Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > S.P.A.M.
Reload this Page >

Gas: Ways to save $

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gas: Ways to save $

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2005, 11:32 am

Programs: No more status...just doing my best in burning my points/miles.
Originally Posted by Lindisfarne
From what I've heard, if you must either use AC or roll down windows, rolling down windows is more efficient below about 40 mph, and A/C is more efficient over 40 mph. All to do with drag and aerodynamics and I'm sure on every car, the optimal point is slightly different.
It is true that the optimization point is around 50ish (freeway speeds), but if you use neither, you save the most gas.
Old Aug 26, 2005, 11:38 am

I can agree with this

Originally Posted by coachflyer
Comments from Tom & Ray on Cartalk on using lower octane gas in high performance cars:

"Dear Tom and Ray:

We purchased a '97 Nissan Maxima automatic in January and love it! The owner's manual recommends "unleaded premium gasoline with an octane rating of at least 91." It also says, "If unleaded premium is unavailable, unleaded regular gasoline with an octane rating of at least 87 can be used." Whenever I fill up the car (which is most of the time), I follow the manual's recommendation and use premium gas. But when my husband fills her up, he uses regular gasoline even when premium is available. So my question is, am I spending money needlessly on premium gasoline? And why would Nissan recommend premium gasoline if regular is OK to use? -- JoAnn

Tom: You're doing exactly the right thing, JoAnn.

Ray: This car has a high-compression engine that's designed to run on premium gas. But since there are places where premium gas is not available, and because premium gasolines can vary in octane, most manufacturers, including Nissan, use a "knock sensor" to protect the engine.

Tom: The knock sensor detects -- that's right -- "knocking" (also known as "pre-ignition" or "pinging")! Knocking is bad for the engine, and it often results from using lower-than-recommended-octane fuel. So when your cheapskate husband puts regular unleaded in the Maxima, the knock sensor kicks into action and retards the ignition timing to protect the engine.

Ray: Retarding the timing prevents the knocking, but it also reduces the engine's power, decreases fuel economy, probably increases the emissions, and may lead to a buildup of residue on the valves. So it's not an ideal situation. It won't hurt the engine if you use regular gas occasionally, but it prevents the engine from performing at the specifications at which it was designed to perform.

Tom: So I'd either take away your husband's keys, or increase his allowance by a few bucks a month so he can afford to buy premium. And if he's unhappy about having to spend the extra money, remind him that a car's fuel requirement (which can add many hundreds of dollars to the cost of owning a car over the years) is one of the things you should find out about before you put down your deposit."
I had the same car in manual, and it did get much better power and economy with 92 octane. However, in cars that do not require it, it is wasted money.
Old Aug 26, 2005, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO, AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by bgmvp
Excuse me? Is this the FLYER talk board for S.P.A.M.?
Moderator - move this lame thread someplace else.
The S.P. of S.P.A.M. stands for sites with points. This posting started out with information on various credit cards & frequent buyer cards offering points toward rebates (specifically gas).

I think this topic is quite appropriate.... even more so than the postings on iTunes, Starbucks, and Ensure shakes. I don't complain about those, but at least this thread deals with 1) travel and 2) points.
Old Aug 26, 2005, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Thanks for the tip on Discover and the Gas Program. I just dusted off the card I was sent a few months ago to activate it and join the gas rebate program. Listening to the rep read the t&c including each comma, period and the individual numberswas painful but I'm all set. They are also giving me a bonus of $1 per txn up to 20 txns for the first 30 days. ^ That helps since the rebate program won't kick in until the next cycle.

I'll try to get the Speedpass deal, too but doubt that will work at this late date.
Old Aug 26, 2005, 9:21 pm

Programs: AA,UA,HH,Marriott
I think the citi gas card sounds better than Discover, since the 5% also includes groceries. I haven't read all the small print, but with our Sam's Discover card, I believe you have to spend $10,000 before you start getting rebates. I don't know about the gas cards. Unless you get the rebate right away, I think I'll stick to my miles cards. Jean
Old Aug 26, 2005, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jaybee
I think the citi gas card sounds better than Discover, since the 5% also includes groceries. I haven't read all the small print, but with our Sam's Discover card, I believe you have to spend $10,000 before you start getting rebates. I don't know about the gas cards. Unless you get the rebate right away, I think I'll stick to my miles cards. Jean
I'm not giving up my *wood or UA cards, but this is handy for gas (I was using my costco card previously).

According to the rep I had, the Discover card gas rebate starts on the next cycle and you get 5% on the first $1,500 spent on gas, no initial amount you have to spend before the rebate begins to accrue. After the initial fifteen hundred, the percent is reduced for the next level until you are at the standard 1% level. I think it was $5K spending or something like that. I'm hoping not to meet that as I'll only be using this card for gas purchases.
Old Aug 28, 2005, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by GoingAway
According to the rep I had, the Discover card gas rebate starts on the next cycle and you get 5% on the first $1,500 spent on gas, no initial amount you have to spend before the rebate begins to accrue. After the initial fifteen hundred, the percent is reduced for the next level until you are at the standard 1% level. I think it was $5K spending or something like that. I'm hoping not to meet that as I'll only be using this card for gas purchases.
The tiers are as follows: 5% on purchases at gas stations (usually includes the convenience store as well) and 1% on all OTHER purchases for the first $1500 of purchases in your anniversary year; 3% on gas station purchases and 0.5% on all other purchases for the next $1500 of purchases; 1% on gas purchases and 0.25% on all other purchases for all purchases over the first $3000.

