Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > S.P.A.M.
Reload this Page >

Goldpoints Transfer Strategy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2002, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere

I'm trying to decide the best way to handle my goldpoints account balance.

I'd like to accumulate points and transfer them to United, Continental or Delta. If United, I would probablyl use them for FF tickets. For Delta I'd probably transfer them to HH.

Is my best strategy to let them sit in goldpoints or just get them out of the account as fast as they are earned? If so, where do you think is the best place to send them to.

My intention for the account, because of the ability to transfer point to so many different places, was much like I treat my Diner's account - hold them there until I need them.

With Goldpoints getting rid of so many of the shopping partners, I'm getting a little concerned about their viability (plus my ability to earn more points).

What do you think? Transfer as I get them or hold on to them until I need them?

Mary

[This message has been edited by Mary2e (edited 03-22-2002).]
Old Mar 22, 2002, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA PLT (1MM); SPG GLD
Mary,

Hedge your bet - transfer some now and save some for a rainy day.

But *always* *always* *always* transfer in 6K blocks. Why? For any transfer larger than 2K, I've gotten a 500 mile bonus (on AA and UA). Example:

8 6K transfers == 8x1.5K + 8x500 = 16K
6 8K transfers == 6x2K + 6x500 = 15K
1 50K transfer == 12.5K + 500 == 13K
25 2K transfers == 15x500 == 12.5K

Added the following 3/22:

This effectively makes the rate 3GP == 1 mile, rather than 4GP == 1 mile.

*Don't* call and ask to make 8 6,000 point transfers in one day. It's likely to post in a different manner (such 2 20Ks +1 8k), reducing the bonus points.

*Do* call every several days to make the transfers.

*Don't* sign up for automatic transfers (unless they can automatically transfer 6K per week - haven't looked into that option).

[This message has been edited by CutStyle (edited 03-23-2002).]
Old Mar 22, 2002, 7:03 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
I don't think GoldPoints is going anywhere, and I'm letting my points stay there until I need them for who knows what ... an extra few thousand for an award ... or a partner for a promotion (ala, NW's 5/10 and AA's 20/20 promos) or even to dump 500 in one account or another to extend the expiration date. Keeping them flexible makes them much more valuable ...
Old Mar 22, 2002, 7:42 pm

my GP --> CO miles auto-posted in increments of 12k miles + 500 bonus miles per transaction...
Old Mar 23, 2002, 12:02 pm

Location: Los Angeles, CA; temporarily in Pensacola Beach, FL; no, I have NO elite status in ANYTHING yet - but working on AA Lifetime GLD!
Just had 221,500 AA miles post in 12K blocks with a 10,500 total point bonus. Probably could have gotten more if I transferred in 6K blocks but with all the delays with getting the GoldPoints, I wasn't about to get picky.

- Sameer
Old Mar 23, 2002, 1:28 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Anyone receive or not receive a 500 mile bonus for transfering goldpoints for Delta or NWA?
Old Mar 23, 2002, 10:27 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
How long is it takeing for transfers?
I requested 100,000 point transfers (25000 Miles) into both my and mothers accounts on 3/01 and the points came out of the GP accounts on 3/04, but nothing to the British Airways accounts yet.
I don't want to go bonkers yet...
Old Mar 23, 2002, 11:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by needathrill:
Anyone receive or not receive a 500 mile bonus for transfering goldpoints for Delta or NWA?</font>
DL -- not.
Old Mar 24, 2002, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Thanks everyone. Looks like I'll hold them in the account and then transfer them in 6k blocks...

I did a very large transfer in Jan to UA (about 82k) and didn't notice any bonuses.
Is this new?

Mary
Old Mar 25, 2002, 8:41 am

Have Goldpoints, never transferred before -- question for all you experts -- do you transfer to Radisson first, then redeem into AA? If so, how do you do this? Thanks, George
Old Mar 25, 2002, 10:03 am

Programs: AA PLT (1MM); SPG GLD
Mary2e:

I received bonuses on tranfers to UA on 12/10/01, 12/11/01, and 01/18/02.

Gwelkins:

You need to have a GoldPoints number issues by Radisson in order to transfer to AA. If you already have a GoldPoints number issued by www.goldpoints.com or TGIFridays, no problem. Go to www.radisson.com and sign up for another GoldPoints number. Then call GoldPoints and ask to have your accounts merged, with your Radisson-issued number being the number that continues.

Then, to transfer points, just call customer service (800)508-9000 (x5 is for transfers).

Good luck.
Old Mar 26, 2002, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CutStyle:
Mary,

Hedge your bet - transfer some now and save some for a rainy day.

But *always* *always* *always* transfer in 6K blocks. Why? For any transfer larger than 2K, I've gotten a 500 mile bonus (on AA and UA). Example:

8 6K transfers == 8x1.5K + 8x500 = 16K
6 8K transfers == 6x2K + 6x500 = 15K
1 50K transfer == 12.5K + 500 == 13K
25 2K transfers == 15x500 == 12.5K

Added the following 3/22:

This effectively makes the rate 3GP == 1 mile, rather than 4GP == 1 mile.

*Don't* call and ask to make 8 6,000 point transfers in one day. It's likely to post in a different manner (such 2 20Ks +1 8k), reducing the bonus points.

*Do* call every several days to make the transfers.

*Don't* sign up for automatic transfers (unless they can automatically transfer 6K per week - haven't looked into that option).

[This message has been edited by CutStyle (edited 03-23-2002).]
</font>
Great advice! I ended my automatic transfers by calling Gold Points. While I was on the phone with them, I asked if the automatic transfers could be done in blocks of a different size than 2K, and it appears that the answer is no. So from now on, I'll transfer them in 6K blocks by calling. Of course, who knows how long the 500-point bonus will last? In any case, I'll have the option of moving points to a different FF account each time I make a transfer.

Kathy

Old Mar 26, 2002, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
CutStyle, great advice. Thanks.
Old Mar 28, 2002, 5:44 pm
Kim

Regarding the 500 bonus miles...
1. Is this a special promo for a limited time?
2. Which airlines give the bonus miles?

I called Gold Points to ask them about that and they said they were not aware of it. Is this posted anywhere on the airlines web page? Thanks for helping me clarify this.
Old Mar 28, 2002, 6:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Kim:
Regarding the 500 bonus miles...
1. Is this a special promo for a limited time?
2. Which airlines give the bonus miles?

I called Gold Points to ask them about that and they said they were not aware of it. Is this posted anywhere on the airlines web page? Thanks for helping me clarify this.
</font>
The beauty of this deal is that noone really knows! AA for certain, UAL sometimes, DL never...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.