2007, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Has anyone out there used RewardOne for their own personal travel? My company (or boss) doesn't even know this program exists. I just happened to run across it on Continental's site and signed up. Therefore, I'm thinking of keeping my mouth shut and using it for personal travel.

Thoughts?
Old Jul 31, 2007, 8:45 am

Programs: CO - Gold, Marriott- Gold, HH- Gold, Hyatt Diamond, miscellaneous nothing on many
Just did a search on the CO website. RewardsOne isn't a very clear program- when I searched a lot of CO Business Travel Manager program links came up. It doesn't look like Business Travel Manager gets you anything points-wise that you can't already get by booking on CO.com.

Is RewardsOne different? Could someone send a link to the details of that program? It should would be nice to get into the PC for free!
Old Jul 31, 2007, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by busygirl
Just did a search on the CO website. RewardsOne isn't a very clear program- when I searched a lot of CO Business Travel Manager program links came up. It doesn't look like Business Travel Manager gets you anything points-wise that you can't already get by booking on CO.com.

Is RewardsOne different? Could someone send a link to the details of that program? It should would be nice to get into the PC for free!
http://rewardone.continental.com/default.aspx

http://rewardone.continental.com/ben...616CE2C53B7E93

For every $1,000 spent for business travel*, your company will earn:

One point for travel to/from Cleveland, OH, Houston, TX, or Newark, NJ
Two points for travel to/from all other cities served by Continental

* Travel applies to non-discounted fares booked in A, J, C, D, Z, R, Y, H, K, M, N, B, O, V, or U class of service only

I am self employed so I used my tax ID number to enroll. I have used it for about 3 years now and i have had no issues with it. I use the points for PC membership and CO coupons.
Old Jul 31, 2007, 9:24 am
Original Poster

docr775:

You say you've used RewardOne. Do you receive any sort of tax statement when you redeem? I just want to be assured that my company will not suffer any consequences from my personally using the points.

Is the redemption process relatively pain-free? I know when redeeming frequent flyer miles, you can only fly on certain days. However, you just pay $10.00 to redeem and fly anywhere which ain't bad, so definitely worth it. Is there a charge for redeeming RewardOne?

Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated!
Old Jul 31, 2007, 3:44 pm

Programs: SPG plat, Mar plat, Hyatt plat, Amtrak sel+, AA gold, Hilton gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by chrisny2
Yes. They include:
Delta Skybonus
Northwest BizPerks
British Airways Venture Club
KLM BlueBiz
American Airlines Business ExtrAA
United Airlines PerksPlus
Starwood Preferred Business
...and more
Thanks! I thought I was a good Google searcher, but apparently not because I can't even get a search to bring these up.

Does Marriott have one?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.