BTW, if you call up and ask questions about these tiers, most reps won't know what you're talking about until you specifically tell them you have reverse tiers and to look up the T&Cs. They're trained to deal with the regular Discover tiers and most reps haven't dealt with these specialty cards often or at all.

In principle, the tiers reset on your anniversary date, but in my particular case, the tier reset didn't happen until two billing cycles LATER, which kinda sucked.

The Citi card is certainly nice. I would recommend using the Discover card for your first $1500 in purchases, and if you happen to exceed that (KEEP TRACK!), then move your gas purchases to the Citi card to continue earning 5%. In my case, I buy gas at Costco so my non-Costco gas purchases are minimal - I just use the Citi card.

If you have a Costco station handy, it will often be more than 5% cheaper than your other stations (it certainly is around here)... check it out on a few different days to see if this is usually the case, and if so, you will save more by gassing at Costco than elsewhere. Keep in mind you can't use your Discover or Citi cards at Costco, of course, but you *CAN* use any AmEx, like your *Wood card or the Costco card. The Costco card earns (up to) 1.5% cashback you'll still be earning some rebate as well! Your *Wood card would earn the usual points, valued however you choose to value them.

Just thoughts to keep in mind, and numbers to crunch.

Last edited by cepheid; Aug 28, 2005 at 4:09 pm
Old Aug 28, 2005, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. I appreciate it. I'll track the $$s starting next month, right now its 20 txns I need to track (I"m admittedly horrible at the tracking part) for the next 30 days - 1 down, 19 to go.

Unfortunately for the gas, the nearest Costco gas is too far away for me to make it my regular station but I do use it whenever I'm out in that direction. I'll think about Citi, but didn't like them years ago as a company so not sure I"m jumping on that ship now.
Old Aug 28, 2005, 8:40 pm

Join Upromise to save at Exxon & Mobil

Around Memphis, Exxon usually is one of the cheapest options. Join Upromise to save 1 cent per gallon at Exxon & Mobil stations. Its not a lot, but every bit helps! This is 'stackable' with using the Citi Dividend or Preferred Rewards cards to get 5% back on all gas purchases. Its also stackable with the current speedpass promo mentioned above.

You now have to buy 20+ gallons per month at Exxon & Mobil stations to get a rebate. Here are the details:
https://lty.s.upromise.com/8333.do
Old Aug 29, 2005, 9:16 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Marriott, Hilton, Goldpoints, Northwest
How to save

Walk.
Old Aug 29, 2005, 9:30 am

Programs: NWA, UA Silver. Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ClassCAir
The S.P. of S.P.A.M. stands for sites with points. This posting started out with information on various credit cards & frequent buyer cards offering points toward rebates (specifically gas).

I think this topic is quite appropriate.... even more so than the postings on iTunes, Starbucks, and Ensure shakes. I don't complain about those, but at least this thread deals with 1) travel and 2) points.
If you dont think this thread is intersting or what not. dont read it. that simple. i think this thread AND the itunes are very relative to FT.
Old Aug 29, 2005, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO, AA, UA, DL
Save 5% at Costco etc.

AmEx Blue Cash can earn you 5% cash back on gas if you use the card a lot. The catch, you only earn 5% after you have already spent $6,500 on the card year-to-date. The good thing is that you would earn cash back with Costco Gas.

Chase Visa also has 5% as mentioned previously, plus there are several other which offer cash back (Google: Gas Rebate Card) and AAA's Visa.
Old Aug 29, 2005, 2:29 pm

Programs: CX Gold, UA Silver, AA Gold (1MM), Marriott Plat
This may seem like a weird one:
I live at the end of a very quiet cul-de-sac. Once I turn onto my street I'll put the transmission in neutral, kill the engine and coast the 30 seconds or so it takes for me to get to my parking spot on the side of the street. This technique is not for everyone obviously and people should be aware that you will only have about 2-3 good brake pumps before the power braking goes away. (likewise, power steering will be gone shortly after killing the engine).

Also, when I fill up at a certain costco, the lines can be long but there is a slight incline towards the pumps. I'll kill the engine and use gravity to pull me forward when the line moves a little bit. I'll turn on the engine only when I'm "stuck" in a flat part of the lot.
Old Aug 29, 2005, 3:34 pm

A much better deal is to buy gas through Kroger if there is one in your area and you shop there a lot. They are having a huge sale if you already have points on your plus card. I'm not sure of the particulars, but the details are liek this.

Points Earned Award
150-349 10¢ per gal on 4 fill-ups
350-549 20¢ per gal on 4 fill-ups
550-749 30¢ per gal on 4 fill-ups
750- & up 50¢ per gal on 4 fill-ups

1 Point = $1.00

Participating Stores and Fuel Centers Only.
Old Aug 29, 2005, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by ClassCAir
AmEx Blue Cash can earn you 5% cash back on gas if you use the card a lot. The catch, you only earn 5% after you have already spent $6,500 on the card year-to-date. The good thing is that you would earn cash back with Costco Gas.
Actually, if you read the fine print, the 5% number includes a "bonus" for carrying a balance... meaning you have to pay finance charges to get your increased cashback. If you do not carry a balance, you earn only 3% on your gas purchases (and that's in the top tier, after your $6500 in spending). In general, the Blue Cash card is NOT a good deal... you'd be much better off using the Citi Dividend card at grocery stores, drug stores, and gas stations (same places you'd get the higher bonus with Blue Cash), and using your Costco AmEx card elsewhere (because it gives the same cashback as Blue, but with lower tiers and NO maximum per year).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.