Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > S.P.A.M.
Reload this Page >

Experiences around referring oneself?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2014, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Does anyone have a real concrete example of getting in trouble (and how much trouble) for referring themselves on a site to get another shot at the referral bonus.

Basically there is a site that I found this loophole in where simply a new email address can keep the bonus gravy train running. Their software Isnt checking anything else. And terms conditions dont mention much either. But I'm skeptical of doing it because what if I get in trouble. Then again, if the trouble is just one account closure maybe its worth it?

Do peiple have real life examples around this for perspective? To clarify I'm not advocating anyone try this (hence didn't reveal the site). I just want to know if someone has and what their experiences were.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 6:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond
Well I know hotel tonight and uber tracks users MAC address. I refered uber to my gf on my iphone. They didn't give me a referral credit and tried to charge her for the ride. Their customer service stinks and said we committed fraud lol. Mind you she doesn't currently have a smart phone.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 7:44 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by ryan754
Well I know hotel tonight and uber tracks users MAC address. I refered uber to my gf on my iphone. They didn't give me a referral credit and tried to charge her for the ride. Their customer service stinks and said we committed fraud lol. Mind you she doesn't currently have a smart phone.
How do you know that hoteltonight tracks? Personal experience?
Old Apr 13, 2014, 7:43 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond
I believe the issue with HT was referring family and using the same CC, or device.. I forgot.. They took away my credits, but I sorted it out.. I think if you use HT and make multiple referrals you must use a different name/email/CC.. Also there has to be a certain spend for the money to come through.. It's great in Vegas/Reno and markets like that..
Old Apr 13, 2014, 9:14 am

there are plenty of places that will shut down both the referrer and the referral, confiscating all earned rewards. swagbucks comes to mind as one example, but i am sure there are others.

i am aware of one presently active referral system that operates exactly as OP describes - the only requirement is a unique email address. there is no cost to join, but don't expect payouts anytime soon. so, nothing lost if they catch on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.