Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > S.P.A.M.
Reload this Page >

e-Rewards devaluing AAdvantage award

e-Rewards devaluing AAdvantage award

Old Aug 26, 2005, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: PC: Platinum, DL: PM, National: Exec
Angry e-Rewards devaluing AAdvantage award

Received this from e-rewards. This means that the value of the reward has been cut by 60% to someone like me that uses them for AAdvantage miles.

Hello patrickATX,

Using your e-Rewards currency to get American Airlines AAdvantage® miles is about to get easier. That's right—based on feedback from members like you, we will soon be changing the reward items offered by American Airlines.

Beginning August 29th, when you redeem your e-Rewards currency at the $25, $50 or $100 level, you'll earn AAdvantage bonus miles credited directly to your AAdvantage account—with no flight required:

· $25 Level - 500 American Airlines AAdvantage bonus miles
· $50 Level - 1,000 American Airlines AAdvantage bonus miles
$100 Level - 2,000 American Airlines AAdvantage bonus miles

If you're planning to redeem your e-Rewards currency for the reward items currently offered by American Airlines, please keep in mind that the last day they will be available on the e-Rewards Reward Chart is Sunday, August 28th. The new rewards will be available for redemption beginning Monday, August 29th.

Sincerely,
The e-Rewards Team
Old Aug 26, 2005, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA, AA
I see both positive and negative in this. I have about $80 in rewards right now. I was trying to take a flight and get the actual miles, plus get the 2500 mile bonus from e-rewards. However, this way I can forgo the flight, save the money I would have spent, and get some miles directly to my account without flying. So depends on how you look at it, I guess.
Old Aug 26, 2005, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Maybe they should have offered one set of rewards with a trip, one set without.
Old Aug 26, 2005, 1:53 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum,Hilton Diamond,Hyatt Diamond,WN Companion Pass, AA Plat, Hertz Plat
For those of us who fly AA reguarly, this is bad news! I love the way they try and spin this into a positive. I wonder how they obtained the members feedback which they claim they used in making this change??

I have already wrote a protest response to them.
Old Aug 26, 2005, 2:05 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by patrickATX
Maybe they should have offered one set of rewards with a trip, one set without.
That would have been nice indeed. For me, this is good news in that I can now use otherwise useless e-Rewards currency to occasionally top off my AA account between HHonors redemptions.

But for those who fly AA, I can see why this is bad news.

And the email the o.p. posted from e-Rewards reminds me of the letter I once got from my bank telling me they were closing my branch "in order to serve me better."
Old Aug 26, 2005, 2:36 pm
Original Member

I hope I get a survey soon! I'm at $48!

Old Aug 26, 2005, 3:26 pm
uck

I think this new change is probably a response to the new offers from NWA (as they are identical in terms) as well as 'customer feedback'.
Old Aug 26, 2005, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

I received a response to my complaint:

Good Afternoon,

We appreciate that as a frequent traveler you have found the current reward structure valuable. We continuously evaluate our reward offers and use member feedback such as yours to identify ways to make them more useful for our members.

Last fall we offered a special promotion to our members, allowing them to redeem e-Rewards currency for AAdvantage bonus miles without the flight requirement. We received a lot of positive feedback from this promotion, and still receive e-mail from our members asking when we plan to remove the flight requirement again. It is largely in response to this feedback that we have changed the American Airlines rewards.

We empathize with your position, and understand how, as a frequent traveler, you would feel that the value of the American Airlines rewards has been diminished. However, for a great deal of our members this change is an improvement. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this change may cause. We hope that you might take this opportunity to consider redeeming your e-Rewards currency for rewards from our other program sponsors and partners, in addition to claiming the AAdvantage bonus miles.

Sincerely,

Corie Marsh
Old Aug 26, 2005, 3:41 pm

Programs: Avis PP, Hertz 5*, HH Gold
I wonder if AA award will become once-a-year as NWA is.
Old Aug 26, 2005, 3:57 pm

Location: Flooded out of Metairie, LA--moved to Baton Rouge! AA EXP/2MM; AirTran Elite; DL Nobody; Marriott Uber Plat; *Wood Gold; Maker's Mark Ambassador
Originally Posted by Tino
I hope I get a survey soon! I'm at $48!

The survey had better arrive today as the new AA award takes effect Monday.

I think it sux. The AA award was the only reason I am still participating in erewards. I was at $35 so I cashed in a $25/1,000 mile award today and will stay until I get the few dollars needed for a Blockbuster award then I'm gone.
Old Aug 26, 2005, 4:00 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP MM, HH Diamond
I got a survey yesterday for $6 which will take me over $50 - just got to hope it posts before Sunday
Old Aug 26, 2005, 4:04 pm
uck

Good point, hope not. But I guess we will find out in 3 days (still old terms on web site).

Originally Posted by dmitri
Old Aug 26, 2005, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by dmitri
ONCE a year! You must be joking!
Old Aug 26, 2005, 4:39 pm

Programs: co,skymiles hilton a.a usair
Originally Posted by shoodawg
ONCE a year! You must be joking!
well this it may be not to good for a lot people who fly american but it will be good for a lot more like who we dont fly a lot im sorry for all of you
Old Aug 26, 2005, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA Plat, and about everything else
Originally Posted by chavjs
well this it may be not to good for a lot people who fly american but it will be good for a lot more like who we dont fly a lot im sorry for all of you
agree in theory, but what about those that sometime when fly those that be already credit many too late ???

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.