Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > S.P.A.M.
Reload this Page >

Spend $150 by 9/18/10 at OfficeMax.com: Free Companion Airfare

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2010, 10:56 am
Original Poster

http://www.officemax.com/home/custom..._-hero_details

Valid thru September 18, 2010.

What you need to do:

•Shop online today and spend $150 or more to qualify.
Enter coupon code FLYFREE in the shopping cart. Code is case sensitive and must be entered in ALL CAPS.
•Within 30 days, you will receive an email from OfficeMax® with your Registration PIN number and directions to the registration website.
•Book a flight for yourself and a companion on one of 19 participating airlines to and from 110 cities.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 11:04 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Stay as far away from this as you can.

I participated in a similar promo a couple years ago from Kohl's. You have to go through their specific travel agent and the prices they quote you are sometimes almost twice as high. Essentially you are paying 2x for a single fair. It was entirely possible to buy 2 tickets on your own and still come in cheaper than the promo.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 11:26 am

Programs: (almost) everything!
Check AMEX forum.

AMEX SkyGuide offers same "a free airline companion ticket" (booking through specific agent (companionbooking.com)) after signing up "two free issues of SkyGuide" at $2.99 processing fee.

Stay away.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 9:28 pm

Programs: JetBlue TrueBlue, AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards, Sky Miles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Hertz
I tend to stay away from these as well, but a blogger's site I frequent came up with this crazy 'scenario' as she often calls it regarding this OfficeMax "free ticket" deal. Right now I am too lazy to do the work involved...but let me know what you all think:

http://hip2save.com/2010/09/officema...-scenario.html
Old Sep 15, 2010, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Run, don't walk, away from this. You'll spend more than if you just bought two discounted coach tickets.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 9:02 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by dchristiva
Run, don't walk, away from this. You'll spend more than if you just bought two discounted coach tickets.
Did you read the T&Cs? Or are you generalizing based on past knowledge about some other promo?

This is exactly the same as the most commonly discussed Amex Publishing promos. While it's not usually favorable, it is far less than most full-fare prices. And short-notice flights are not even an option.

For some select routes or for certain travel dates, the price is better than booking the standard fares. Here's a link to one of the threads with the facts. My post #s 35 and 37 provide a lot of details and some examples.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.