Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Ryanair
Reload this Page >

Ryanair payment handling fee(s)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2009, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM; 2MM

To defray the substantial administration costs we incur when processing credit and debit cards or ELV direct debits a handling fee applies to each passenger per flight segment.

As a special offer to Visa Electron card holders, Ryanair, for a limited period only, will not apply a handling fee.
Can someone please enlighten me and explain which US debit cards can be used - will be accepted to pay without additional charges and free of "handling-fee" - if any at all ?

Have no idea what exactly the "Visa Electron" is !
Old Apr 8, 2009, 10:43 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_Electron

Its not available in USA so you cannot escape the handling fees
Old Apr 8, 2009, 1:53 pm

The whole point of Ryanair - and other European low costs - offering "free" booking using Visa Electron is that it gives them a legal way of having low headline prices. However compared to other forms of payment few people have an Electron card so Ryanair and the rest get a "nice little earner" whilst still being legal.

Of course Ryanair is the only one that charges the fee per passenger per flight so a couple doing a return trip will pay four fees
Old Apr 9, 2009, 1:33 am

Originally Posted by alanR
The whole point of Ryanair - and other European low costs - offering "free" booking using Visa Electron is that it gives them a legal way of having low headline prices. However compared to other forms of payment few people have an Electron card so Ryanair and the rest get a "nice little earner" whilst still being legal.

Of course Ryanair is the only one that charges the fee per passenger per flight so a couple doing a return trip will pay four fees

I believe this to be not quite true. As I understand - as per EU directive - one free-of-charge method of payment has to be offered. Ryanair does that with Visa Electron, which is widely available in Great Britain and some other EU countries. Escpecially the eastern and northern EU countries use Visa Electron where it is a preferred credit card. I have some Norwegian and Polish friends who were rather surprised to find that this card is so hard to get in other countries; they receive the Visa Electron with the opening of any bank account.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by alanR

Afaik some LCCs also charge a handling fee for using a visa electron as well, like wizzair, skyeurope etc. Even KLM which is not a LCC charges a 5 euro fee for credit card payments.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by el_cid_cdor
Afaik some LCCs also charge a handling fee for using a visa electron as well, like wizzair, skyeurope etc. Even KLM which is not a LCC charges a 5 euro fee for credit card payments.
If an airline charges a handling fee for ALL payment methods then they have to include that fee in their advertised price (as opposed to adding it later). If there is at least one payment method (such as Visa Electron, or bank transfer) which does not incur handling fees then it is legal for that fee to be added later.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by Aviatrix
If an airline charges a handling fee for ALL payment methods then they have to include that fee in their advertised price (as opposed to adding it later). If there is at least one payment method (such as Visa Electron, or bank transfer) which does not incur handling fees then it is legal for that fee to be added later.
Yes and all LCCs exploit it to full.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by anjode
rather surprised to find that this card is so hard to get in other countries
One country where it is impossible to get a Visa Electron card is Ireland - yup where Ryanair is based.

You can avoid the charge without having an Electron card by using Ryanair Gift Vouchers - where there's *only* a £5 / €5 processing fee BUT they only come in units of £25 / $25 and if you use even a penny or cent off one you lose the outstanding balance - and if you top up with a CC / DC they'll charge you for the card use.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 11:55 am

Programs: NW Silver, BD Silver
Another way...

You can get a virtual Visa Electron card from Entropay. You load money onto the card via debit cards/bank transfers. They charge a % fee for loading/withdrawing money, there is no charge for spending. I've used it recently without problems.

NOTE: You MUST select GBP as the account currency, EUR/USD cards aren't recognised as Visa Electron. (I had to find out the hard way...)
Old Apr 13, 2009, 10:20 am

Programs: BA, bmi, USAir, Aeroplan, AirBerlin, Marriott, SolMeliaMas, BAAWorldpoints
Although Ryanair's non-Electron card fees look disgraceful, remember it's the total fare that counts and how this compares with competitor airlines' fares.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 1:14 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Seat64A
Although Ryanair's non-Electron card fees look disgraceful, remember it's the total fare that counts and how this compares with competitor airlines' fares.
To a certain extent I'd agree, but as I say to everyone who'll listen: it's an amazing thing Ryanair have done - made air travel unbelievably cheap - and still leave people feeling ripped off.
Old Apr 15, 2009, 12:06 am

Programs: BA, bmi, USAir, Aeroplan, AirBerlin, Marriott, SolMeliaMas, BAAWorldpoints
Good point and Ryanair has - to a great extent - only itself to blame.

I think, though, that there are many passengers who are relatively new to flying and have no idea what carriers were charging 10, 20 or 30 years ago on the same routes.
Old Apr 15, 2009, 12:22 am

Programs: M&M, BA Silver, Accor LeClub Gold
Visa electron is not a 'credit' card

For the sake of clarity, I'd like to point out that Visa electron is not a credit card - it is a payment card. If you don't have the cleared funds in your account, you can't spend.
Old Apr 15, 2009, 12:44 am

Lets face it. Its Ryanair. The airline that has customized 737s with extra emergency exits so that the can fit in more self-loafding freight.

What do you expect? You pay extra for everything, if your lucky you´ll end up still below the major carrier fares (considering you factored in the extra hour over rural roads to get to the abandonded military fields they fly from), if you´re unlucky you pay more.

Did I mention there´s no miles and no better treatment for FFs?

Let´s face it: If you choose Ryanair, you get Ryanair. Southwest will seem like a dream of business class travel..
Old Apr 15, 2009, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Oh, dear. Another pejorative post with little to offer except misleading generalisation.

I'm no apologist for Ryanair - they have Michael O'Liary for that. The fact remains that (i) nobody is compelled to fly Ryanair and (ii) what they do they do very well. They also operate to numerous destinations not served by legacy carriers.

Originally Posted by hwmorth
... if your lucky you´ll end up still below the major carrier fares
True, though as always YMMV.
... considering you factored in the extra hour over rural roads to get to the abandonded military fields they fly from ...
I must remember to look for the rural roads on my way to "'abandonded' military fields" like STN, LGW, LTN, BHX, MAN, LPL, EDI, DUB, ORK, VIE, PRG, NCE, SXF, BSL, BRE, MAD, KRK, OPO, AGP, ALC, PMI to name but a few of Ryanair's destinations.
Did I mention there´s no miles and no better treatment for FFs?
No need to. It's a low frills operator, no miles offered, no FF treatment offered. I thought everybody knew this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.